Kessel Vetoed trade to Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
I know this has probably been mentioned in various threads, but wanted to start a thread on it for some follow ups. (Mods - please feel free to merge if this doesn't warrant it's own thread)

Penguins GM Jim Rutherford says he now expects Phil Kessel back

The PPG Article said:
The Penguins engaged in trade discussions regarding Kessel and had a deal in place that would have sent Kessel and defenseman Jack Johnson to the Wild for forwards Jason Zucker and Victor Rask. But Kessel would not waive his partial no-trade clause, which allows him to choose eight teams to which he can be traded.

This happened before the Maatta trade, which is why JMFJ was included in the potential deal with Kessel. I don't want to get into all of the chain reactions, but that probably means we'd still have Maatta if this deal had happened. But my questions are these:

1) Does anyone know which 8 teams are on Kessel's list? I know a lot of times you'll see players list teams that they know will never want them. i.e. the Leafs and Bruins are likely never taking Phil back, so he'd list them as allowable trade options knowing he'd never have to worry about being dealt there

2) Is there any chance we can still get Zucker without moving Phil? I know the Pens still want him, but cap space, while doable, would be tight to have both of them.

3) I've never been Phil's biggest fan, but him vetoing this trade probably isn't going to win him over any more fans in Pittsburgh. He's already frustrating fans/players/coaches/executives/etc so why would he do this to stay with the Pens where he's not universally loved?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
This has been discussed ad nauseam in the salary cap/roster building thread. We've known for a couple weeks that he rejected the trade.

1. We don't know his 8 team list. It's believed Arizona and Vegas are two of them, but not confirmed. He can change the list every year.
2. The Pens want Zucker. They can't get him without moving salary, which would be Kessel.
3. If Kessel plays in Pittsburgh this season, he'll win fans back over if he produces. The only way it goes south is if he stinks, which is unlikely, even after a frustrating year last season. He's still a good player.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I don't think we're in on Zucker unless someone bites on JJ and another surplus blueliner.
Unless it's JJ and Gudbranson, need more than just JJ to go. Zucker makes $5.5 million. That's why the Kessel deal is attractive. You save a tiny bit of cash, which helps with the RFAs the Pens need to sign.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Unless it's JJ and Gudbranson, need more than just JJ to go. Zucker makes $5.5 million. That's why the Kessel deal is attractive. You save a tiny bit of cash, which helps with the RFAs the Pens need to sign.

Yeah, I know. JJ and Schultz, JJ and Gudbranson, or JJ and Rust would all work.

Or Horny. I mean, there's ways of getting Zucker in, if that's what we want and Kessel's not the piece going back.

Last edited:

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not mad at Phil for using his power granted to him in his contract to veto a trade. Not sure why anyone sensibly would be. It's not like he was asking to be traded, making a big deal about it on social media, talking shit to teammates, and then sabotaged it the final minutes of the deal like Antonio Brown did.

Phil is a PPG player with a good price tag. If a trade isn't going to get done, then it's 100% on Sullivan and Rutherford need to find a way to make a Kessel line work. The blame in on them if Phil doesn't work next season.

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
Can we all drop this nonsense that Kessel had a bad year. Points at the beginning of the season are worth the same as ones near the end. The guy fetched 82 points, while taking 2 months off. Want to know why shit went south? Because outside Dumo and Tanger our transition game is awful. Also having a carousel of line combo's outside our top line didnt help.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Not mad at Phil for using his power granted to him in his contract to veto a trade. Not sure why anyone sensibly would be. It's not like he was asking to be traded, making a big deal about it on social media, talking **** to teammates, and then sabotaged it the final minutes of the deal like Antonio Brown did.

Phil is a PPG player with a good price tag. If a trade isn't going to get done, then it's 100% on Sullivan and Rutherford need to find a way to make a Kessel line work. The blame in on them if Phil doesn't work next season.
Phil had the ability to veto the trade this is true. And Sully has the ability to healthy scratch him and end his iron man streak if he doesn't backcheck in earnest. Sully also has the option of playing him on the 3rd or 4th line consistently.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Phil had the ability to veto the trade this is true. And Sully has the ability to healthy scratch him and end his iron man streak if he doesn't backcheck in earnest. Sully also has the option of playing him on the 3rd or 4th line consistently.

Sure, Sully has the ability to make the team worse by playing Garrett Wilson instead of Phil or in place of Phil, and sure Sully has the ability to put the Pens in better positions to lose games and lose his job as a result...sure, he’s got that option, but sanity usually prevails before you push the button to blow yourself up...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sure, Sully has the ability to make the team worse by playing Garrett Wilson instead of Phil or in place of Phil, and sure Sully has the ability to put the Pens in better positions to lose games and lose his job as a result...sure, he’s got that option, but sanity usually prevails before you push the button to blow yourself up...
I don't think scratching Phil a game or two constitutes that, do you?

Reactions: BillPrep

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think scratching Phil a game or two constitutes that, do you?

If the other players think Phil being scratched hurts the team, meaning his replacement is worse, then Sully is over...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If the other players think Phil being scratched hurts the team, meaning his replacement is worse, then Sully is over...
I'd be fine with that IF the new coach gets the most of the personnel he inherits. In any case IF Sully wants to relegate Phil to a lesser line, so be it. He knows what's going on here, he's doing it to himself.

Reactions: BillPrep and Andy99

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Yay, looking forward to another season of floating around with a -30 at the end of the year.

Reactions: Dominance

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Can we all drop this nonsense that Kessel had a bad year. Points at the beginning of the season are worth the same as ones near the end. The guy fetched 82 points, while taking 2 months off. Want to know why **** went south? Because outside Dumo and Tanger our transition game is awful. Also having a carousel of line combo's outside our top line didnt help.

Kessel's most common 5on5 D linemates... cover your mouth

1. Johnson
2. Dumoulin
3. Petterson
4. Maatta
5. Letang

Malkin is the obvious forward partner... but how about the next 2...?

2. Pearson
3. ZAR

2ankaviv9e131.jpg

Kessel doesn't even know who Letang and Schultz are off the powerplay

/

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Can we all drop this nonsense that Kessel had a bad year. Points at the beginning of the season are worth the same as ones near the end. The guy fetched 82 points, while taking 2 months off. Want to know why **** went south? Because outside Dumo and Tanger our transition game is awful. Also having a carousel of line combo's outside our top line didnt help.

Kessel was f***ing awful defensively and also insubordinate when it came to the lines. His points are just as inflated as Neal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->