Kessel to OHL smarter route!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Kessel score 60 goals next year in the OHL? Are you kidding me? Who was the last player to score 60 goals in the OHL? That rarely happens anymore. Better yet, who was the last player to score 60 goals in the OHL as a 17 or 18-year-old, let alone as a 20-year-old? Sorry, but he's not that good.

If Kessel wants to get a decent education while focusing on hockey, the collegiate route is his best option. If he wants to focus solely on hockey in what is a better league, a league that plays more of a pro-style game, his better option is in major junior.

PS: He'd probably get a better education if he attended post-secondary in Canada than the U.S., but the hockey level in the U.S. is a notch above.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Brock said:
I'm implying right away, as in directly after his draft season. Very few NCAA players make the jump to professional hockey after their freshman seasons.

and there are a lot of OHL players making the jump to professional hockey immediately after their draft year??

This is a non-factor for the elite players with that sort of potential. If they are that good, it doesn't matter a tinker's damn whether they play in Canada or the US.

As someone said, the choice for the elite is really governed by two factors:

1. Want to play a pro style schedule against younger players, with more games and less emphasis on practice, or want to practice quite a lot more, with fewer games, against older and more mature players? Take your pick - either works.

2. Want your education to start now, or after junior, should you not make it, get injured, or whatever.

The last factor that comes in to play is whether you want to stay closer to home or go off into another country to experience it - that also cuts both ways.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
PS: He'd probably get a better education if he attended post-secondary in Canada than the U.S., but the hockey level in the U.S. is a notch above.

You are joking, right??

I am a proud Canadian who went to university in Canada, but anyone who thinks, after a decade or more of across the board cuts at just about every Canadian University, that we deliver a "better education" has not kept track of class size issues, quality of faculty, support to technology, etc. etc. etc. There are some Universities with Tier 1 NCAA Hockey that might not be better than most Canadian Universities, but not very many!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
gb701 said:
You are joking, right??

I am a proud Canadian who went to university in Canada, but anyone who thinks, after a decade or more of across the board cuts at just about every Canadian University, that we deliver a "better education" has not kept track of class size issues, quality of faculty, support to technology, etc. etc. etc. There are some Universities with Tier 1 NCAA Hockey that might not be better than most Canadian Universities, but not very many!

I was scratching my head at that as well. Is he implying that education at a Canadian Uni is, in general, better than at an American school? :dunno:

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Ahh yes back to the old familiar debate and even though it is getting real old going through this again, with all the misconceptions and outright false hoods I just feel compelled to state my point.

First off, if Kessel does play in the NCAA then good for him! He was not exposed to the OHL as a youth and, according to what was stated many times in numerous publications, his dream has been to win a NCAA championship since he was a wee squirt. As for the education aspect, who are we to speculate or say that he is not going to college to earn a degree and will bail after one or two at most seasons. It may be his intention to actually graduate and while I really do not see such a possibility coming to pass, this in no way changes his intentions to earn a degree.

As for which system is better for his development, well neither option will truely hurt or impede his progression towards the NHL.

For those of you, however, who feel that he will get more of out the NCAA because of more practice time to game ratio, let me remind you (or inform you for the first time) that over the course of a season, CHL players are on the ice longer, and not only play more games but actually gain more practice time than their NCAA counterparts.

For those of you who believe that the CHL scholarship packages are a scam or that few if any use them, please tell that to the 258 current and former WHL players who are enrolled in University classes for free or the 200 OHL alums playing in the CIS at no cost to themselves. The majority of OHL players take post secondary courses while still playing in the OHL. Many of those then place a pro career on the back burner while they attend school full time with their former OHL club picking up the tab. The fact of the matter is that just because a player decides to go the Major A route, it in no way means that he is giving up on his education!

I am a little tired of hearing the old "the NCAA players are older, bigger and stronger" line as well. Older yes but bigger and stronger? It is widely believed that Kessel will, if he chooses the college route, play for the Gophs. The average age of that team is 21, compared to the 18.5 years of age of the Saginaw Spirit (who hold Kessel's rights). So yes the NCAA is 2.5 years older. The Gophs average height, however, is 5'11 and a weight of a whopping 180 pounds. Saginaw's average height and weight in contrast stands at 6'1 and 191 pounds. So who is bigger/stronger? On average, Major A teams tend to be larger than their NCAA counterparts and the game also tends to be more physical. So if he does choose the OHL route (which is highly unlikely at this time), it will in no way hamper his development just because he is playing against players his own age.

espo*

I'm sure he will develop just fine going the ncaaa route.He and his family probably have several erasons why they want him to go the college route and have most likely thought about this for years now and are making what they believe is the best decision for him.Not that Brock does'nt have some good points but i think Kessel will develop fine just about anywhere....he seems like that kind of player to me.ncaa or major junior...he should be fine.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
PS: He'd probably get a better education if he attended post-secondary in Canada than the U.S. said:
And that's why no league supplies more players to the NHL the NCAA, or the USJHL right? Give your head a shake man. :shakehead

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
eddiedaeagle20 said:
PS: He'd probably get a better education if he attended post-secondary in Canada than the U.S. said:
And that's why no league supplies more players to the NHL the NCAA, or the USJHL right? Give your head a shake man. :shakehead

No, he's saying that the collegiate hockey in the US is better than the collegiate hockey in Canada, which it is, though I'd disagree with his word "notch" and suggest "several notches."

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
VOB said:
For those of you who believe that the CHL scholarship packages are a scam or that few if any use them, please tell that to the 258 current and former WHL players who are enrolled in University classes for free or the 200 OHL alums playing in the CIS at no cost to themselves. The majority of OHL players take post secondary courses while still playing in the OHL. Many of those then place a pro career on the back burner while they attend school full time with their former OHL club picking up the tab. The fact of the matter is that just because a player decides to go the Major A route, it in no way means that he is giving up on his education!

Scholly packages for a kid like Kessel is a scam. An average player who will be minor pro fodder then it's an awesome deal! Kessel isn't going to put his pro career on hold to take advantage of a University scholarship to a CIS program.

It's a sweat deal for a lot of the home grown Canadian boys who don't have much of a future in the pro game but for the majority who have a future, it's a waste.

Sp5618

Nov 26, 2004
Madison, WI

Kessel was born and raised in Madison, Wisconsin, right?

Madison is a college town through and through, with maybe only Ann Arbor, Michigan, as a good comparison. These cities are chock full of educators, researchers, professionals...people who generally "value" an uni education moreso than the average Joe.

If he grew up in an environment where NCAA hockey was the best hockey around, he probably has grown up believing this is the route to take. It's kind of what you grow up with....where your hockey heros went before they hit the NHL. His family probably has some strong ties to Madison and the values of that community. I guess he has narrowed down his choices to Madison (UW), Ann Arbor (UofM), & the Gophers?

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
nomorekids said:
No, he's saying that the collegiate hockey in the US is better than the collegiate hockey in Canada, which it is, though I'd disagree with his word "notch" and suggest "several notches."

Ah, I misread his post, thank you. :D

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Really it depends on the player and their family.

I know, having spoken to an NHL player who took the collegiate route specifically about this, that everybody who makes this choice acknowledges the pros and cons of each.

Personally, I feel that top players are better suited to take the CHL route, and upper middle tier and lower calibre players are best served to go through the NCAA.

My reasoning is this: (and consider that everything is TYPICAL) Usually the CHL is a faster route to the NHL. For a more elite level player it may be beneficial to jump to the pro ranks faster, and there is less of a chance of them not "making it."

For middle road players who may take longer to develop, the NCAA is a good option. Plus, they are more likely to need another option to fall back on, and the NCAA provides this. Of course, the CHL does as well with its Educational Fund Program. But playing in the NCAA provides higher motivation for kids to pass (schools with GPA requirements, as low as they may be, are still passing grades), so it links your ability to play hockey with your school. CHL grads who don't make it may not be motivated to go to school after their hockey career ends.

Ultimately, there are great components to both sides.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
I think it would suck to have to get an education at the age of 40 or so. With the NCAA route you get university education while you play hockey and if he likes the degree he is getting he has the option to stay and finish his education.
While its not applicable in this case (because he'll be in Saginaw), if he were in an OHL city like London, Kitchener, Guelph, etc. he would be able to be a University student while playing in the O.

I know for a fact that there many players on the London Knights taking courses at Western or Fanshawe College while they play for the team.

But what we are arguing is trivial. People act like the CHL produces brainless neanderthals, while the NCAA produces classy intellectuals. But the fact is, if education is important to a player, then the CHL is as equally viable as the NCAA.

MacDaddy TLC*

eddiedaeagle20 said:
Wow, you guys make it sound like players in the CHL are morons. Just because you go to college on a scollarship doesn't make you smart, or educated. Brad Boyes won scholastic player of the year, and the OHL scoring tital, and took University courses. Both sides, NCAA, or Canadian junior are great ways to get into the NHL.
I wasn't referring to CHL players, but all NHL PA members in general.

college hockey

Jun 8, 2004
Maine
knowitall said:
Half of you people talk with out knowing the facts. If Kessel goes to NCAA, he will only go for one or two years. He will not exercise his option to keep his free ride of 4 years. Even if he goes that long, he wont go to school. Kariya, Heatley..if you knew the stories, they didnt even attend class, that was the reason why they went that route. They took skating and ping pong classes and thats when they attended. Everyone knows half (not all) the good players in the NCAA dont go to class or do their work anyways unless its a Canadian History class. Wake up and smell the roses, MOSES. I dont want to be rude, just deliver the facts. If Kessel went to the OHL, he would be playing a pro style, play with bigger, tougher players and against players who are also ready to make the jump to the NHL. Lafontaine, Roenick...they turned out fine!!
Why don't you get your facts straight and as far as knowing stories you don't. Kariya was a deans list student which is no surprise because both his parents are school teachers....were in his fathers case. All 3 Kariya brothers who played at Maine and his sister who played field hockey at Maine were honor students. The reason why Paul didn't stick around at Maine is because he wanted to play for Canada in the 94 Olympics and he was wasting his talent after the fact by staying at Maine for 4 years considering he was a 50 goal scorer in the NHL in what would have been his senior year at Maine. It's pretty apparent you have no friggen idea what you are talking about.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
NCAA Hockey Fan said:
Why don't you get your facts straight and as far as knowing stories you don't. Kariya was a deans list student which is no surprise because both his parents are school teachers....were in his fathers case. All 3 Kariya brothers who played at Maine and his sister who played field hockey at Maine were honor students. The reason why Paul didn't stick around at Maine is because he wanted to play for Canada in the 94 Olympics and he was wasting his talent after the fact by staying at Maine for 4 years considering he was a 50 goal scorer in the NHL in what would have been his senior year at Maine. It's pretty apparent you have no friggen idea what you are talking about.
And that is what I call a BURNNNNNNNNNNNNN :) Good work

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Douggy said:
While its not applicable in this case (because he'll be in Saginaw), if he were in an OHL city like London, Kitchener, Guelph, etc. he would be able to be a University student while playing in the O.

I know for a fact that there many players on the London Knights taking courses at Western or Fanshawe College while they play for the team.

But what we are arguing is trivial. People act like the CHL produces brainless neanderthals, while the NCAA produces classy intellectuals. But the fact is, if education is important to a player, then the CHL is as equally viable as the NCAA.
The same thing at Cape Breton University.....I don't call that an education though. Teachers don't give a damn what the students do, they pass them because of their name.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
There's also something to be said for the US college life as opposed to the almost pro-like pressure of being a top talent in the CHL. Kessel at a US college would be more able to lead a "normal" life than if he were in the CHL. I know that the idea that a kid might take a less pressure-packed route to the NHL might rub some people the wrong way but it's different strokes for different folks. USC's quarterback, who won the Heisman Trophy as top college football player, and led his team to the National Championship, and would have been the #1 pick in the NFL draft, elected to spend another year at college because he's having fun. Go figure.

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
He said top notch, not bottom notch. ;)
U R kidding right!!! I have buddies who have came back from the states on scholarships because the education was too easy..

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
knowitall said:
Half of you people talk with out knowing the facts. If Kessel goes to NCAA, he will only go for one or two years. He will not exercise his option to keep his free ride of 4 years. Even if he goes that long, he wont go to school. Kariya, Heatley..if you knew the stories, they didnt even attend class, that was the reason why they went that route. They took skating and ping pong classes and thats when they attended. Everyone knows half (not all) the good players in the NCAA dont go to class or do their work anyways unless its a Canadian History class. Wake up and smell the roses, MOSES. I dont want to be rude, just deliver the facts. If Kessel went to the OHL, he would be playing a pro style, play with bigger, tougher players and against players who are also ready to make the jump to the NHL. Lafontaine, Roenick...they turned out fine!!
exactly!!!! great post

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
This has to be one of the most idiotic threads created. The kid is less than two days away from deciding on which NCAA school he is going to attend and people are debating the moot point of which route he should go?

It doesn't matter what route you think, he has made his choice and thinks it is the best choice for his life. So why argue over it? :dunno:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
bonefizzle said:
U R kidding right!!! I have buddies who have came back from the states on scholarships because the education was too easy..

Judging by your sentence structure and brilliant grammar, I'd bet that you're lying. It's okay though, at least you gave us some hard evidence involving your imaginary buddies.

LOL LIKE OMG, CANADIAN SKOOLS SO ROXORZ MY BOXORZ!!!!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
PuckFan01 said:
This has to be one of the most idiotic threads created. The kid is less than two days away from deciding on which NCAA school he is going to attend and people are debating the moot point of which route he should go?

It doesn't matter what route you think, he has made his choice and thinks it is the best choice for his life. So why argue over it? :dunno:

Because this is a messageboard, and speculation is a form of discussion? It's what we do here.

We talk.

Calm down.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
knowitall said:
I dont understand some of these young boys today. First of all, there is no way on God's green earth that Kessel will play more than two years of college where ever he goes, so why is he going? And playing two is pushing it. He was one of the best players for team USA's World Junior Team, and regularly beats up on US college teams by himself for the under-18 team. If he goes to the OHL, (Saginaw has his rights) he would score 60 goals next year, get more accustomed to a pro style game (maybe even drop the mitts), play a 70-80 game schedule (playoffs) and mature more than he would playing one senseless year of college. Im sure Saginaw would even make trades to make sure they are a contender with Kessel in their lineup. I could see him going the college route if he was going to play 4 years, but playing 1-2 years and playing max 40 games is not the development the SO-CALLED american Crosby needs at his age. Whats up!!

The answer is simple. Have you ever been to Saginaw? Or seen them play? No saner person would want to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad