Kessel to OHL smarter route!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowitall

Apr 25, 2002
Northern Icon
Visit site
I dont understand some of these young boys today. First of all, there is no way on God's green earth that Kessel will play more than two years of college where ever he goes, so why is he going? And playing two is pushing it. He was one of the best players for team USA's World Junior Team, and regularly beats up on US college teams by himself for the under-18 team. If he goes to the OHL, (Saginaw has his rights) he would score 60 goals next year, get more accustomed to a pro style game (maybe even drop the mitts), play a 70-80 game schedule (playoffs) and mature more than he would playing one senseless year of college. Im sure Saginaw would even make trades to make sure they are a contender with Kessel in their lineup. I could see him going the college route if he was going to play 4 years, but playing 1-2 years and playing max 40 games is not the development the SO-CALLED american Crosby needs at his age. Whats up!!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The 40-45 game NCAA schedule allows for more physical development. He'd be playing more mature opponents, as well.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
knowitall said:
I dont understand some of these young boys today. First of all, there is no way on God's green earth that Kessel will play more than two years of college where ever he goes, so why is he going? And playing two is pushing it. He was one of the best players for team USA's World Junior Team, and regularly beats up on US college teams by himself for the under-18 team. If he goes to the OHL, (Saginaw has his rights) he would score 60 goals next year, get more accustomed to a pro style game (maybe even drop the mitts), play a 70-80 game schedule (playoffs) and mature more than he would playing one senseless year of college. Im sure Saginaw would even make trades to make sure they are a contender with Kessel in their lineup. I could see him going the college route if he was going to play 4 years, but playing 1-2 years and playing max 40 games is not the development the SO-CALLED american Crosby needs at his age. Whats up!!
Or he can go to NCAA and get a free top notch education.

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with NCAA. Development happens in both practices and games. If anything, the more balanced schedule will be good for him. Also, he will be playing against bigger, stronger players.

MacDaddy TLC*

NCAA is a better route for skill development. OHL and WHL is more pro style. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I like the NCAA route because there are already enough uneducated bozos in pro hockey.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Jason MacIsaac said:
Or he can go to NCAA and get a free top notch education.

The Problem is, he probably won't. As the thread starter suggested, he's likely to only play one or two years at college before turning pro. He could always go back after his playing days are over to resume his education, however.

I actually agree with the thread starter on this one. Kessel is one of the best prospects the US has produced in the last 5 years, perhaps the best (which is saying a lot).

It's not like it would weaken US hockey if he were to go the CHL route, because he'd still become a strong player and help US hockey.

I just think the CHL route would be a better one for him. He'd be at a more direct route to the NHL, thats really what it comes down to. Style of play, level of play are as always debatable when it comes to comparing NCAA with CHL. But the direct route to the NHL, definitely goes to the CHL.

I just think it would be a better situation for him personally, as he's a hell of a player who should be trying to get to the NHL as quickly as possible.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Brock said:
I just think the CHL route would be a better one for him. He'd be at a more direct route to the NHL, thats really what it comes down to. Style of play, level of play are as always debatable when it comes to comparing NCAA with CHL. But the direct route to the NHL, definitely goes to the CHL.

You're implying that because a player opts to go the NCAA route that he doesn't automatically get into the NHL right away? Gee, better tell that to guys like Dany Heatley, Paul Kariya, Tom Preissing and the many others who've made the jump successfully.

Why a player chooses to go either the NCAA or CHL is a personal choice. Neither you nor I nor anyone else here know what's best for Kessel, only he and his parents do. Regardless of where he or any other elite player ends up, he ends up there for the decision(s) made by him and his family. Period. If he chooses the NCAA over the CHL, so what? Get over it.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Brock said:
The Problem is, he probably won't. As the thread starter suggested, he's likely to only play one or two years at college before turning pro. He could always go back after his playing days are over to resume his education, however.

I actually agree with the thread starter on this one. Kessel is one of the best prospects the US has produced in the last 5 years, perhaps the best (which is saying a lot).

It's not like it would weaken US hockey if he were to go the CHL route, because he'd still become a strong player and help US hockey.

I just think it would be a better situation for him personally, as he's a hell of a player who should be trying to get to the NHL as quickly as possible.
He will have two years down on his belt, he will be playing vs more mature players, he will develop better in a system like Minnesota.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Douggy said:
Which he would get if he played in the CHL too...

For every year you play in the CHL, you get a free year at a Canadian University.
I think it would suck to have to get an education at the age of 40 or so. With the NCAA route you get university education while you play hockey and if he likes the degree he is getting he has the option to stay and finish his education.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Brock said:

And if he has a career ending injury in his first season out of high school? If your priorities are such, the NCAA is a much better option. Part of the reason Al Montoya stayed in Michigan was because if he signed, he would have to leave school (among other reasons). Not everyone's priority is to push push push the NHL goal and SCREW everything else.

Anthony*

Douggy said:
Which he would get if he played in the CHL too...

For every year you play in the CHL, you get a free year at a Canadian University.
:lol:

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
NCAA is a better route for skill development. OHL and WHL is more pro style. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I like the NCAA route because there are already enough uneducated bozos in pro hockey.

Wow, you guys make it sound like players in the CHL are morons. Just because you go to college on a scollarship doesn't make you smart, or educated. Brad Boyes won scholastic player of the year, and the OHL scoring tital, and took University courses. Both sides, NCAA, or Canadian junior are great ways to get into the NHL.

Roger's Pancreas*

I don't understand how Kessel could play in OHL, being that he's American and all. He'd be just another american player in the ohl and we can't have that now.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I think the place for him to play is in the NCAA because he's american and the CHL wants to limit the number of american players in it's leagues.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Habsfan 32 said:
I think the place for him to play is in the NCAA because he's american and the CHL wants to limit the number of american players in it's leagues.

no..not the CHL.

A choice few people at Hockey Canada. The American players are GOOD for the CHL as a whole, and the league realizes it.

knowitall

Apr 25, 2002
Northern Icon
Visit site
Half of you people talk with out knowing the facts. If Kessel goes to NCAA, he will only go for one or two years. He will not exercise his option to keep his free ride of 4 years. Even if he goes that long, he wont go to school. Kariya, Heatley..if you knew the stories, they didnt even attend class, that was the reason why they went that route. They took skating and ping pong classes and thats when they attended. Everyone knows half (not all) the good players in the NCAA dont go to class or do their work anyways unless its a Canadian History class. Wake up and smell the roses, MOSES. I dont want to be rude, just deliver the facts. If Kessel went to the OHL, he would be playing a pro style, play with bigger, tougher players and against players who are also ready to make the jump to the NHL. Lafontaine, Roenick...they turned out fine!!

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Panasonic Youth said:
I don't understand how Kessel could play in OHL, being that he's American and all. He'd be just another american player in the ohl and we can't have that now.
Funny!

But........ he'd be playing in Saginaw, so he'd still be on American soil!

The one advantage that I can see to him playing in the OHL is that he'll start with top line ice time and he will be Saginaw's go-to guy right off the bat. Depending on the school he's looking at, that may not be the case. Ultimately, neither route is going to hurt his chances to reach the NHL.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
knowitall said:
Half of you people talk with out knowing the facts. If Kessel goes to NCAA, he will only go for one or two years. He will not exercise his option to keep his free ride of 4 years. Even if he goes that long, he wont go to school. Kariya, Heatley..if you knew the stories, they didnt even attend class, that was the reason why they went that route. They took skating and ping pong classes and thats when they attended. Everyone knows half (not all) the good players in the NCAA dont go to class or do their work anyways unless its a Canadian History class. Wake up and smell the roses, MOSES. I dont want to be rude, just deliver the facts. If Kessel went to the OHL, he would be playing a pro style, play with bigger, tougher players and against players who are also ready to make the jump to the NHL. Lafontaine, Roenick...they turned out fine!!

And so did Doug Weight, Bill Guerin, Mike York...

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
knowitall said:

Where's your proof that they didn't attend class? Were you in some of Heatley's classes at Wisconsin or Kariya's classes at Maine?

FYI, the NCAA sets academic standards that must be adhered to, otherwise schools will loose their ability to award scholarships (or lose an x number of scholarships to be made available). Furthermore, most, if not all hockey coaches in the NCAA have team rules where if you're not going to class, you don't play. Period. The Ivies have far more stringent academic standards that go beyond what the NCAA sets.

But of course, you already knew that right?

My point is, Kessel will do well wherever he goes. If he goes to the NCAA, he'll become a better player just like he would if he went the CHL route. It doesn't matter. What matters is he and his family alone make the choice and have the reason(s) behind their decisions. Whether you and I agree with his decision or not, has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on his personal decision. As many have pointed out here, he'll be just fine if he does go the NCAA route (which in all likelihood he will). If he stays all four years, great. If he doesn't, that's ok too. The fact is, he's going where HE feels he will be happiest. Why is that so hard to understand or accept?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Oilers Chick said:
You're implying that because a player opts to go the NCAA route that he doesn't automatically get into the NHL right away? Gee, better tell that to guys like Dany Heatley, Paul Kariya, Tom Preissing and the many others who've made the jump successfully.

Why a player chooses to go either the NCAA or CHL is a personal choice. Neither you nor I nor anyone else here know what's best for Kessel, only he and his parents do. Regardless of where he or any other elite player ends up, he ends up there for the decision(s) made by him and his family. Period. If he chooses the NCAA over the CHL, so what? Get over it.

I'm implying right away, as in directly after his draft season. Very few NCAA players make the jump to professional hockey after their freshman seasons.

Kessel could play one year of OHL hockey, be the go to guy on his team, and make the jump to the NHL the next year, because to me he seems like a player who can do that.

You don't have to be so defensive on the subject. I dont have a beef with the NCAA, over the CHL. If you knew my posts, I usually support the NCAA. You definitely made it seem like I'm crying because Kessell is choosing the NCAA over the CHL and I'm bitter. Furthest from the case.

I was just stating my opinion and I stick by it.

Roger's Pancreas*

Charlie_Girl49 said:
Funny!

But........ he'd be playing in Saginaw, so he'd still be on American soil!

The one advantage that I can see to him playing in the OHL is that he'll start with top line ice time and he will be Saginaw's go-to guy right off the bat. Depending on the school he's looking at, that may not be the case. Ultimately, neither route is going to hurt his chances to reach the NHL.
In the ncaa he would probably start on the second or third line. His play would bump him up to the first in no time at all though. He's talented enough to make the most of any chance like you said though. I just hope he comes to the ncaa where I can get a chance to see him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->