Kessel skating and speed?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Now, from what I heard Kessel biggest asset is his skating and speed. But how fast is he? any comparable NHLer? Is he as fast as Ovechkin?

The scouting reports all said "skates like LaFontaine, shoots like Hull."

I watched the 06 WJC thanks to Center Ice, and boy it was pretty damn true. They forgot to mention that his passing is EXCELLENT as well. This guy is going to be a top points producer one day.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Now, from what I heard Kessel biggest asset is his skating and speed. But how fast is he? any comparable NHLer? Is he as fast as Ovechkin?

Read the reports from the Boston Globe from Rookie Camp. Many of the rookies and guys like Boyes, Bergeron and Stuart say this kid has amazing/blinding speed, can pass and pot nice goals.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002

He is as explosive as Ovechkin, but he doesn't have the power to drive past people like Ovechkin does.

If he is in a race for the puck, he'll win it - but if he's going one on one with you he won't beat you with it like Ovechkin can.

Marc008

Sep 10, 2006
Ontario
bruinsfans.freeforums.org
Well from all I have read about Kessel on the internet is that he has great speed and he has a extra gear that can confuse alot of players and if guys like Bergeron and Boyes say this guy is fast then it means hes realyl quick beacasue they both can fly.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
Well from all I have read about Kessel on the internet is that he has great speed and he has a extra gear that can confuse alot of players and if guys like Bergeron and Boyes say this guy is fast then it means hes realyl quick beacasue they both can fly.

No doubt they know what they are talking about, but Boyes is now a fast player?:dunno:

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
I see him 1 or two time and he haven't St-Louis , Kariya speed . I know he's fast , but he will not be one of the best in the league .

remind me not to hire you as a scout. I'm sure if he was a montreal prospect he'd be the fasted player in the world today.

Geogaddi

Book Hockey
Nov 2, 2005
Dallas
man...i cant wait to see what this kid can do in the NHL. I cant forget him and Chris Bourque setting up some nice tic-tac-toe plays in the WJC last year. Will be very exciting to see him play with the likes of Bergerons, Savards, Sturms and so on. Good luck to ya guys.

Oh and yes...he will be one of the best in the league.;)

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
He has the speed, but his problem last year was he thought that's all he needed. He'll have to learn he can't just skate around everyone.

leafaholix*

He's on par with Ovechkin with his speed and shot, except he's not as strong. He can't outmuscle anyone like Ovechkin or Kovalchuk can.

But his skating is as good as anyone in the NHL, and his shot is just as good.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Kessel is lightning fast. I remember that one video that I think I saw on the USAHockey site where he went coast to coast with the puck and absolutely just FLEW by everyone on the ice. It was amazing.

AgentNaslund*

watched the world Juniors in Vancouver, I thought Kessel is one of the best fowards in the tournament. Hes an awesome player. i compare him to Pavel bure. smaller player, that can fly. a player that can do stuff at top speed, and shoot real welll too.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
watched the world Juniors in Vancouver, I thought Kessel is one of the best fowards in the tournament. Hes an awesome player. i compare him to Pavel bure. smaller player, that can fly. a player that can do stuff at top speed, and shoot real welll too.

Pre-Suter Paul Kariya ;)

espo*

He's a great skater,world class,acceleration is out of this world.But as a few posters have said above,he does'nt have the power to drive past guys yet.Dandy velocity on his shot too though i'd hesitate to say he's in Hully's class with it as from what i've seen of him he does'nt seem to have consistent pin-point accuracy with it like guys such as Hull.He does know how to find the open spots to shoot it though.

Passing? have'nt been overly impressed with that part of his game from what i've seen but guys here who watch him reguarly say it's a good part of his game so i'll wait and see. He seems good when the lanes are wide,not so great when the lanes are tight and he has to be creative and precise in the offensive zone.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
He's a great skater,world class,acceleration is out of this world.But as a few posters have said above,he does'nt have the power to drive past guys yet.Dandy velocity on his shot too though i'd hesitate to say he's in Hully's class with it as from what i've seen of him he does'nt seem to have consistent pin-point accuracy with it like guys such as Hull.He does know how to find the open spots to shoot it though.

Passing? have'nt been overly impressed with that part of his game from what i've seen but guys here who watch him reguarly say it's a good part of his game so i'll wait and see. He seems good when the lanes are wide,not so great when the lanes are tight and he has to be creative and precise in the offensive zone.

I'd disagree. His passing was one of the things that impressed me most. I see his weakness as what's been stated here already...He can get bumped off the puck pretty easily. He needs to spend time in the weight room and learn how to fight off d-men that are all over him in corners.

espo*

I'd disagree. His passing was one of the things that impressed me most. I see his weakness as what's been stated here already...He can get bumped off the puck pretty easily. He needs to spend time in the weight room and learn how to fight off d-men that are all over him in corners.

You're definately right about the strength thing,it stands out when you watch him play.

The passing? from your user-name i'll assume you watch him reguarly in the ncaa as a gopher fan and thus you get to see what he really can do in this area on a regular basis. So your judgement is probably more to be relied on here then mine.

I can only go on what i've seen of him from about 10 games or so. It's not like i thought he was useless in this area,I just did'nt think his passing skills were real crafty or his greatest gift.

He'll get to prove me wrong starting very soon. His days of playing NCAA are over,he's with the big boys now.

I think he'll be a real good player,might take some time but his skills should translate well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad