Confirmed with Link: Kessel signs Contract Extension. (8x8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I sincerely hope this doesn't diminish Kessels already weak compete level. C'mon Phil let's see you repay the team for having this kind of faith in you. No lollygagging!!!

The guy could already pull a Demi Moore in Indecent Proposal with the $$ he's raked in, he's been paid $5.4M for the last several years.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
"things aren't working out here ya know"
"I don't want to talk about contracts during the season"
1297465839117_ORIGINAL.jpg

"suckers"

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
OK Kessel, now that you have a mega-deal, no more 10 game scoring droughts!

And, no more reckless stick swinging!

Also, you'll need to back check even harder now.

Oh, and please tell your best bud Bozak to shoot sometimes instead of always trying to force a pass to you.

Thanks Phil, welcome aboard for the next 8 years!

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
"things aren't working out here ya know"
"I don't want to talk about contracts during the season"
1297465839117_ORIGINAL.jpg

"suckers"

Phil with the masterful troll job.

I couldn't be happier, all the guys that needed to be inked are inked. Love it. Let the games begin.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don't even get the compete level arguments. You think if Kessel wanted to slack off and make millions he would have re-signed here? He could have taken the year, signed nothing and gotten 8.5+ to sign somewhere in the States where he would be invisible and rich.

He wants to win and he's only getting better!

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I sincerely hope this doesn't diminish Kessels already weak compete level. C'mon Phil let's see you repay the team for having this kind of faith in you. No lollygagging!!!

wow...that didn't take long. I think Kessel showed his compete level quite nicely last year, especially in the playoffs vs. Boston.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't even get the compete level arguments. You think if Kessel wanted to slack off and make millions he would have re-signed here? He could have taken the year, signed nothing and gotten 8.5+ to sign somewhere in the States where he would be invisible and rich.

He wants to win and he's only getting better!

Exactly. If Kessel wanted he could have gone to Tampa...saves him MILLIONS in taxes, no pressure, make more money.

The fact that he signed in Toronto despite all the crap that these journalists and fans come up with tells me that Kessel doesn't give two ***** about who is saying what about him...he just goes out there and produces.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Leafs didn't want to start negotiations for real with Kessel until they heard from the player that he wanted to stay in Toronto long term.

Leafs GM Dave Nonis met with Kessel last week and the winger told him he wanted to commit long term. Once he said that, Nonis got to work

beautiful.

Top Caphits 14-15

1. Ovechkin 9.6
2. Malkin 9.5
3. Crosby 8.7
4. Perry 8.6
5. Giroux 8.3
6. Getzlaf 8.3
7. Staal 8.3
8. Kessel 8.0
9. Weber 7.9* (10.4 AAV for first 10yrs of contract)
10. Nash 7.8
11. Suter 7.5* (9.4 AAV for first 10yrs of contract)
12. Parise 7.5* (9.4 AAV for first 10yrs of contract)

Kessel just squeaks into the top-10 next year as of right now, and only because of the cheater contracts to weber, suter, and parise.

Key UFA this offseason that will sign before Kessel's extension kicks in include:

Lundqvist
Gaborik
Thornton
Vanek
Sedin
Sedin
Phaneuf

and key UFA after next season include:

Toews
Kane
Spezza

So kessel won't even be top-10 for long.

He'll be way down the list by the end of his deal, when he's at the ripe old age of 34.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
woo. awesome news. terrific deal. we have him locked up during his prime years which is awesome.

good job nonis. now get phaneuf done. 49M/7years and i'll be happy.

BayStreetBullies*

woo. awesome news. terrific deal. we have him locked up during his prime years which is awesome.

good job nonis. now get phaneuf done. 49M/7years and i'll be happy.

His cap hit right now is 6.5 m. No way he only goes up by 500k. 7.5 m/year, and that's a conservative estimate. No one else on the Leafs blueline does what he can every game.

Now that's a crazy deal.

Max I'd offer is 5/32.5

No wonder Sundin didn't retire in Toronto. :facepalm:

Jackothy

Jun 10, 2009
Leafs didn't want to start negotiations for real with Kessel until they heard from the player that he wanted to stay in Toronto long term.

Leafs GM Dave Nonis met with Kessel last week and the winger told him he wanted to commit long term. Once he said that, Nonis got to work

I wonder if fight night in Buffalo had anything to do with him choosing to stay. Can't help but think it was a serious team building moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad