Kessel on left wing? Just an idea.....

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
His defensive play, while not selke calibre, has improved considerably. Hes made some pretty nice plays this season, including one last night which may have prevented a goal.

I can't disagree he's not as useless as he was and he has made some strides defefensively which is encouraging. On another note I think I saw more passion from Kessel last night then in the rest of his TML career combined.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I've often wondered why they don't do it against Boston. Worse case scenario they shift Chara but then you've potentially weakened Chara.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I started this thread about two months ago.

Kessel would have his back turned while clearing the puck on The wins. Same reason lupul couldn't see rosehill coming.

You're a wise man, didn't see the other thread though I'm sure the elementary schoolers were out for that one too. Not sure what you mean "The Wins" unless you're saying the wings as in the defensive boards and while that is true I don't know that it would matter all that much.

I don't think he should be officially put on the left side, but I feel it wouldn't hurt him to try entering the offensive zone from the left side when he's skating up the middle in the neutral zone. Switch things up instead of doing his typical down-the-right-wing-and-shoot move that gets deflected into the netting 90% of the time. If he cuts into the middle he'll be on his forehand.

Should be noted that about half of his goals have come from the left side this year.

Yes, good points and astute observation. I don't know whether or not it would work but I would like to see them try it, even if just in practices to see how he adjusts. Maybe they have already?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last 2yrs PPG, all players with 1.00+ppg:

1. S.Crosby: 58gms, 1.60
2. E.Malkin: 102gms, 1.34
3. S.Stamkos: 121gms, 1.21
4. C.Giroux: 116gms, 1.12
5. J.Lupul: 76gms, 1.07
6. M.St.Louis: 116gms, 1.06
7. N.Backstrom: 82gms, 1.05
8. J.Spezza: 85gms, 1.05
9. I.Kovalchuk: 109gms, 1.01
10. J.Tavares: 122gms, 1.01
11. P.Kessel: 122gms, 1.00

I think he's doing ok on the right side.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Last 2yrs PPG, all players with 1.00+ppg:

1. S.Crosby: 58gms, 1.60
2. E.Malkin: 102gms, 1.34
3. S.Stamkos: 121gms, 1.21
4. C.Giroux: 116gms, 1.12
5. J.Lupul: 76gms, 1.07
6. M.St.Louis: 116gms, 1.06
7. N.Backstrom: 82gms, 1.05
8. J.Spezza: 85gms, 1.05
9. I.Kovalchuk: 109gms, 1.01
10. J.Tavares: 122gms, 1.01
11. P.Kessel: 122gms, 1.00

I think he's doing ok on the right side.

Who said he's not doing ok on the right side? [other than his obvious deficiencies which would be the same no matter where he played] It's sad that some ppull can't
even try to think outside the box, even if just for the sake of discussion. I get that some ppull are going to get defensive no matter what is said and it's really to bad.

He does what he does but I've been watching and playing hockey for decades and I think he would do fine on the left, MAYBE even better, of course this is apparantly to radical for some posters to even think about cuz it necessitates leaving the comfort zone of their brain and actually thinking. :shakehead

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010
The coaching staff have a few set plays they run with Kessel on the LW and he's primarily plays the left wall on the PP.

Ruski

Apr 7, 2009
Toronto

you can't look at his PPG stats and then point at people who say trade kessel. Deciding to trade a player has more to do with the return and the cost of keeping him than anything else.

No one is untouchable at the right price...Crosby, Malking, Gretz, etc.

Now in the cap world you have to manage a team and if Kessel demands $9mil+/year, its almost criminal to resign him. He is good but not THAT good. Obviously you don't give him away but there are many considerations here. Nonis will make that decision by the draft and if there is no contract to be signed with kessel then he will look to maximize his return.

Hopefully Kessel has grown up a bit since his Boston days and is willing to take ~$7-7.5 which i think is what we can afford. Time will tell...

FLASH905

May 9, 2011
It will be way harder for him in the d-zone on his backhand. Which is not exactly his strong suit as is.

Exactly what I was gonna say. I prefer my off wing offensively, but tougher to clear/trap pucks in d zone

nazembiggs*

We're stacked on lw as it is no point in switching kessel there too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->