Kessel on left wing? Just an idea.....

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I've been paying a lot of attention to this recently. I think Kessel should be shifted to left wing. When he comes down the right side he is 100% predictable. He tries to go wide and shoots wide of the net. I really think that with him being on the left side it would help him be more creative with the puck.

He could cut to the middle and create some room.

If he does just end up shooting at least his stick will be in the middlish area of the ice and not off to the side. He might actually hit the net.

He basically parks himself on the left wing faceoff circle during PPs anyway.

I've noticed he's ended up on the left side a couple times in the past few games and the way he reacted gave me confidence it would work for him. When I mentioned it to my neighbour as we're watching games he thinks I may be on to something.

What are your thoughts?

Leafs For Life*

Or we could keep him right wing scoring 2 in his last 2. Wait.. That's not good enough.

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
It will be way harder for him in the d-zone on his backhand. Which is not exactly his strong suit as is.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
Playing your strong side makes clearing the puck at your own line a lot easier as your stick is against the boards. Kessel already struggles with that as is, moving him to the left and making it even harder for him would just result in even more defensive zone time for that line.

Also, when the opportunity presents, Kessel and JVR like crossing in the neutral zone to allow them to come in on their off-wings. Of course, when it's just one of them rushing up the ice this doesn't happen.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
We should take him off of the first line and pair him with Ryan O'Byrne. Thoughts?

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
He's a ppg for two seasons in a row. My god.

He could have had even more if he was on the left side.

Playing your strong side makes clearing the puck at your own line a lot easier as your stick is against the boards. Kessel already struggles with that as is, moving him to the left and making it even harder for him would just result in even more defensive zone time for that line.

Also, when the opportunity presents, Kessel and JVR like crossing in the neutral zone to allow them to come in on their off-wings. Of course, when it's just one of them rushing up the ice this doesn't happen.

Yea but he already has zero defensive prescence.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Kessel, while not terrible with his backhand, is not able to use it as a strength. He wouldnt be as effective with his playmaking having to give and recieve all his passes on the back hand, and wouldnt have the ability to snap one one net as quickly while driving the net (ala calgary goal last season)

thats my 2 cents

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
At least you guys aren't short-sighted. If I started this thread 3 games ago would it have been a good idea then? :shakehead

He could have had even more if he was on the left side.

Hes been PPG for the past season and a half.

Yea but he already has zero defensive prescence.

His defensive play, while not selke calibre, has improved considerably. Hes made some pretty nice plays this season, including one last night which may have prevented a goal.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I started this thread about two months ago.

Kessel would have his back turned while clearing the puck on The wins. Same reason lupul couldn't see rosehill coming.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I don't think he should be officially put on the left side, but I feel it wouldn't hurt him to try entering the offensive zone from the left side when he's skating up the middle in the neutral zone. Switch things up instead of doing his typical down-the-right-wing-and-shoot move that gets deflected into the netting 90% of the time. If he cuts into the middle he'll be on his forehand.

Should be noted that about half of his goals have come from the left side this year.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I don't think he should be officially put on the left side, but I feel it wouldn't hurt him to try entering the offensive zone from the left side when he's skating up the middle in the neutral zone. Switch things up instead of doing his typical down-the-right-wing-and-shoot move that gets deflected into the netting 90% of the time. If he cuts into the middle he'll be on his forehand.

Should be noted that about half of his goals have come from the left side this year.

That maybe so but that's what a good goal scorer does, he finds different ways to get the goals. He's not ready to use his body strongly to be on the left, and it's better for him to be on the right IMO.

He's still evolving his game, and he should do it on the right side. If Julien wasn't adamant on using him on the wing, I think he would have been a good center for us but that boat has passed. Reason I am saying this is because he was naturally a center before he joined the big leagues.

Also anyone have that goal of kessel scoring in the PPG, afterwards dion and Kessel goes wild. Probably my favourite kessel goal :laugh:

contour

Mar 31, 2011
I believe Kessel is best played on defence, paired with Phaneuf.

Also, his production is not high enough at a ppg. Pairing him with Phaneuf will only make Kessel more of a Norris candidate than he already is.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
That maybe so but that's what a good goal scorer does, he finds different ways to get the goals. He's not ready to use his body strongly to be on the left, and it's better for him to be on the right IMO.

He's still evolving his game, and he should do it on the right side. If Julien wasn't adamant on using him on the wing, I think he would have been a good center for us but that boat has passed. Reason I am saying this is because he was naturally a center before he joined the big leagues.

Also anyone have that goal of kessel scoring in the PPG, afterwards dion and Kessel goes wild. Probably my favourite kessel goal :laugh:

Like I said, not a positional change but a slight style modification. Would like to see Phil become more unpredictable, that's all.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Kessel in net. /thread

Kidding, LW isn't a bad idea, just no reason to mess with his position right now.

And right now we got Lupul/JvR/MacA on LW too many LW's Kessel/Kulemin/Komarov/Frattin on RW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad