Kessel -- NHL ETA: 2009?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
From THN's "Future Watch" issue (p. 56):

"I've always looked at it like it's going to be a four-year thing for me ... I've always planned on going to college, getting out and getting a job. You never know what can happen in life. I've never planned on going a year to college and going somewhere else." (Phil Kessel)

Rev up the speculators, and have at it ... but to the untrained ear, it almost sounds like he might major in something besides "hockey" ... Then again, maybe this is just him stroking a particular PR pony ... Thoughts one way or the other?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't know about 2009, but he definately looks like he could use ATLEAST another year of college. I hope whoever drafts him also realizes this.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Bad for the team that drafts him too. UFA is 27 now, even lower by 2009, right? He will jump into the league and he would go almost from a rookie three year cap to UFA.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Smart move. Good to see a kid with all kinds of talent that wants to finish up school.

You never know what can happen, and it's good to have a legit backup in a college degree.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Jaded-Fan said:
Bad for the team that drafts him too. UFA is 27 now, even lower by 2009, right? He will jump into the league and he would go almost from a rookie three year cap to UFA.

UFA is 29, 27 if you put in 8 years of service (ie. starting rookie year after draft)

meaning, if he ends college at 21, he'll be with whatever team till he's 29 (8 years)

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
I saw him on a local sports tv show last night...

He and Ryan Potoulny *flyers prospect*

Phil is an incredibly shy person, he didn't want to talk about himself at all, and every question about him he turned into something about the team...seems very embarassed to talk about himself.

One of the most uncomfortable/shy kids I've seen ...I guess thats understandable he's still young, I just figured he woulda been exposed to more tv interviews and would have more media saavy, but these kids are very young.

I'm a huge gophers fan, I hope he stays here for even 2 years would be awesome.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Metallian said:
UFA is 29, 27 if you put in 8 years of service (ie. starting rookie year after draft)

meaning, if he ends college at 21, he'll be with whatever team till he's 29 (8 years)
No, the UFA lowers to 27 soon for everybody.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
gonzopher said:
From THN's "Future Watch" issue (p. 56):

"I've always looked at it like it's going to be a four-year thing for me ... I've always planned on going to college, getting out and getting a job. You never know what can happen in life. I've never planned on going a year to college and going somewhere else." (Phil Kessel)

Rev up the speculators, and have at it ... but to the untrained ear, it almost sounds like he might major in something besides "hockey" ... Then again, maybe this is just him stroking a particular PR pony ... Thoughts one way or the other?

Virtually every kid that goes the NCAA route says this.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Metallian said:
what are you talking about??
I'm talking about the UFA age lowering soon.

From the CBA FAQ at NHL.com:

Unrestricted Free Agency - For the 2005-06 season, a player age 31 with four accrued seasons will be an unrestricted free agent; in 2006-07, a player age 29 with four accrued seasons or with eight accrued seasons; in 2007-08, a player age 28 with four accrued seasons or with seven accrued seasons; beginning in 2008-09 and for the duration of the agreement, a player age 27 with four accrued seasons or with seven accrued seasons will be an unrestricted free agent. For purposes of qualifying for unrestricted free agency, the 2004-05 cancelled season will be counted as a year of accrued service.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
the part i dont understand is "with four accrued seasons or with seven accrued seasons will be an unrestricted free agent"

what difference does it make? 4 or 7? what if they have 5?

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
Metallian said:
the part i dont understand is "with four accrued seasons or with seven accrued seasons will be an unrestricted free agent"

what difference does it make? 4 or 7? what if they have 5?

It's a player 27 years old with four seasons

OR

any player with seven seasons...meaning if you start when you're 18, you're a UFA at 25.

My understand at least; i was confused at first too.

c_robio19

Feb 3, 2006
That's correct meaning Crosby,Ovechkin,Phaneuf etc... will be UFA at 25. Pretty crazy, guess we won't see many surprising project picks in the draft anyore. I'd be looking for players as close to NHL ready as possible.

I guess Ovechkin and Phaneuf will ake it to 27 though but interesting nonetheless

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I would not be in the slightest surprised if Kessel spent a few years in college. He is very clearly not ready for the big show right now and is going to need to either get stronger or develop his skills further so his lack of strength is not an issue. He definitely appears to, at this early juncture, have a little bit of growing to do before he's ready for NHL success.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Matt MacInnis said:
I would not be in the slightest surprised if Kessel spent a few years in college. He is very clearly not ready for the big show right now and is going to need to either get stronger or develop his skills further so his lack of strength is not an issue. He definitely appears to, at this early juncture, have a little bit of growing to do before he's ready for NHL success.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.......

DreamCatcher*

They all say that until a fat contract with bonuses are brought towards them.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
I see kessel going to 2 years of college....much like vanek and parise.

He needs 1 more year seasoning.

He's not yet on the level of Vanek ..when he left the U of MN...

Then again Vanek was a god here, most clutch player i've seen roll through here... :yo:

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
c_robio19 said:
That's correct meaning Crosby,Ovechkin,Phaneuf etc... will be UFA at 25. Pretty crazy, guess we won't see many surprising project picks in the draft anyore. I'd be looking for players as close to NHL ready as possible.

I guess Ovechkin and Phaneuf will ake it to 27 though but interesting nonetheless
Ovechkin's rookie year was at age 20, thus he reaches UFA status at age 27, not 25. He was not a rookie at age 18.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Matt MacInnis said:
I didn't say that there was, there definitely isn't anything wrong with that.

I wasn't directing that at you. As a matter-of-fact, I can't think of too many high profile draft prospects in this year's class that will be ready right away.

primetime

Dec 2, 2005
Albany
Almost every college sports player says they plan on committing to a full 4 year regimen. Hockey, basketball, football... of course, when money talks, money talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->