Kessel ill-suited as Leafs’ frontman ... Leaf must keep 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
just curious but what would Toronto want to sign Kessel too? what amount I mean.

He's a sniper through and through so the only reason I can think of getting rid of him is if he's not worth his weight so where does he price himself too high?

Personally I beleive him getting 6.5 is no problem, he'll garner that easily. I beleive a team like Pittsburgh will fork out 7/annually and Kessel could sign at the thought of the damage he could do on that team.

I would say if you can sign him to anything under 7 you do for a long term deal and hope to strike gold with a 1C through the draft.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
He seems to be a guy who will give the Leafs a home stay discount.

But what would be the number? Thats whats curious to me. Is he the kind of guy you would give 7-7.5 too and not break a sweat or is he a guy you would not pay more than a certain amount.

He's gonna get big money in UFA but that doesnt necessarily mean he's worth the big coin.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
But what would be the number? Thats whats curious to me. Is he the kind of guy you would give 7-7.5 too and not break a sweat or is he a guy you would not pay more than a certain amount.

He's gonna get big money in UFA but that doesnt necessarily mean he's worth the big coin.

Kessel will ask for the moon out of Toronto because he knows he has us by the balls.

Other teams would probably give him less but that will be worth it to Kessel because he gets to hand pick a team to play on and all the factors involved in that.

Last time he held his team hostage (Boston), he only had two choices. This time, he will have many more.

I personally wouldn't give him a touch over $6.5

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

I don't think that matters too much. We don't have much committed past this year and have some wiggle room. We got only 40 Mil or so committed for next year and Komisarek expires same time. If he stays, he will get a big haircut.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Kessel will ask for the moon out of Toronto because he knows he has us by the balls.

Other teams would probably give him less but that will be worth it to Kessel because he gets to hand pick a team to play on and all the factors involved in that.

Last time he held his team hostage (Boston), he only had two choices. This time, he will have many more.

I personally wouldn't give him a touch over $6.5

Yeah. If he was a RFA coming off a 40 goal season then it would be a different story and 6-6.5 would prob get it done. With him going into UFA and with Toronto not having another "face of the franchise" type player other than him I think he's gonna get a little more.

I think he's worth it and I'd definitely sign him as you need snipers just as much as you need other areas of a team. His play so far may be a good sign for you guys and perhaps signing him right now would make him sign for a smaller amount.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yeah. If he was a RFA coming off a 40 goal season then it would be a different story and 6-6.5 would prob get it done. With him going into UFA and with Toronto not having another "face of the franchise" type player other than him I think he's gonna get a little more.

I think he's worth it and I'd definitely sign him as you need snipers just as much as you need other areas of a team. His play so far may be a good sign for you guys and perhaps signing him right now would make him sign for a smaller amount.

We can not sign him until after the season.......and god help us if he is the face of the franchise.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
We don't know how much they were offering. Maybe they were lowballing him.

We gave him what he wanted......we overpaid him....over the term of his contract.

He is an American and by all accounts loved Boston......he was not interested in any discount or any offer other then what we paid him from Boston.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
We can not sign him until after the season.......and god help us if he is the face of the franchise.

The latter part of your post is funny. What I'm trying to say is if he is looking for a 5 year 7 million dollar deal I give it to him and dont even think about it.

The guy is a top 15 sniper in the league, his shot is definitely top 5. He only lacks a little intensity but that can be taught. Say what you will about Hamilton and Seguin, they both may turn out to be excellent players but on a 1 for 1 trade for either (Seguin for Kessel OR Hamilton for Kessel) you keep Kessel. Thats saying something; and 7 mill is not a bad price to pay.

DaveT83*

No amount of paycut will make Phil Kessel the individual - worth more to this organization than he would garner via trade.

1G
PWF

Are infinitely more valuable moving forward than Phils 30 goals for 90 goals against. Nonis and company shouldn't even bother tendering an offer to retain him. Its debateable if he'll ever even score 30 again in Toronto - I'd put my money on him not duplicating the previous success seen under Wilson.

The rebuilding around Phil Kessel experiment must come to an end if this team is to ever make progress in the only stat column that counts - The Win/Loss Column.

Last edited by a moderator:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The latter part of your post is funny. What I'm trying to say is if he is looking for a 5 year 7 million dollar deal I give it to him and dont even think about it.

The guy is a top 15 sniper in the league, his shot is definitely top 5. He only lacks a little intensity but that can be taught. Say what you will about Hamilton and Seguin, they both may turn out to be excellent players but on a 1 for 1 trade for either (Seguin for Kessel OR Hamilton for Kessel) you keep Kessel. Thats saying something; and 7 mill is not a bad price to pay.

The trade was as one sided as you can get.....and it was not a one for for deal. It was a one for 3. Also you can not teach a player to be brave.

He will in my opinion ask and want an 8 year deal.....and I believe it will be a minimum of 8 per. That is too rich for me. I would be interested at 6 million, 5 years max.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

What? Seigun is already better then Kessel and what Hamilton have shown he will soon be to.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
What? Seigun is already better then Kessel and what Hamilton have shown he will soon be to.

In what planet is Seguin at this stage of his career better than a 4 time 30 plus goal scorer at 25 years of age? He sure is carrying the Bruins at the moment. :sarcasm:

You know, David Legwand was also drafted 2nd overall.

The hate is unbelievable.

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto
In what planet is Seguin at this stage of his career better than a 4 time 30 plus goal scorer at 25 years of age? He sure is carrying the Bruins at the moment. :sarcasm:

You know, David Legwand was also drafted 2nd overall.

The hate is unbelievable.

Do you watch Seguin every game? If you did, you'd know that he's not just a goal scorer. If he's not scoring, he's not completely useless.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Do you watch Seguin every game? If you did, you'd know that he's not just a goal scorer. If he's not scoring, he's not completely useless.

Do you watch any of the Leafs' games? Because it doesn't matter how hard Kessel tries or improves on the defensive end, the haters keep hating.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Do you watch any of the Leafs' games? Because it doesn't matter how hard Kessel tries or improves on the defensive end, the haters keep hating.

He has improved a bit. He is making contact (body+stick) more often.

Players stats sometimes dip when a new coach gives them a new task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->