Proposal: Kessel for defensive help (Carolina)

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Justin Faulk and Jake Bean for Phil Kessel

Pitt could probably add a small sweetener but I think the value is close. Carolina took huge strides this year, so in this trade they get a 31 year old ppg winger with 3 years left at 6.8 million to bolster their playoff run next season. The biggest thing here is that they add offensive prowess without really subtracting much from their current D roster, as they still ice Slavin/Hamilton Pecce/CDH and Fleury/TVR with Fox still in the system. Faulk is basically redundant on their roster right now anyways.

For Pittsburgh, this is obviously contingent upon JR trading Maatta and Gudbranson as we couldn’t afford to have Faulk without trading some D out first (But I think this is probably a safe assumption given their play and the playoff outcome).

Aside from Sid not scoring, our biggest problem was our D not being fast enough and not moving the puck fast enough. Bean has progressed really well in the AHL and could definitely slot into our top 4 next year, and he is both young and cheap. We could ice Dumo/Letang Bean/Faulk Johnson/Schultz. I feel this largely solves our defensive woes from this playoffs.

Thoughts? Who says no?

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Kessel doesn't hold that much value. He had a pretty great year. But Bean is a great young prospect and Faulk is a solid dman in his own right

Kessel is over 30 and has seen his best years.

I wouldn't do it.

What do you think he is worth alone?
Feel he's still worth a fair bit.
Philly never misses a game and continues to be a PPG player. 3 years left from his 32nd to 35th birthday, if I was CAR, I'd do it.

Reactions: NHL WAR

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
JR said he thought this defense was the best defense the Penguins have had with him as the GM, so I think it's pretty clear that the Penguins won't be trading Kessel for defensemen.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
JR said he thought this defense was the best defense the Penguins have had with him as the GM, so I think it's pretty clear that the Penguins won't be trading Kessel for defensemen.
That’s very obviously a bad idea though. I think JR was just publicly trying to defend his moves of bringing in Johnson and Gud. This defense is not the best we’ve had and it definitely needs to be improved

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
What do you think he is worth alone?
Feel he's still worth a fair bit.
Philly never misses a game and continues to be a PPG player. 3 years left from his 32nd to 35th birthday, if I was CAR, I'd do it.

You could maybe pull Bean and a 2nd, if Carolina felt like it'd make them more competitive. Maybe Faulk and a 1st, if it was more appealing for a rebuilding Pens club.

Overall, I just think Bean is too valuable to the future of the Canes. He's going to be a very good player, and cost controlled, which would be very hard to give up for a player like Kessel, even given him scoring near PPG. How long will he keep that up?

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You could maybe pull Bean and a 2nd, if Carolina felt like it'd make them more competitive. Maybe Faulk and a 1st, if it was more appealing for a rebuilding Pens club.

Overall, I just think Bean is too valuable to the future of the Canes. He's going to be a very good player, and cost controlled, which would be very hard to give up for a player like Kessel, even given him scoring near PPG. How long will he keep that up?

CAR had a 19th ranked PP this year and one of the best defensive teams in the league. Would think Faulk isnt a stud defensively compared to Slavin or Pesce.

Bean better a #2/3 D in the making for me to turn away a guy like Kessel who hasnt missed a game in a decade and was top 5 in PP points and top 10 in PP goals this year.

3 years isnt a huge commitment and his caphit is sub $7million. He makes your top 6 and PP even better for the next 3 years. How can you say he will decline when some of the better point producers in the league are in their mid 30s?

EDIT- 3 years of Kessel isnt a huge amount of term in trading Bean who did have a great AHL year. Tough call for sure but Kessel probably helps their PP alot like how Hoffman helped us in FLA.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Pens have plans on moving Letang or Schultz, I'd be down for something around Phil for Faulk.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
If Pens have plans on moving Letang or Schultz, I'd be down for something around Phil for Faulk.
We don’t even need to move them. We just need to move Gud and Maatta. Having Letang-Schultz-Faulk down the right side would give us a great puck mover on each line. And Bean is going to be a great top 4 D.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Kessel doesn't hold that much value. He had a pretty great year. But Bean is a great young prospect and Faulk is a solid dman in his own right

Kessel is over 30 and has seen his best years.

I wouldn't do it.

The last two seasons have literally been the best two he's ever had.. what?

I have no issues with you saying no. But your reasoning doesn't make much sense to me. He's producing better than ever.

Reactions: Trade

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
there's enough organizational depth in Raleigh and Charlotte that a deal could be formulated. I don't think Bean would be a part of it, though, just because I think he's ticketed for a full time role next season, and has developed well in his first pro season.

as for Kessel, he's a fantastic player with a track record of success in an area that the Canes should be very interested in bolstering (PP). but seeing as how their success this season came as a result of a conscious shift in playing philosophy, and some bold roster moves to support that, I don't know that he's the fit they're looking for, as talented as he is.

perhaps closer to July 1, the roster calculus might be different. and if so, I can see Carolina being willing to meet a steep price without caring about making a big intradivision trade. but either way, I don't expect Bean to be part of it.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->