KESSEL:Fact or Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisent

Nov 15, 2003
Mannheim
Visit site
snafu said:
What are you talking about? I don't write the laws of the jungle, nor do I get to edit "the Code"...

And what joke are you talking about? People were talking about the WJC's and that certain players enjoyed taunting the opposition. Is that representative of sportsmanship in your book?
It was not against you, just against the consequences you talked about. Ad I understand perfectly what "taunting" is, I just said that people can interpret his behaviour as taunting or as a joke. I think it's the latter.

espo*

rt said:
I would not call Phil Kessel pretty. Unless, of course, ''pretty'' was immediately followed by ''damned'' and ''ugly''.
lol.i suppose.........you know what i mean though.Kind of a generic term for fancy goal scorer types where i come from.

espo*

MN_Gopher said:
I love it when a scorer play chippy, Really stirs the pot and seems to get the team going. In Mn he can do all he wants. He will have Chucko and Harrington out there to run a guy if the cheap shot him.
As far as weaknesses go he is sometimes takes a play off. Yeah i know no big deal right, everyone does it. But when a team realizes they have a 50/50 shot of being scored on vs. scoring a goal they may go for it. He could have that i am better than u all and when i have to i can get a chance for my team attitude. This is based on seeing him in one game against the gophers. He had 2g and 2a but on one play if he moved his feet a bit more our player would not have wrapped around the puck and on the rebound we score. He may do that in other games, he could have been late in his shift, but he seems to pretty well rounded.
I think an attitude of "i'm an ass-kicker" is highly advatageous for players of his ilk....i would'nt want him to lose that if he played on my team.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
snafu said:
Actually I agree with you that Malkin and Ovechkin have the potential to become top players in the NHL. Personally, I am looking forward to seeing them here- if only the NHL could get its act together. I'm a Red Wings fan, so you should believe me when I say I have appreciated the European talent we have been lucky enough to have here. Datsyuk and Fedorov are two of my personal favorites.

Now, a "taunt" means to start something (not respond to the actions of others). It is meant to incite (or instigate) in an insulting, mocking or contemptuous fashion.

I asked in an earlier reply if Malkin had done something because I did not see Malkin doing this, but I did remember one occasion against the US when Ovechkin "seemed" to be taunting the US team. I do not know if he started this...or if he was responding to something that had happened to him earlier.

I would never say that this only seen from one group of players or from a particular country. Case in point, Sean Avery was with the Wings and I couldn't stand the guy because it seemed all he did was taunt and instigate.

As for the original point of this post, Kessel is a great prospect. I've seen him here in Michigan when he was with the US NTDP U-18. I don't really think of him as a particularly dirty player, but he is a kid. All these guys are...as they develop, they will learn to control the emotion and their skills will take them to the top echelons of the league. None of these guys we have discussed here will need to rely on taunts or dirty play to achieve their potential.

Agreed for the most part. In all the years i've played sports, the only time players started to taunt, or yell at the other bench, or get into bench clearing brawls is when a player on the other team does something. IMO, Ovechkin or Malkin probably pissed off the team, and something was said after whistle. I imagine that they were saying something like "bring it on" or something stupid.

Most players dont taunt unless givin a reason. It gives to much incentive to the other team to head-hunt them, or play better.

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
I was listening to Pierre Mcguire (many people don't like him, but ....). He was saying tha kessel is a PAT LAFONTAINE type of player.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Vlad The Impaler said:
I don't know if it is fact or fiction, but I can tell you the super-hyped guys almost always end up on the microscope. And when there's nothing to cry about, people make up attitude problems.

I'm not saying this is what happened here as I don't know Kessel enough. But I can tell you that kind of stuff is a classic that happens all the time.

There was a time when Spezza was a young phenom. But then people started to say he was too lazy and Kovalchuk was much better. But then Kovalchuk was classless and people started talking about the 16/17 years old Ovech-phenomin. That guy was the real deal, everything like Kovalchuk except he had a much better attitude and could pass because everyone knows Ilya can't pass. But then Ovechkin started to get old, so people said he had an even worse attitude. And then his shoulder was destroyed by a giga-talented team and the less mentally gifted said he quit. But no worries because we had a new phenom in Crosby. This time the guy was the real deal. Except he plays in the Q, and the Q sucks. Oh, and Crosby took a rest and didn't go to prospect skill game, so he was a yellowish quitter and had the worse attitude of all. Beware because Kessel is coming and he will be the real deal.

Except he won't be because in the next few months, people are going to cry about him and a new real deal will emerge. His name doesn't matter, nobody gives a **** because a few months later, he too will be put down until some guy in 2007 or 2008 emerge and so on.

I couldn't tie up how Ruutu went from the next Forsberg to a hold out crybaby, Rick Nash gets people really worried because he apparently can't pass, just like Kovalchuk. It's also freaky that he has a bad +/- and hooked some referee. Definitly an attitude problem there. Lehtonen was really good. But then M-A Fleury beat him in a WJC game and suddenly Lehtonen wasn't good and Fleury was better in pressure situation. So now Fleury was top of the crop except a year later, he and Coburn got majorly ****ed up and now Lehtonen was much better in pressure situation.

They're always idealized when they are a little farther away but once they are exposed for all eyes, it seems they all look bad one way or another.

You can bet your ass that if Malkin is going to continue rise on the charts he too, sooner or later, will have some kind of issues related with his attitude once he isn't all shiny and new.

Excellent post!

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
waseem said:
I was listening to Pierre Mcguire (many people don't like him, but ....). He was saying tha kessel is a PAT LAFONTAINE type of player.

Kessel I think will be bigger (in size) and stronger than Lafontaine. In Kessel, I think, the states have finally got that superstar that will light a fire under the American fans. I saw him at the under 18 and at the under 20. Right now, I'd say he's in the same league as Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin weee at the same age. If he continues to progress, he'll be something else. I would ignore that BS comment in the write up. This kid has leadership written all over him.

stocktrader

onice said:
Kessel I think will be bigger (in size) and stronger than Lafontaine. In Kessel, I think, the states have finally got that superstar that will light a fire under the American fans. I saw him at the under 18 and at the under 20. Right now, I'd say he's in the same league as Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin weee at the same age. If he continues to progress, he'll be something else. I would ignore that BS comment in the write up. This kid has leadership written all over him.
You mean he is on the same level as Ovechkin, and Malkin.
Kessel himself has said that Crosby is better.

espo*

stocktrader said:
You mean he is on the same level as Ovechkin, and Malkin.
Kessel himself has said that Crosby is better.
He might just be being humble.

stocktrader

cyclops said:
He might just be being humble.
I guess.
Crosby is about as humble of athlete as you can find and I can't imagine him saying Kessel is better than him.

espo*

stocktrader said:
I guess.
Crosby is about as humble of athlete as you can find and I can't imagine him saying Kessel is better than him.
maybe,but Kessel may really think there isn't much of a gap between them if any and does'nt want to come off saying."i'm better then Crosby" For sure,it would make him look awfully cocky to say the least.Crosby would'nt likely say Kessel is better but he also would'nt likely say he is better then Kessel either.My guess is he'd praise Kessel's talents and skirt around the question.

stocktrader

cyclops said:
maybe,but Kessel may really think there isn't much of a gap between them if any and does'nt want to come off saying."i'm better then Crosby" For sure,it would make him look awfully cocky to say the least.Crosby would'nt likely say Kessel is better but he also would'nt likely say he is better then Kessel either.My guess is he'd praise Kessel's talents and skirt around the question.
Crosby wouldn't come out and say he is better than anybody.

You are right in some aspect, but if Kessel really believes in his own ability he shouldn't come out and say that.

IMO Crosby's game will translate much better to the NHL and I think there is little denying this.

espo*

stocktrader said:
Crosby wouldn't come out and say he is better than anybody.

You are right in some aspect, but if Kessel really believes in his own ability he shouldn't come out and say that.

IMO Crosby's game will translate much better to the NHL and I think there is little denying this.
I agree with you if the game stays the way it currently is,but will it? Maybe they can't turn the clock back to mid 1980's but i'm confident things can get done that could make 130 point scorers possible(at least one or two in any given year) If they can open the game up the Kessel kids style of play just may be the one more effective to dominate..............i think it's possible.I think i'm in the minority in my belief here but........................i think it could happen.If the game can tilt toward more open ice just so much then.......................he has the wheels and hands to do major damage.If not,yeah.........................Crosby's all around hockey sense,vision and ability to cycle would appear to be the more intimidating nhl package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->