Kessel and the shootout?

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Why? I simply don't get why he continues to be placed in the shootout. He has 1 goal in his last 13 by my count. Yet year after year, coach after coach, he continues to be in the shootout. I love Kessel, and if the shootout is one area of his game that he simply can't perform, I don't really care. It's just a gimmick anyway. However, the coaches seriously need to stop putting him as one of the shooters and costing the team points. This is pathetic.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He does the same thing every time. Stick handle back hand forehand for 5 seconds and then shoot glove side, or some times 5 hole. He honestly has no dekes.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
as does Kadri.

i would start putting, Lupul... JVR.... mystery player LOL

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
He does the same thing every time. Stick handle back hand forehand for 5 seconds and then shoot glove side, or some times 5 hole. He honestly has no dekes.

It's not the end of the world. There are lots of high calibre offensive players that for whatever reason struggle to score in the shootout (Stamkos for example). However, the fact that the coaches keep putting him out there game after game as one of the shooters is just wrong. Best player on the team or not, he is not getting results. It's honestly not surprising that we struggle in the shootout when we only get to take 2 shots while the other team takes 3.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The only player that shoot consistently be in the shootout is Bozak. Other then that it should be whatever players look good that night, even if it's Colton Orr

McGuiresMonsters

Oct 31, 2011
Toronto
It's probably in his head. There are a lot of 'snipers' in the league who have have been bad in shootout's and then overcome their deficiency's (Ovi and Kovy come to mind).

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario
It's probably in his head. There are a lot of 'snipers' in the league who have have been bad in shootout's and then overcome their deficiency's (Ovi and Kovy come to mind).

Stamkos too, to a degree.

Honesty, he's our best player. Shootout is meant for guys that can score goals and have good hands. Kessel is our best goal scorer, which is why he keeps getting chances. Should he? Thats another story.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
He needs to deke, he's an underrated deaker. That goal vs Tampa Bay in OT on the pass from Bozak, anyone remember that? Might have been 09-10. That showed off his amazing hands on the deke.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He needs to deke, he's an underrated deaker. That goal vs Tampa Bay in OT on the pass from Bozak, anyone remember that? Might have been 09-10. That showed off his amazing hands on the deke.
Honestly a player of his skill he doesn't have that great of hands. He can do simple inside outside dekes but thats it. You dont see him putting the puck in between his to try to get around someone. He uses his speed instead. Lupul and Kadri have way better hands/dekes than Kessel.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Honestly a player of his skill he doesn't have that great of hands. He can do simple inside outside dekes but thats it. You dont see him putting the puck in between his to try to get around someone. He uses his speed instead. Lupul and Kadri have way better hands/dekes than Kessel.
Amen.

mt99808

Oct 21, 2010
Kessel is money on in game breakaways which makes this even stranger.

Not really ... Goalies have more time to think and go over player trends in their head in a shoot out so they come right out on him. In game situations breakaways happen so fast the goalie probably isn't thinking as clearly.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
If EVER I was thinking a player was purposely throwing a game it would have been Kessel last night. He was THAT bad.
Completely invisible ALL night.
Brutal late give-away when the top Minny line is on late in the game.
And a shoot-out shot basically that hit the corner of the rink.

Also backing Nonis and showing how great league stats are Kessel was credited with ZERO turn-overs last night.....really!

Single handedly lost the team the game.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Why? I simply don't get why he continues to be placed in the shootout. He has 1 goal in his last 13 by my count. Yet year after year, coach after coach, he continues to be in the shootout. I love Kessel, and if the shootout is one area of his game that he simply can't perform, I don't really care. It's just a gimmick anyway. However, the coaches seriously need to stop putting him as one of the shooters and costing the team points. This is pathetic.

If it is just a gimmick, as you say, why are you so worked up about it?

Strategy

Sep 8, 2013
Stamkos too, to a degree.

Honesty, he's our best player. Shootout is meant for guys that can score goals and have good hands. Kessel is our best goal scorer, which is why he keeps getting chances. Should he? Thats another story.

No it's not, that's the topic of this thread lol

wulfio*

Kessel is money on in game breakaways which makes this even stranger.

not at all. scoring on a breakaway within the flow of the game is a lot easier than a shootout. Breakaways are purely instinct, in a shootout you think too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad