Kessel and Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
I was browsing a few team forums today (not on HF) and came across a post about Kessel. The author suggested about 1/2 of the GMs would have chosen Kessel over Sidney if given the chance at this years draft and that a recent poll actually proved this claim. I was wondering if everyone was in the same position what they would have done. I've only seen Kessel once and he looked very slick and impressive, on the other hand I've only seen a few highlight videos on Crosby.

So does anyone think Kessel has more potential or is Crosby really a step ahead of him. If you were Craig Patrick and they both came out, would Kessel have made you think twice? Just curious, I honestly haven't seen them play enough to make a judgement (I suppose I could based on hype but I'd rather not). If this has been done already Ill delete it.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
I would be floored if that quote was true. If it was, the Crosby-like Kessel hype should be starting in the hockey media any day now.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
KeepitinPitt said:
I was browsing a few team forums today (not on HF) and came across a post about Kessel. The author suggested about 1/2 of the GMs would have chosen Kessel over Sidney if given the chance at this years draft and that a recent poll actually proved this claim. I was wondering if everyone was in the same position what they would have done. I've only seen Kessel once and he looked very slick and impressive, on the other hand I've only seen a few highlight videos on Crosby.

So does anyone think Kessel has more potential or is Crosby really a step ahead of him. If you were Craig Patrick and they both came out, would Kessel have made you think twice? Just curious, I honestly haven't seen them play enough to make a judgement (I suppose I could based on hype but I'd rather not). If this has been done already Ill delete it.

here is what I have seen on this......like you I have not seen enough of either

'If both were eligible this season, McGuire said the split would probably be "17 general managers who favored Crosby and 13 who favored Kessel." '

The link was a yahoo news link that no longer works....im sure there is other sources out there....but its a legit quote for sure

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
ryz said:
I would be floored if that quote was true. If it was, the Crosby-like Kessel hype should be starting in the hockey media any day now.

well....Pierre McGuire definitely said it.....whether he made it up I dont know....it is indeed a bold statement.....like him or not he is a legit hockey guy

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
KeepitinPitt said:

Like others in this thread have mentioned, Pierre McGuire was the one who suggested 13 out of 30 NHL G.M's would choose Kessel over Crosby if they were in the same draft year. Personally, I think Crosby is the better overall player, and always will be. He'll be a guy that can do it all in the offensive zone and be competant enough defensively to not be a liability. He's also a better playmaker. However, Kessel is faster, has a better shot, and is more of a natural goalscorer, so it's concievable in the right situation he could end up more prolific in that regard at the NHL level. Who do you like more, Peter Forsberg or Pavel Bure?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
They have two different ultimate max potentials IMO.

Kessel could lead the league in scoring easily and be very flashy, draw fans and look great.

Crosby is the prototype team guy. Just does everything related to the game of hockey and goes it very well.

So do you want the scoring champ or the MVP?

espo*

MN_Gopher said:
They have two different ultimate max potentials IMO.

Kessel could lead the league in scoring easily and be very flashy, draw fans and look great.

Crosby is the prototype team guy. Just does everything related to the game of hockey and goes it very well.

So do you want the scoring champ or the MVP?
I think both could potentially win both.They still count assists so Crosby may always be a better point producer then Kessel.But Kessel may be such a good goal scorer and dangerous that he might win m.v.p some years eventhough he might not win the scoring title.I have a feeling Kessel will always score more goals but may not win any scoring titles but if he did win the scoring title he'd likely be the best player of the season too and win the hart.

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
I have seen a lot of Crosby and only a little of Kessel in the World Jrs and the U18's. So I can't really make a decision on this either. What I have seen from Kessel is a very good offensive player but I haven't seen much on the defensive side. Not saying that he isn't good defensively, he has just not stood out to me. On the other hand everyone knows that Crosby can be as exciting as anyone in the offensive role, but from watching a bunch of Rimouski games for the last two years Sid is also great defensively. He skates harder on the back check then he does on the forecheck and I have seen him block more shots than I can count. I don't agree with one of the posters (don't remember who) who said that Kessel is a better natural goal scorer than Crosby. When you put up the points like Crosby has it is kind of hard to compare someone to him who hasn't competed at the same level as him. Finally I also think that if Kessel was as good or better than Crosby we all would have heard about him before last years World Jrs. Crosby has been known for quite a few years now, not just when he entered Major Junior hockey and Kessel's name has jus started to pop up now so I think that Crosby has a bit of a jump on him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
sidney crosbys goal scoring ability is becoming a bit underrated here. Remember he scored 66 g in 62 games last season. Sure he is the better playmaker of the two, but to say that kessel will easily score more goals is kinda off. Sure Crosby is a great passer, but the thing that allows for this is his ability to score.

He can beat you in so many ways. He is one of the best one on one players ive ever seen. You can score 120 goals in 121 games in major junior without knowing how to find the net. Kessel is a great player and i see him as a kovalchuk type talent, but is definitely take a player like forsberg who can pass than kovalchuk, who does pass but not as well as foppa.

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
Well, both have a enormus potential but the hype around Crosby is so big that GM wouldn't have only take the on-ice impact of the player and this is where Crosby would have easily win. But i still think that Crosby is still a step or two ahead of Kessel and as a GM i would've go with Crosby. But chosing N°2 (supposing that Kessel would have be eligible this year) , i'd have chosen Kessel instead of Ryan or Pouliot....

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Mothra said:
well....Pierre McGuire definitely said it.....whether he made it up I dont know....it is indeed a bold statement.....like him or not he is a legit hockey guy

Let's just say his credibility just took another hit. As good as Kessel is it is not even close. Kessel is dominating in his draft class as one of the oldest players in that class. Sid, as one of the youngest in his, was dominating his own by a much bigger margin, and with few exceptions dominating against both the next two older draft classes including possibly the strongest ever in the 03's.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Let's just say his credibility just took another hit. As good as Kessel is it is not even close. Kessel is dominating in his draft class as one of the oldest players in that class. Sid, as one of the youngest in his, was dominating his own by a much bigger margin, and with few exceptions dominating against both the next two older draft classes including possibly the strongest ever in the 03's.

Im willing to bet that he, being a former NHL coach, is a little more dialed into what GM's are saying than you or I

I dont think who dominates their draft class is the end all be all in terms of how good an NHL player they will be 5 years down the road

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Crosbyfan said:

Says the guy named Crosbyfan.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Every time McGuire talks he reminds me of a wrestler trying to cut a promo. Whether it was truth or McGuire's version of the truth, he did a good job hyping TSN's 2006 draft show.

Both Crosby and Kessel are excellent talents. I am confident that if all things were equal (meaning no American kid marketting gimmicks) any hockey person would take the upside, safety and completness of Crosby's game ahead of Kessel - but it wouldn't be an easy decision and might make for some sleepless nights.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Crosby anyday of the year.

Kessel is an awesome hockey but the hipes surrounding him because of the less than 18 years old tournament still present. Jeff Carter is having the same hipes around after his performance at the world juniror championship.

Crosby way better than Kessel way better than Carter even though these three players are unbelievable.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
Crosby, OMG, by far Crosby.

Kessel is a amazing talent. But Crosby is the guy you want on youre team. People can say they would rather have kessel all they want. But when it comes down to it. Taking Kessel over Crosby is pure insanity. But both would by far go 1 and 2 if they were in the same draft.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
Everytime I here Kessels name I think of Legwand. To me Crosby and Kessel in the same class would be similar to when Legwand and Lecavalier went at the top. But by a larger margin.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
I cant believe that someone didnt throw out this thread long ago....is this a serious question...is there someone out there who even thinks there is a chance that every single GM would not have taken Crosby first?

Pierre McGuire i actually had thought wasnt too bad.....until now....if he actually said or thought that any GM would take kessel above crosby he was either extremely drunk....or plain dumb :sarcasm:

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Crosbyfan said:
Say's the guy who can't think of a real argument.

Its enough of an argument. A guy calling himself Crosbyfan saying its not even close. What a shocker. Meanwhile, 13 out of 30 NHL GM's(you know, guys who actually know something other than media hype) say otherwise. I think I'll take the opinion of NHL GM's over some kid on the internet who bases his opinion on hype(and perhaps nationality)

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I've seen Kessel live and Crosby on video. I'd take Crosby by a good margin. If Kessel puts up 70 or 80 points as a freshman in the NCAA then it becomes closer. From what I saw of Kessel early last year I don't think he is capable of dominating division 1 hockey by the margin that Crosby dominated the QMJHL. However, I've been wrong before and it would sure be nice to have an american Crosby. Would bring the Canadian - USA hockey rivalry to another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->