The Kent Johnson thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Dumb question, but does anyone know WHY he was made a center coming into U of M? If he came in having historically played center, why wouldn't a coach put him at that position?
He's a freshman still learning the system, playing wing means less responsibility and allows him to focus on the smaller aspects of his game, lower in the lineup. Once he's proven that he can do all the small things they asked of him then they'll start giving him more responsibility, moving him up the lineup.

Reactions: LoneFunyan

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
He was a center in the BCHL. That's several tiers lower than Big Ten in the NCAA. It can take players an adjustment period to make that jump. Dylan Holloway struggled in his first year at Wisconsin after making the jump from the AJHL (same tier as BCHL), and then took off in year two at Wisconsin. Ceulemans will have to make that same jump next year when he goes to Wisconsin.

Michigan actually did put KJ at center when Beniers was injured for several games, and the reviews were negative. I didn't see those games but they said he had trouble matching up physically in his own zone. That's unsurprising, Kent needs time to get stronger to be able to play center at that level.
In addition to that, after seeing his BCHL stats and highlights I'm impressed he managed to make the jump to college and play coherent and effective hockey. I do hope Michigan has him center his own line next season because if he makes a similar leap he will definitely be ready for that responsibility.

Reactions: majormajor

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I'm wondering if some of us have forgotten what "blue chip prospect" means. It is supposed to imply a guarantee of safety, zero bust risk in other words. Johnson doesn't offer that. Elite potential, but there's risk there.

Edit: "Blue chip prospect" does not just mean really good prospect. The name comes from blue chip stocks. A blue chip company wouldn't necessarily have the best stock growth but it would always perform reliably and give good returns.

I don’t need a lesson on what blue chip prospect is from you any more than I need a lesson on what a first line center is.

I know very well what both are but seriously question if you do.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I can't remember which video I was watching, but someone here had posted it and it was Tambellini (I think it was) saying how his edge work and skating was elite if not already at an NHL level. However, having the strength and balance to utilize that in the NHL is an entirely different equation.

Reactions: Monk

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Are you sure? Because we can’t get this through to one of my kids.

:joker:

It certainly took me a while.

Are you telling them or training them? It should be integrated into the drills - for example take five steps look around, take five steps look around, etc..

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It certainly took me a while.

Are you telling them or training them? It should be integrated into the drills - for example take five steps look around, take five steps look around, etc..

I tell; others train. You think getting hit hard enough times would make him look around more. He does have decent awareness for his own teammates and pass pretty well. It is his awareness of the other team we worry about.

Reactions: majormajor

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I'm wondering if some of us have forgotten what "blue chip prospect" means. It is supposed to imply a guarantee of safety, zero bust risk in other words. Johnson doesn't offer that. Elite potential, but there's risk there.

Edit: "Blue chip prospect" does not just mean really good prospect. The name comes from blue chip stocks. A blue chip company wouldn't necessarily have the best stock growth but it would always perform reliably and give good returns.
Johnson is a blue chipper.

Blue chip stocks can still have risk, ask the Lehman Bros. Blue chip players are those who have proven themselves to be among the best at their positions in their respective sports and are more sought after and wanted than other players. They are typically perceived as "can't miss" prospects who are desired by most organizations.

Over PPG top 30 NCAA scoring freshman count as that.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I know past performance doesn't always dictate future results and we're talking about different players at different times, but if I remember correctly Johansen, PLD and Werenski all were perceived as SLIGHT overreaches relative to other players available. From a pure on-ice perspective, those guys all turned out to be good picks. (Yes, I know there are other issues with some of these dudes).

I feel oddly confident about the CBJ's ability to evaluate in the top 10 in the last decade or so ... it's picks after that that have been questionable.

That obviously reflects the nature of the draft itself but we've seen this "was this pick a reach?" discussion before and I FEEL like CBJ have fared well. Someone feel free to correct me.

Reactions: Viqsi

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Johnson is a blue chipper.

Blue chip stocks can still have risk, ask the Lehman Bros. Blue chip players are those who have proven themselves to be among the best at their positions in their respective sports and are more sought after and wanted than other players. They are typically perceived as "can't miss" prospects who are desired by most organizations.

Over PPG top 30 NCAA scoring freshman count as that.

Let's just say it won't be quite as earth-shaking if Johnson fails to make it. The failure of Lehman was the biggest story in the world when it happened. This is a semantic discussion so who gives a crap, but you yourself mentioned "can't miss" as a pre-requisite and that doesn't apply to boom-bust Johnson.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Let's just say it won't be quite as earth-shaking if Johnson fails to make it. The failure of Lehman was the biggest story in the world when it happened. This is a semantic discussion so who gives a crap, but you yourself mentioned "can't miss" as a pre-requisite and that doesn't apply to boom-bust Johnson.
Yeah , I don’t think Johnson is remotely a boom- bust player . He’s a very good player right now , that could end up the best player in the draft . In a covid year , with a player that has grown like a weed in the past 18 months , he has jaw dropping talent , can beat you a multitude of ways , but he needs to simplify his game a bit , which will come with experience . We’ve since learned he’s a rink rat , and has a desire to be great . It’s all a crapshoot , as players can get injured , have mental issues , etc , but if Ville is saying he has talent that brings you out of your seat, things that can’t be just taught , I think chances are we just landed a special player

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I’m going to have to agree with MM that Johnson isn’t a blue chip player. However, I don’t think Sillinger is as well. Just because a player is likely to be an NHLer doesn’t make them blue chippers in my mind. You have to be a can’t miss special player.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I’ll never call a player bustproof but Johnson has the traits that tend to insulate players from abject failure. The vision, the ability to slow the game down and anticipate, the puck skills.

Who tends to bust? Physical marvels in need of major skill overhauls, guys who dominate younger competition, lazy players.

Johnson is far from that.

Reactions: Xoggz22

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah , I don’t think Johnson is remotely a boom- bust player . He’s a very good player right now , that could end up the best player in the draft . In a covid year , with a player that has grown like a weed in the past 18 months , he has jaw dropping talent , can beat you a multitude of ways , but he needs to simplify his game a bit , which will come with experience . We’ve since learned he’s a rink rat , and has a desire to be great . It’s all a crapshoot , as players can get injured , have mental issues , etc , but if Ville is saying he has talent that brings you out of your seat, things that can’t be just taught , I think chances are we just landed a special player

I agree he might become the best player in the draft.

It's funny. People have been saying that about him all year, including many of the scouting services that have ranked him 9th. Why do you think he was most often ranked 9th then? You can figure it out.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m going to have to agree with MM that Johnson isn’t a blue chip player. However, I don’t think Sillinger is as well. Just because a player is likely to be an NHLer doesn’t make them blue chippers in my mind. You have to be a can’t miss special player.

Yeah I think we agree on the definition. That's just my evaluation of Sillinger. I think he is a can't miss special player.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Who tends to bust? Physical marvels in need of major skill overhauls, guys who dominate younger competition, lazy players.
Players who can ride their skill until they get to the pros also fit into this category.

For Johnson not to bust he has to mature his game. He might do that, but he also might not. In which case his skill alone won't be enough.

Rooting for him no matter what.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Players who can ride their skill until they get to the pros also fit into this category.

For Johnson not to bust he has to mature his game. He might do that, but he also might not. In which case his skill alone won't be enough.

Rooting for him no matter what.
meaning players who ride their skill and wilt against the NHL's increased speed and physicality?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

By these definitions of "blue chip" there aren't a ton of drafts with blue chip prospects in them. No blue chippers in this most recent draft for instance.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
By these definitions of "blue chip" there aren't a ton of drafts with blue chip prospects in them. No blue chippers in this most recent draft for instance.

It's semantic but I'd have Power, Beniers, Eklund, and Sillinger all as at least borderline blue chippers. I'd bet heavy on all of them playing high up in the lineup.

I might be a bit biased with Sillinger, but I just watched him in this 5 game set and he is very impressive. Very well rounded and supreme skill. I can see why he was ranked 5th in the blackbook.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
It's semantic but I'd have Power, Beniers, Eklund, and Sillinger all as at least borderline blue chippers. I'd bet heavy on all of them playing high up in the lineup.

I might be a bit biased with Sillinger, but I just watched him in this 5 game set and he is very impressive. Very well rounded and supreme skill. I can see why he was ranked 5th in the blackbook.

OK but then you can see how other posters get angsty when you definitively say Johnson isn't a blue chip prospect. In your opinion (which folks here obviously value), based on your definition of blue chip (which some folks disagree with), you're 100% correct because you can't be wrong.

The problem is it's all semantics and opinion when we're talking about prospects, so it's off-putting when opinions aren't shared with that context, even though it may well be implied. That's why you're getting these somewhat heated reactions IMO :)

Reactions: Ippenator

ThisIsMyAlibi

Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
I guess I see blue chip prospects as those who project as average top line/top pairing players in their 50% projection.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I think it does. Jarmo seems to also, or else he would have taken Sillinger there no?

Reactions: thebus88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->