Celebrity Death: Kenny Shields STREETHEART aged 69 on july 22nd

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/kenny-shields-streetheart-rip/

Did not realize he had died while I was on Vacation.

when the cancon rules came into force Streetheart was one of many bands that almost over night went from being a no name bar band to staple on Canadian radio. streetheart. trooper, chiillwack.april wine and others.

Shields was a guy who could be his own worst enemy. I worked for Periscope Productions in the early 90's and dealt with Shields a few times. He was billed as the Canadian Rod stewart for awhile and like Stewart, Shields did things his own way and often hurt his own cause when he would not play nicely with the other children in the sand box. But some loved that about him.

there are still a staple of classic radio in Canada--the band is not too well known outside of Canada

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
growing up, i used to hear Streetheart played a lot on the radio ...always liked their hits. sad to see this news. RIP.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Saw them a few times and they always put on a great show. Nothing like partying to some early '80s CanCon on a hot summer night.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Huh. I always thought Tin Soldier was a Styx song.

RIP.

Tin Soldier was actually a Small Faces song. Kenny was a big fan. One of their final shows was at Canad Inns Nashvilles, about a month before Kenny took ill. It had come up in conversation with a few other musicians about his love for Faces/Small Faces, so right before the band took the stage I played "Itchycoo Park." After the show Kenny approached the sound booth and applauded the selection saying it put him in a great mood to perform that night.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad