Recalled/Assigned: Kenny Agostino, ermergency basis.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
So we are hoping that he shows something in the NHL that he hasn't in the AHL or NCAA? It is clear what he is and isn't very good at all.

If we need a guy that we want to see what we have in him why not Shore? He has shown good FO ability, a good ability to play a role at the NHL and AHL level. Why not see if he can be the 4th line center?

He has played very well in the AHL this season. Shore might have been a good recall as well, but Agostino has been the better player and earned the call up I think.

I also feel like they already know what they have in Shore.

moon*

By being on the right side of 25 and only 2 years of pro hockey I meant he's "young" and there's room to grow.

By 23 most guys are having their best seasons at the NHL level. So the fact that he a. wasn't good enough to make the AHL prior to finishing 4 years of college and b. now is putting very mediocre numbers at the AHL level at 23 doesn't bode well for the future.

The list of forwards who start developing at 23 is very, very small.

I'm not going to bother arguing the negative aspect of this when our leading NHL scorer will also be 23 before his 3rd pro season.

Being the leading scorer for a bad AHL team doesn't mean much. Somebody has to be the leading scorer on the team.

The guy projects at best to be Lee Stempniak and while it's not an ideal top 6 type of player if he can continue to grow he'd be a cheap 3rd line LW so there's value in seeing him play.

Turning into Lee Stempniak would be a huge jump for him.

Because neither of those players have earned it, when you say Kenny has mediocre numbers how can you justify bringing up much more 1 dimensional offensive players with much worse numbers, just because they were picked higher? We traded perhaps our best player ever for Kenny.

Not sure how Shinkaruk hasn't earned it other than not being with the Flames for long enough. His numbers are good and his talent is undeniable. He wouldn't be recalled because he was drafted higher he would be recalled because he is a better player with much better talent. And also is a guy that fits a role we need top 6 winger much better.

Shore already had a poor showing for us at the NHL level, Hamilton is smaller, less offensive, less effective at moving the puck up ice.

When did Shore have a poor showing at the NHL level? He was fine when up with the Flames.

Hamilton has marginally less offensive numbers this year, much better offensive numbers historically, is marginally smaller but much more gritty and physical and better defensively.

Why call our prospects garbage when you have no idea who they even are or how they play? You seem to have stat watched him for any info and still somehow gotten that wrong in respects to how he compares to his teammates.

I am not calling our prospects garbage I am saying I prefer other prospects over one guy who I think at his age is really a stretch to refer to as a prospect anymore.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
If Agostino sucks, the team will cut him loose in the summer since he's an RFA. But it would be silly to make a preemptive decision on him without first examining what he is to the best of their ability.

This move also does not count towards to the team's post-deadline transactions, which gives them the perfect opportunity to look at a guy essentially risk-free.

I really can't comprehend how this is a bad move at all. It's literally free of risk and doesn't cost the team anything since we're already guaranteed to miss the playoffs.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
By 23 most guys are having their best seasons at the NHL level. So the fact that he a. wasn't good enough to make the AHL prior to finishing 4 years of college and b. now is putting very mediocre numbers at the AHL level at 23 doesn't bode well for the future.

The list of forwards who start developing at 23 is very, very small.
So why is the answer to break up the curve of the 2 guys at 21 developing in the AHL or give it to the 25 year old or other 23 who aren't developing as well

Being the leading scorer for a bad AHL team doesn't mean much. Somebody has to be the leading scorer on the team.
And right now someone has to be called up from that team.

Not sure how Shinkaruk hasn't earned it other than not being with the Flames for long enough. His numbers are good and his talent is undeniable. He wouldn't be recalled because he was drafted higher he would be recalled because he is a better player with much better talent. And also is a guy that fits a role we need top 6 winger much better.
It comes down to not earning it in this org yet; he has more potential but why move him around even more this year

When did Shore have a poor showing at the NHL level? He was fine when up with the Flames.

When he couldn't earn a spot over a number of mediocre bottom 6 players when we needed him to. When he went -5 in 11 games with a sub 25 pt pace. What's the love for him anyways he's 25 should he be in a retirement home if Kenny is too old?

Hamilton has marginally less offensive numbers this year, much better offensive numbers historically, is marginally smaller but much more gritty and physical and better defensively.
Do you want to look at the numbers again? Kenny has historically been the better offensive player unless you are comparing OHL numbers to ECAC 1 for 1.

I am not calling our prospects garbage I am saying I prefer other prospects over one guy who I think at his age is really a stretch to refer to as a prospect anymore.

Yuck

Agostino is garbage personified.

moon*

So why is the answer to break up the curve of the 2 guys at 21 developing in the AHL or give it to the 25 year old or other 23 who aren't developing as well

I don't think that a few games would really break up the curve at all and I think Shore and Hamilton are better players than Agostino and that none of the 3 are developing anymore at their age.

It comes down to not earning it in this org yet; he has more potential but why move him around even more this year

I think we have seen this year that the whole "earning it" thing is BS and like the curve thing I am not sure a call up to the Flames is a big deal in terms of moving a guy around more.

When he couldn't earn a spot over a number of mediocre bottom 6 players when we needed him to. When he went -5 in 11 games with a sub 25 pt pace. What's the love for him anyways he's 25 should he be in a retirement home if Kenny is too old?

I never said Kenny is too old just too old for a prospect, I don't consider Shore a prospect either. I am not sure that poor decisions early in the season should have much bearing on what is going on now and really Shore is my third choice to call up so it isn't like I think he is some great option. I just see a role that he could fill going forward on the team and no spot for Agostino.

Do you want to look at the numbers again? Kenny has historically been the better offensive player unless you are comparing OHL numbers to ECAC 1 for 1.

OHL numbers versus NCAA do come into play but Hamilton has been more impressive overall as well not just back in their younger days.

As for the garbage comment, that was one guy not prospects as you said.

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
It's good to see the Flames giving Agostino another chance at the line up. He's part of the Iggy deal and they don't want to see Agostino go to waste. They'll be giving him all the chances he gets. I'm excited to see what Agostino will do this time.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Unlike Shinkaruk, Agostino can make a pass and receive them. Shinkaruk won't score goals at top 6 rate until he's able to do at least one of them.

Vkonroy

Oct 29, 2014
Calgary
Does anyone know how Waivers exempt status works after trade deadline for emergency call ups?

Kenny is still exempt, Hamilton and Shore are not, so not sure if that has something to do with it. Arnold and BVB are in the same RFA class as Kenny and are also waiver exempt.

I expect several more of these callups as we get closer to the end so we can see how our RFA crop can actually perform against NHL competition before QOs need to be drafted going into next year. While they may do well in the AHL the speed jump to the NHL can leave some very ineffective up there.

Agostino has a decent shot at a bottom 6 roll (excellent Stepniak comparison) , and we need consistent cost controlled energy players there; unfortunately Jooris and Ferland have been mostly invisible this season so I am ok with looking at other options.

You need a complete team to win down the road, not just game breaking top 6 talent.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
moon, its a single emergency call up. stop making such a big deal about it. If BT and hartley don't like what they see in him they won't resign him this summer. happy?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Good move

He is the most productive player on the farm

If nothing show that you reward players for doing good

moon*

moon, its a single emergency call up. stop making such a big deal about it. If BT and hartley don't like what they see in him they won't resign him this summer. happy?

I am not sure how I made a big deal about it.

I said I didn't like it and preferred other players to be called up. Then gave my reasons.

I don't think anyone should be fired for it, don't think it affects whether we win or lose and it doesn't affect whether I watch the game or not.

Just not a fan of the move. No big deal.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I love it.

Agostino always seems to get the short end of the stick by Flames fans.

I think he is better then most people give him credit for.

Also I agree this is a "see what we have here at the NHL level assessment"

Clearly Poirer and Klimchuk have a future here so do a few others. Let's see Kenny in action and then see what's up.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I love it.

Agostino always seems to get the short end of the stick by Flames fans.

I think he is better then most people give him credit for.
You mean, one person?

What is it with people around these parts? Everyone seems to suffer from a sense of false uniqueness.

Slush

Jan 26, 2016
Calgary, Canada
Meh, probably seeing what he has to see if they want to keep him or maybe dump him in the off season.

I was also thinking about this. This is definitely another try out for him to make the team or see if they can trade him in the off season. I hope they give him atleast a few more years though since he was part of the Iginla deal. He's still young too.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Meh, probably seeing what he has to see if they want to keep him or maybe dump him in the off season.
why would they be dumping him in the off-season? He's easily been one of the top players on the farm club the last year and a half; he needs to be a little stronger to make the NHL in my opinion, but he has all the other tools.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
why would they be dumping him in the off-season? He's easily been one of the top players on the farm club the last year and a half; he needs to be a little stronger to make the NHL in my opinion, but he has all the other tools.

Not good enough for the top 6
Not strong enough for the bottom 6

Not sure what they are going to do with him...probably bring him back if it's cheap but he'll be waiver material next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad