Recalled/Assigned: Kenny Agostino, ermergency basis.

moon*

Yuck

I like to see young guys brought up but can't we bring up a young guy with talent and/or a future at the NHL level?

Agostino is garbage personified.

And using the term "young" is a big stretch with this guy.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In other news, congrats to the guy. Sounds like he's been one of the more consistent producers at the AHL level this season. Hope it's nothing too serious for Benny boy.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Good for Kenny.

I hope he provides something similar to Hathaway with some more finish. We need to start having cheap bottom 6 options that can actually play hockey.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Yuck

I like to see young guys brought up but can't we bring up a young guy with talent and/or a future at the NHL level?

Agostino is garbage personified.

And using the term "young" is a big stretch with this guy.

He's 23 in his 2nd season of pro hockey
Drives the puck to the opposing net at every level he's played and leads an AHL team in scoring.

He might not be the sexiest name or pedigree but good to see his hard work isn't forgotten

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
In other news, congrats to the guy. Sounds like he's been one of the more consistent producers at the AHL level this season.

Really, he's figured out the AHL game since the second half of last season.

Agostino has some skills that can help our NHL team for sure, as he's got an almost Backlund-esque quality from the wing in terms of getting the puck up the ice.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Good for Kenny.

I hope he provides something similar to Hathaway with some more finish. We need to start having cheap bottom 6 options that can actually play hockey.

He doesn't have the physicality of Hathaway (not to say he is soft) but he plays a very strong 200 foot game. I would say they have comparable offensive attributes. Haven't seen quite enough to say which one is better in that regard. Agostino probably has the better shot.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He doesn't have the physicality of Hathaway (not to say he is soft) but he plays a very strong 200 foot game. I would say they have comparable offensive attributes. Haven't seen quite enough to say which one is better in that regard. Agostino probably has the better shot.
Agostino is better in every aspect but physical play.

moon*

He's 23 in his 2nd season of pro hockey
Drives the puck to the opposing net at every level he's played and leads an AHL team in scoring.

He might not be the sexiest name or pedigree but good to see his hard work isn't forgotten

Him being 23 and in his 2nd year of pro hockey is a negative not a positive.

He has shown zero indication of having offensive ability at any level of hockey. He has mediocre at best numbers in the AHL this year, isn't particularly good defensively, isn't a physical player.

He has zero future as a top 6 guy and seems to being very little other than a low salary to be a fit in the bottom 6. He is a perfect guy to have on your AHL team and fill in for a game or 2 in the middle of the season on the 4th line for 5-10 minutes and not hurt you.

The season is over. Why not bring up a young guy like Shinkaruk or Poirier who have some talent and may be a fit long term? See if they can find some chemistry with some of the guys or maybe in the black hole of the RW spot on the top line we have right now?

If not why not a guy like Drew Shore who has shown some ability as NHL player and could fit as a 4th line center on the team going forward. Or Freddie Hamilton who has similar stats, similar age but brings some of that grit that Agostino lacks?

It just seems like a bit of a pointless recall for a guy that brings nothing to the table and has has no fit with the Flames going forward.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I just meant being a spark-plug that can skate well, create even when they don't have the puck; and doesn't make stupid mistakes/turnovers.

Clearly Kenny will likely not be an offensive juggernaut, but as long as he makes a positive impact on this team, I'm happy.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I just meant being a spark-plug that can skate well, create even when they don't have the puck; and doesn't make stupid mistakes/turnovers.

Clearly Kenny will likely not be an offensive juggernaut, but as long as he makes a positive impact on this team, I'm happy.

That is pretty much his game. So I am optimistic he will do well in his role.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That is pretty much his game. So I am optimistic he will do well in his role.

All we need on this team's bottom 6 TBH. Oddly enough, Treliving has about as much work to do with the top 6 as the bottom 6 next year :laugh:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

He has shown zero indication of having offensive ability at any level of hockey. He has mediocre at best numbers in the AHL this year, isn't particularly good defensively, isn't a physical player.

He has zero future as a top 6 guy and seems to being very little other than a low salary to be a fit in the bottom 6. He is a perfect guy to have on your AHL team and fill in for a game or 2 in the middle of the season on the 4th line for 5-10 minutes and not hurt you.

The season is over. Why not bring up a young guy like Shinkaruk or Poirier who have some talent and may be a fit long term? See if they can find some chemistry with some of the guys or maybe in the black hole of the RW spot on the top line we have right now?

If not why not a guy like Drew Shore who has shown some ability as NHL player and could fit as a 4th line center on the team going forward. Or Freddie Hamilton who has similar stats, similar age but brings some of that grit that Agostino lacks?

It just seems like a bit of a pointless recall for a guy that brings nothing to the table and has has no fit with the Flames going forward.

One of the reasons he is being called up is to 'see what we have in him'. As you say, he is an 'older' prospect who may or may not be in the organization next year (although I would guess he will).

With players like Shinkaruk, Poirier we know they aren't going anywhere. They don't need to 'prove' themselves at this stage in their development. Management wants to see what they have in these older guys as it helps them make roster choices in the offseason.

As for your assessment of Agostino, ill disagree.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Kenny Hockey recalled for the emergency tank.

This doesn't count against our call up limit right? Nice to see some young blood in the lineup, can't be worse than Bollig and Jooris.

moon*

One of the reasons he is being called up is to 'see what we have in him'. As you say, he is an 'older' prospect who may or may not be in the organization next year (although I would guess he will).

With players like Shinkaruk, Poirier we know they aren't going anywhere. They don't need to 'prove' themselves at this stage in their development. Management wants to see what they have in these older guys as it helps them make roster choices in the offseason.

As for your assessment of Agostino, ill disagree.

So we are hoping that he shows something in the NHL that he hasn't in the AHL or NCAA? It is clear what he is and isn't very good at all.

If we need a guy that we want to see what we have in him why not Shore? He has shown good FO ability, a good ability to play a role at the NHL and AHL level. Why not see if he can be the 4th line center?

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
By being on the right side of 25 and only 2 years of pro hockey I meant he's "young" and there's room to grow.

I'm not going to bother arguing the negative aspect of this when our leading NHL scorer will also be 23 before his 3rd pro season.

Team leading numbers in the AHL for a prospect are more than zero indication of having an offensive game, it's a tough league for young players.
Yes he's good defensively the guy is a 200 ft player by every account.
He may not be a physical player but he's finding success in a very physical league.

The guy projects at best to be Lee Stempniak and while it's not an ideal top 6 type of player if he can continue to grow he'd be a cheap 3rd line LW so there's value in seeing him play.

Because neither of those players have earned it, when you say Kenny has mediocre numbers how can you justify bringing up much more 1 dimensional offensive players with much worse numbers, just because they were picked higher? We traded perhaps our best player ever for Kenny.

Shore already had a poor showing for us at the NHL level, Hamilton is smaller, less offensive, less effective at moving the puck up ice.

Why call our prospects garbage when you have no idea who they even are or how they play? You seem to have stat watched him for any info and still somehow gotten that wrong in respects to how he compares to his teammates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad