Music: Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers (May 13)

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Wow.

Just wow.

The video and the song.

I've only listened to this twice and I love it a lot, and I didn't like DAMN. very much.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
It’s opening to many perfect scores
To surprise of no one, honestly feels like Kendrick could drop the most mid album and it would still get perfect score due to the hype and K.Dot being a critics sweetheart.

But yeah, i’m just now listening to it for the
first time so i’ll drop my opinion on it later, need this to be fuego now that Thugger is locked up

• Haha
Reactions: max21

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Heavy album that really sheds Kendrick in another light. Listening to him self reflect on his wrong doings and what he's trying to do to right his wrongs, preach. So much hate and toxicity nowadays. Everyone just looks at actions on the surface and not why they may have been pushed or what led them to these decisions.

I hope this isn't a send off or anything and there is still new Kendrick material in the future. But if not, thank you for what you've brought to this world. You should be proud.

Reactions: Club

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I was very excited after seeing Ghostface in the tracklist but I came away from the track pretty disappointed. I'll listen to the rest later but not a great first impression.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
To surprise of no one, honestly feels like Kendrick could drop the most mid album and it would still get perfect score due to the hype and K.Dot being a critics sweetheart.

But yeah, i’m just now listening to it for the
first time so i’ll drop my opinion on it later, need this to be fuego now that Thugger is locked up

Kind of agree with that sentiment as well. I like Kendrick Lamar and think he's done some really good work over the course of his career but good lord, does this guy seem to get an enormous amount of automatic goodwill no matter what he does. Could be just an entirely personal and false perception but I see what you're talking about as well.

Could do without the prophet persona/aesthetic he seems to have bought into as well.

Reactions: Mikeaveli and OKR

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Kind of agree with that sentiment as well. I like Kendrick Lamar and think he's done some really good work over the course of his career but good lord, does this guy seem to get an enormous amount of automatic goodwill no matter what he does. Could be just an entirely personal and false perception but I see what you're talking about as well.

Could do without the prophet persona/aesthetic he seems to have bought into as well.
Lmao go listen to this album

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I was very excited after seeing Ghostface in the tracklist but I came away from the track pretty disappointed. I'll listen to the rest later but not a great first impression.
I wouldnt skip around the album before your first listen. The way each song transistions to the next is dope, and there's A LOT to digest. Im only halfway through the album. Taking my time with it.

I feel like- on the surface- this album may be criticized for lacking hits or being boring, which is a faie critique. It's not for everyone, But man- some of these songs are layered with so much substance that it's going to take a while to fully grasp this album.

Daddy issues is one that i can really relate, too. The hook is blah, but the song in its entirety makes my mind travel back throughout my past experiences shedding light on memories that were long forgotten, which allows me to gain a perspective i didnt have as a kid.

So, i really dont know how I'll rate this album, but I know for a fact this album is going to take me on a journey that other albums cant replicate. That's pretty cool in its own right, and this is coming from someone who isnt a stan toward Kendrick, though i do respect his work.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
This was meh to me through two listens. Like a few songs, but it's nothing special. The best song was The Heart Part 5 and that wasn't even technically on the album.

But Kendrick's been hit or miss for me for a while now. I loved Section.80 and GKMC, hated TPAB and untitled and DAMN was probably just a little better than this one.

JimmyApples

Sep 24, 2021
I don't think the album quite reaches the highs of TPAB or GKMC, but I think it's his 3rd best album and a 9.5/10, or maybe even a 10. There isn't really a song I skip or dislike, and at times, the wordplay seems like Kendrick has reached a new level you didn't think was possible.

Mother I Sober is probably the highlight of the album. It's the song that leaves you speechless after.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I don't think the album quite reaches the highs of TPAB or GKMC, but I think it's his 3rd best album and a 9.5/10, or maybe even a 10. There isn't really a song I skip or dislike, and at times, the wordplay seems like Kendrick has reached a new level you didn't think was possible.

Mother I Sober is probably the highlight of the album. It's the song that leaves you speechless after.
What a testament to Kendrick. His 3rd best album is a 9.5/10, maybe even a 10. He's just on a crazy level.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
finally had a chance to listen to the whole album. fell a bit flat on me personally but as Kendrick says he cant please everybody. N95 and Savior hit the best for me. solid 7/10

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
it's so good. Oh my goodness. My favourite from him in a long time, I think I only have GKMC over it. I've never really loved TPAB, just not enough memorable instrumentals and I didn't connect to the overarching narrative like I did with GKMC. But this new one retains a lot of the musical adventurousness of that album with imo better writing and more replayable production

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad