Ken Holland's Remarks about the off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Holland on the off-season:

The Red Wings’ biggest needs are a goal-scoring winger, preferably with decent size, and a top-four defenseman, preferably a right-handed shooter.

“We need more scoring, but lots of teams need that,” Holland said. “Lots of teams are looking for a right-handed shooting defenseman. If we can find a top-four right-handed shooting defenseman by trade or free agency, we’d certainly like to add one.”

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/04/red_wings_have_a_long_way_to_g.html

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
One way or another, I'm pretty confident well have at least 1 RH defenseman next year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Have to figure based on Holland's comments they will target Boyle and Niskanen in free agency. I'm sure we will kick the tires on both.

Will predict they will go with a bargain pick-up like Zidlicky, after conplaining about the price being too high for Boyle and Niskanen.

Which top 4 RH D (Holland's criteria) could be had via trade? Any ideas?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
"Getting Sproul into the lineup is like a trade season acquisition."

There would be some growing pains, but kids an enormous talent.

Wouldn't be that surprised. I think Marchenko is a safer option, and still provides the size and RH shot.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Have to figure based on Holland's comments they will target Boyle and Niskanen in free agency. I'm sure we will kick the tires on both.

Will predict they will go with a bargain pick-up like Zidlicky, after conplaining about the price being too high for Boyle and Niskanen.

i don't think zidlicky hits UFA.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
What Ken Holland is saying for the offseason

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/04/red_wings_have_a_long_way_to_g.html

“We need more scoring, but lots of teams need that,” Holland said. “Lots of teams are looking for a right-handed shooting defenseman. If we can find a top-four right-handed shooting defenseman by trade or free agency, we’d certainly like to add one.”

If Daniel Alfredsson opts to play another season, the Red Wings would consider bringing him back. David Legwand, who didn’t have much of an impact and finished the playoffs on the fourth line, probably won’t be re-signed. Defenseman Kyle Quincey also is unlikely to return, possibly replaced by young Xavier Ouellet

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

If Daniel Alfredsson opts to play another season, the Red Wings would consider bringing him back. David Legwand, who didn’t have much of an impact and finished the playoffs on the fourth line, probably won’t be re-signed. Defenseman Kyle Quincey also is unlikely to return, possibly replaced by young Xavier Ouellet

Well, what a waste both of those trades were. I'm fine with Holland as the GM as he sets the tone for the rest of the FO but he really shouldn't be allowed to make any trades.

Last edited:

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
Babcock has previously said he wants three right handed defenseman. That's just not going to happen next season. With Oullet being the most likely rookie to start for the Wings in October, there will only be room for one right handed defenseman. Hopefully our top 2 savior. Sproul is right-handed, but since our middle-range defensemen are solid (Ericsson, Smith, DeKeyser), I don't see room for him this season.

Holland's going to have to make some tough choices this year and next. Do you trade your prospects who you have no room for, or do you load up on them like we did this year and inevitably struggle?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...ure-promising-Red-Wings-need-aggressive-moves

“We’ve been saying it now for three years — it looks good for the future, it looks good for the future, it looks good for the future,†Zetterberg said after the Wings’ 4-2 loss in Boston. “Obviously we have good young guys in our system that really showed they can play. But we’ve seen that before, too. We kept the playoff streak going, but it’s getting tiring to not go deeper.â€

Datsyuk is 35 now, and when his knees are right, he’s still one of the best in the world. But he might require surgery, and he and Zetterberg, 33, have been banged up a lot lately. Datsyuk was asked if the Wings still can be considered legitimate Cup contenders, and he spoke softly.

“It’s hard to say, because you can say yes or no, but if you’re out first round, second round, it’s hard to say yes,†he said. “We have good potential with lots of young guys, but we need more experience too. It can’t be lots of young guys or lots of veterans. Nobody knows the magical formula.â€

The future is obviously here, so it's time to make some bold moves. While patience has paid off in many respects, we can see the players getting antsy as well.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I have a feeling the Red Wings are better off if Holland simply stays away from trades from now on...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

The list of realistic targets isn't all that sexy. Guys who all come with a downside to some degree, of course. But it's always hard to say who is on the trade market if you cough up some good assets.

I still say they should swing for the fences on a guy like Mike Green. Or hey, Dustin Byfuglien. Get some scoring from the blueline and another guy that can crunch bigger minutes to help out Kronwall. I know both of those guys have their warts, but the offense they generate is pretty undeniable.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
So, they might re-sign Gus. Other than that, everyone walks.

In terms of external acquisitions, the priorities are to upgrade on Quincey and Alfredsson in the top 4 D and top 6 F, respectively. It sounds like they will also have a battle among the 4 young D prospects and the winner gets the #6 D spot. I'm guessing that Kindl is shopped and eventually traded.

I think they make Tatar a permanent top 6 forward next year. So, top 6 for the majority of the season (lines will inevitably be juggled a lot) are Z, D, Franzen, Nyquist, Tatar and their big forward acquisition. Weiss, Jurco and Sheahan could form a quality 3rd scoring line and then Helm and Abdelkader are staples on a grind line with either Glendening or Miller rotating in. Maybe Mantha is a phenom and pushes his way into the top 9 at some point, as well.

Kronwall, Ericsson, DD and Smith are quality defenseman but they need a lot more depth. Next year, the young D prospects will probably have a similar year to what the forwards did this year and that will help a lot. They are going to add a vet top 4 D, as well. I'm guessing Boyle will be a top target.

With all of that, I still think they'd be a player or two short, but they also can't hamstring themselves in years to come with bad contracts when they need to re-sign all these young guys. So, there is a balancing act there. Get 2 big upgrades on D and at forward, hopefully get Z, D, Franzen, Weiss and Helm healthy and get a lot of internal growth from all the young players and see what happens.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...ure-promising-Red-Wings-need-aggressive-moves

The future is obviously here, so it's time to make some bold moves. While patience has paid off in many respects, we can see the players getting antsy as well.

There's a shocker. In other words, Hank and Datsyuk are sick of carrying the load.

As for defenseman, there are several options. The question is whether Holland is going to balk at prices for the umpteenth time or get creative. I would say he'll pull the same old conservative crap, but he's probably feeling a little bit of pressure right now.

Something to keep in mind though is that Dekeyser is a UFA in 3 years, so his upcoming contract will probably be 2 years. Or at least it should be. It would be a terrible to have his "bridge deal" expire the year he can hit free agency. So a stop-gap for 2 years would make a lot of sense.

As for the trade route, some ideas are Byfuglien (would really help our PP in more ways than one), Wideman (desperation move), Green (risky move), Bieksa (probably wouldn't waive his NTC), Schultz (only because Edmonton management fails), and Subban/Krug (would probably require offer sheets).

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Must be really frustrating for Z and Dats. This team could have contended the last 2 years with smarter decisions. Their GM is effectively willing to lose their final years in hopes of grooming the next generation.

Which is beyond stupid since we have 0 impact centers in our system. Hell, its questionable whether we have a bona fide 2nd line center in our system. Sheahan will have to show us a little more.

davecrockburn

Jun 8, 2011
I'm pretty worried about what happens to our plethora of D prospects if we sign a UFA to a 2+ year contract. If we sign Niskanen long term we risk getting our D prospects poached for nothing when they run out of options and we have no roster space for them. I think I would rather try to swing a trade for a more proven Dman than Niskanen (has only had 1 good year) involving one of our D prospects+. I can deal with Boyle for 1 year if it means we see 2 of Sproul/Ouellet/Marchenko the year after. I'd actually prefer if we promote both Marchenko and Ouellet next year and sign nobody new.

We almost have too many D prospects for GR right now as it is:

Ouellet - Sproul
Backman - Marchenko
Almquist - Jensen

Something has to give considering only 2-3 will be able to play long term in our core of Kronwall, Smith, Dekeyser, Ericsson.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Must be really frustrating for Z and Dats. This team could have contended the last 2 years with smarter decisions. Their GM is effectively willing to lose their final years in hopes of grooming the next generation.

Wow, weird to see this argument.

Since I've viewed/commented on this board it's always been the opposite.

Not saying I agree or disagree, just weird.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Which is beyond stupid since we have 0 impact centers in our system. Hell, its questionable whether we have a bona fide 2nd line center in our system. Sheahan will have to show us a little more.

How does that not prove my point? You don't have, and you have lots of cap space (pre-Cleary and Sam and Bert signings) and you don't do anything.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Wow, weird to see this argument.

Since I've viewed/commented on this board it's always been the opposite.

Not saying I agree or disagree, just weird.

How so? Stockpiling young assets and grooming them with sprinkles of NHL games and lots of AHL experience, while not addressing scoring and D needs. I'm all for the AHL experience, but not at the neglect of the NHL needs.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
How so? Stockpiling young assets and grooming them with sprinkles of NHL games and lots of AHL experience, while not addressing scoring and D needs. I'm all for the AHL experience, but not at the neglect of the NHL needs.

Many people have complained the veteran signings and trades that have blocked the kids have stunted their growth at the expense of Holland's delusions that the team could win.

You're saying the opposite. For the record, I have no dog in this fight, just clarifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad