Ken Holland End of Season Press Conference

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Larkin will be the C for the rest of his career even if we draft Hughes, Lafreniere, Savoie the next 3 drafts and sign Karlsson, Trouba, Panarin, and Dadonov. Nothing will change that.

Reactions: Sentinel

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Knows them better than any of us. The lack of credit given to this man is amazing. Such a spoiled fan base I swear.

Did you watch the press conference? He went on and on about Detroit teams of the past. Contradicted himself 5 minutes after he said something.

He deserves plenty of credit for winning cups. He also deserves plenty of credit for the mess the team is in with bad drafting to over paying our own players and free agents.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Did you watch the press conference? He went on and on about Detroit teams of the past. Contradicted himself 5 minutes after he said something.

He deserves plenty of credit for winning cups. He also deserves plenty of credit for the mess the team is in with bad drafting to over paying our own players and free agents.

Sure, and I place blame where it is due. To say the man does not understand the rules of Hockey is ignorant.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
He doesnt understand the way the NHL is now, that is abudently clear. I am sure he will prove it with some free agent signings this offseason as per usual.

If he does, you're right and I'm wrong.. I'll admit it.
Not 1 of Hollands haters will do the same if he does well this offseason. book it.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
Last offseason was good? He signed Vanek and gave him an NTC.

1 year deal. OMZOGOGOGOGOG so bad.
It was a smart signing to bring in a vet who has worked well with AA in the past. Also to help mentor the kids.
Plus his draft was awesome.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
1 year deal. OMZOGOGOGOGOG so bad.
It was a smart signing to bring in a vet who has worked well with AA in the past. Also to help mentor the kids.
Plus his draft was awesome.

The draft isn't the 'offseason' that's the 'draft'. And Vanek nixed a trade to Boston, costing the team an asset. It was a bad move.

Reactions: hkydave04

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

Nov 2, 2018
The draft isn't the 'offseason' that's the 'draft'. And Vanek nixed a trade to Boston, costing the team an asset. It was a bad move.

No it really wasn't.
Question, when does the draft happen? Are teams still playing or is the season over?

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Last offseason was good? He signed Vanek and gave him an NTC. He also didn't bet on Larkin by giving him 8 years for a slightly higher cap hit, and looks dumb now.

In terms of his track record since about 2012, I'd say offseason was great.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
This kind of strange forum. Instead of discussing what Holland said people just talking about about personal filling about man .

Reactions: RedWingsDad

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Name the last offseason hes done well.

Name me the last offseason before then that he wasn't burdened with something like LTIR or dealing a 7.5M contract of no player for something.

In fact, Ken Holland has only really had two disastrous offseasons. (Probably should have been fired for them, because they were that bad) 2012 and 2016.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

Name me the last offseason before then that he wasn't burdened with something like LTIR or dealing a 7.5M contract of no player for something.

In fact, Ken Holland has only really had two disastrous offseasons. (Probably should have been fired for them, because they were that bad) 2012 and 2016.

2014 deserves at least HM. on disastrous offseason category.

but yes, the last two offseasons and even seasons overall have been good though i didn't like the '17 draft. then or now. let's hope he builds on that this year.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
2014 deserves at least HM. on disastrous offseason category.

but yes, the last two offseasons and even seasons overall have been good though i didn't like the '17 draft. then or now. let's hope he builds on that this year.

I mean, that one for lack of a better way of saying wasn't really his fault. He did everything right, but all of the options in the market simply turned down his offers. I mean, it would have been idiocy to offer more than 3x6 for Dan Boyle or go higher than 7m+ for Niskanen, or whichever. And he did pull Dylan Larkin at 15 in that draft.

It wasn't a good offseason, but it wasn't the straight up anchor on the franchise that 2016 was or the sheer waste of money that 2012 turned out to be. And what's crazy is that if Suter doesn't have Parise there in his ear about Minnesota, 2012 probably turns out to be one of the best offseasons that Detroit ever had.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012

What in the hell do you consider the offseason then? Just FA? If you mean just FA and want to complain about his free agency periods, just say so.

The draft is part of the offseason. It's one of the biggest parts of the offseason that affects everything.

And la-de-****ing da. Vanek cost us a 5th round pick. I'll go cry at the shrine of Julius Vahatalo or Joren Von Pottelberghe. I swear some people with the complaining about missing assets. Sure, Thomas Vanek cost us a low draft pick that will have a 0.001% in being an NHL player and that's greater than zero. But we quite literally have 10 picks this year, 4 of which are in the top 60. At some point we need to cull down the quantity of picks for more quality.

Essentially trading Vanek would be like selling a stick of gum for $1 when we've just gotten our $2500 paycheck from work. Would trading him give us $2501 and is that more than $2500? Sure, but it's completely immaterial. Anything we could do with $2501 we can do with $2500... and it is sheer lunacy to say "oh man, you shoulda sold that gum" if you run into trouble and you're broke at the end of the month. The bigger issue would be what you spent the $2500 you already had on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad