Ken Holland End of Season Press Conference

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I just started watching but I thought the little tidbit about him and Babs and KH was like "Babs came out and said over-ripe to you guys, now I gotta deal with over-ripe." was pretty funny.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think that what other posters have said isn't wrong per se, but, I would argue that it's reading a lot of hope into it. I think that there were some disconcerting things he said. He basically said tie goes to the vet, and he's not going to try to trade roster players.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I like what he said when asked about Colorado. That he would love a jump like that next year but he's not thinking with that mentality.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I think that what other posters have said isn't wrong per se, but, I would argue that it's reading a lot of hope into it. I think that there were some disconcerting things he said. He basically said tie goes to the vet, and he's not going to try to trade roster players.

He didn't say any of those things, and at certain points inplied the opposite...to claim otherwise either implies an opinion that refuses to change regardless of the evidence, or is dishonest.

He's basically saying what a number of us suggested. That a couple of years ago he recognised that the rebuild was going to have to start, but didn't want to deliberately miss the playoffs while making the team younger. As evidenced by the Tats trade, he has known for a while that we are not remotely a playoff team, and that he doesn't 'like our team'

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Great he will try to get more defense, takes longer to develop them. So first round will be best possible d

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Hopefully he continues to improve the team by looking to the future.

That way we can all unite and be excited for the future together.

Reactions: TheMule93

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Thanks for posting this. I really was yelling at clouds... in the wrong thread. It's much more helpful to form an opinion on Holland's strategy when you hear it from the man's mouth. Or hands, lol. I've never seen so many hand gestures. I've got to find a way to edit the hand motions to music or something, just crazy. I wonder what the experts who study body language would say about that conference.

Anyways, nothing new. A couple of puzzling comments:

- The Wings might be in on the FA market, depending on the term? Then he says only as an upgrade, or that really they're thinking of drafts now and support later. Kind of confusing.

- Comparing the idea of rebuilding in 2015 to 2013, Holland's reply is "What difference does it make?" Sort of sidestepped the question of how much the new arena factored into their thought process.

-He's seen a team throw 20 kids on the ice? Was he referring to Edmonton? If so that's far from reality.

-When asked about goalies, he says "we don't have anyone signed do we?", and for a second didn't know who Jimmy was. :laugh:

-Several times referred to the draft as the lottery. Unless he knows something we don't...

I still dislike the consistent attitude that young players will come in only when they're "ready" (or "competitive" he said a little later). How many times have prospects proven to be much more effective than they believed? Same thing as only letting go of Tatar, further signs their plan is to keep rebuilding on the fly.

Holland did admit a few of the contracts aren't great (but all teams have them) and they didn't draft well for defensemen. But I'm surprised their wasn't more passion expressed or personal responsibility taken.

For the record he never brought up the FO personnel. Only after the suggestion said he'd be open to changes. Funny his concept of upgrades was hiring two PD directors instead of one. Oh well I'm not sure what I was expecting. Onto the draft... er lottery.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I still dislike the consistent attitude that young players will come in only when they're "ready" (or "competitive" he said a little later). How many times have prospects proven to be much more effective than they believed? Same thing as only letting go of Tatar, further signs their plan is to keep rebuilding on the fly..

I took this as him rewording 'tie goes to the veteran' mantra of years past and in context that's the only real way you can take it. He'd rather have a vet in a slot for "competitiveness" over a kid that will have growing pains and makes them less "competitive".

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I took this as him rewording 'tie goes to the veteran' mantra of years past and in context that's the only real way you can take it. He'd rather have a vet in a slot for "competitiveness" over a kid that will have growing pains and makes them less "competitive".

For sure. And the fact he keeps repeating the sentiment. Not that it effects our place in the standings drastically but in general I feel it's the wrong approach. Their evaluation of when guys are competitive anyways seems to be way off.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
ypoIZD1.gif

xFhjq0t.gif

PbyGjul.gif

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad