Ken Holland Appreciation Thread

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Happy with all of Holland's moves except one.

Would say it would have been better off not signing Kassian until after seeing how AA Ennis etc pan out.

Right now we could be looking at paying Kassian 3.2 million to be a bottom 6 player.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Happy with all of Holland's moves except one.

Would say it would have been better off not signing Kassian until after seeing how AA Ennis etc pan out.

Right now we could be looking at paying Kassian 3.2 million to be a bottom 6 player.
This is my only complaint as well, but man I love Kenny.

Paying Kass 3.2 mil to play in the bottom-6 isn't the worst thing in the world, with his toughness and skillset.

It feels good to finally have a competent GM.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He will get dealt this summer, most likely at the draft. Bank on it

Doubt it.

I think he will need one more year in Europe. His value can go higher if he keeps improving. I guess he could quit trying...but then I can only guess that would make Holland even more patient.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Doubt it.

I think he will need one more year in Europe. His value can go higher if he keeps improving. I guess he could quit trying...but then I can only guess that would make Holland even more patient.

Does anyone know if he’s taking English lessons, or is the year back home basically making his English obsolete?

Reactions: ujju2

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
yah the two seconds for AA seems like overkill right now. I knew the guy was fast but that's about it.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
yah the two seconds for AA seems like overkill right now. I knew the guy was fast but that's about it.

2 2nds is a song. That's not much to give up at all for a 25 year old 30 goal scorer with team control. If he didn't have question marks, he'd be an easy 1st rounder at the deadline. If he doesn't work out as a top 6 option? Well, you took a shot. As Holland said, no risk no gain. Not everything works out perfectly, but you have to take a shot. This gamble didn't even cost much. If it doesn't work out, AA still has value around the league.

3 games on a new team, playing against elite competition, in a very tight playoff race, is really not the best sample for any player. So, it's also not worth evaluating the transaction with that sample. If he was a rental maybe you look at a shorter time span, but he's not. Give it a season. We'll see how it works out.

fresh meat

Nov 29, 2018
2 2nds is a song. That's not much to give up at all for a 25 year old 30 goal scorer with team control. If he didn't have question marks, he'd be an easy 1st rounder at the deadline. If he doesn't work out as a top 6 option? Well, you took a shot. As Holland said, no risk no gain. Not everything works out perfectly, but you have to take a shot. This gamble didn't even cost much. If it doesn't work out, AA still has value around the league.

3 games on a new team, playing against elite competition, in a very tight playoff race, is really not the best sample for any player. So, it's also not worth evaluating the transaction with that sample. If he was a rental maybe you look at a shorter time span, but he's not. Give it a season. We'll see how it works out.
No kidding. Give the guy some time. He's also likely not 100% as he got banged up in the Vegas game.

We saw how wrong certain posters were about Yamo when they jumped to conclusions on a small sample size.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No kidding. Give the guy some time. He's also likely not 100% as he got banged up in the Vegas game.

We saw how wrong certain posters were about Yamo when they jumped to conclusions on a small sample size.
I've noticed that with him and McDavid, McDavid's passes are often not spot on, like he wasn't expecting AA to be as fast as he is. You have to think that they will be dyanmite but it will take a little time.

But it is the wrong time of year for experiments. I get that. But I don't think it would take a ton of time.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
also, I could state the obvious, that the kid has 2 points in 3 games. Not exactly a slump

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Thank you for taking the best part of this team, the piece de resistance, the oh-so-beautiful yet lethally and deadly powerplay and making it even better.

Thank you for not making any dumbass trades.

Thank you for not overpaying any single player (other than Mikey but even then that was only a $1.5M 1-year contract).

I never got a chance to see that 80's team live in action. Sure I was alive, but I was only a snotbag preschooler at the time.

Thank you for giving me a chance to see that 80's team live in action today. I look forward to seeing the team win (or loose) every game 7-5.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Thank you for taking the best part of this team, the piece de resistance, the oh-so-beautiful yet lethally and deadly powerplay and making it even better.

Thank you for not making any dumbass trades.

Thank you for not overpaying any single player (other than Mikey but even then that was only a $1.5M 1-year contract).

I never got a chance to see that 80's team live in action. Sure I was alive, but I was only a snotbag preschooler at the time.

Thank you for giving me a chance to see that 80's team live in action today. I look forward to seeing the team win (or loose) every game 7-5.

Interesting take. I agree we are a significantly more offensively talented team than last year and Holland managed it very cheaply.

Unfortunately it may turn out to be more like winning/losing 4-3 regularly with a chance that losing is the majority. We won't be averaging 6 GF and 6 GA next year.

Tippett was Holland's best move last year while he bought/retained/bargain binned quantity over quality. Tippett got the absolute most out of his players special teams and clung on for dear life 5v5.

If anything the chance that Barrie will improve our PP is unlikely as it was nigh historical.

This year Holland has added talent and I really wonder if Tippett is the right coach to get the most out of a 3 scoring lines team. I also believe by adding Barrie (RD), Puljujarvi (RW), and Turris (RC) all very good PP options... He will most likely have to drastically change the PP to get those players involved more.

We are still a bad team 5v5 and there is only so much room for growth on the PP and only so much time to go around.

But it should certainly be a interesting and hopefully exciting/good year for the Oilers.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
In typical Oilers fashion I'm sure this will come back to bite me somehow but I have to throw some more props to the man for this off-season.

He seems to know a thing or two about building a roster around existing elite talent.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
This is my only complaint as well, but man I love Kenny.

Paying Kass 3.2 mil to play in the bottom-6 isn't the worst thing in the world, with his toughness and skillset.

It feels good to finally have a competent GM.

Good teams have an expensive player or two. Rather Overpay Kass than take a risk on someone similar to him.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Neither Puljujarvi nor Yamamoto are tracking towards bust status.

A large selection of oiler fans are some of the most critical I've ever seen.

How many Oilers have a tenure of 5 years let alone since the decade of darkness started. We can't blame this group for past failures
Lots of Debbie Downers and Chicken Littles
U should save this post. I predict good numbers for Puju and Yama. Todd MacLellan was an idiot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad