TV: Ken Burns: Country Music(PBS)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Looks interesting.

One complaint on the preview.

Original country and western music back in the 1800s grew from Gaelic and Celtic music that the first wave of Irish and Scottish immigrants that went over.

Small complaint I know

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Looks interesting.

Original country and western music back in the 1800s grew from Gaelic and Celtic music that the first wave of Irish and Scottish immigrants that went over.

Small complaint I know
It's higlighted in the first episode.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Looks interesting.

Small complaint I know
Country music dates from the 17th century in England. Of course I'm referencing John Playford's manuals which specify the actual dances that were done to this music. This got popular in places like France, Spain and Ireland in the 18th century and from there you go from English jigs to Irish and Scottish jigs. In France and Spain, these eventually turn into Habañera, Sol and the Minuet.

In this set, there are tunes here that modern country fiddlers still know how to play. However, these tunes are played at a courtly pace and not at say a barn's pace.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I think the first episodes have been outstanding, and I don't even like country music. Came across it channel surfing the other night, and couldn't stop watching it.

Highly recommended. Would love to see similar series on other genres.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think the first episodes have been outstanding, and I don't even like country music. Came across it channel surfing the other night, and couldn't stop watching it.

Burns did one on jazz, which I haven't seen.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues

I have always loved rock and started getting into alt/country about 15 years ago. That lead to getting into Cash, Hank, Waylon, Willie, etc. This show has been great for me at filling in other pieces, timelines and origins of the different genres of country.
I did watch the Jazz doc and enjoyed that despite not being much of a fan of jazz.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I love how many people (and its not exclusive to this thread even a little bit) always feel the need to specify that they don't like country music. "I like all music.......except country" is such a common refrain.

I wonder where this reflex comes from. People dont do the same for any other genre. Its always "except country".

Anyway, if Ken Burns made it then its probably great.

Last edited:

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Ken Burns' Jazz changed my life. I don't think this one is streaming north of the border but I'll definitely be binging it at some point when the DVDs are out.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
For me , the "I don't usually like country music" refrain stems from hundreds of days at work in the 90s when the manager would have the country station playing all day long. Hour after hour of Garth Brooks, Randy Travis, Alan Jackson, etc. singing bland songs that all sounded the same, yet were all uniquely annoying in their own way. If this series goes into that era, it will not make me appreciate that music anymore.

But it's definitely interested me so far. I know next to nothing about country music's history. Before watching this, I had no idea that Willie Nelson wrote "Crazy". I knew the name Jimmie Rodgers, but couldn't name any songs he did. I'm finding all the stories in this series captivating.

The only country I've ever had in my collection were figures from the 50s (Cash, Elvis, Everlys, Conway) or the 80s (Steve Earle) whose work could be considered more rock than country. I don't know if I'd enjoy listening to the discographies of Hank Williams or the Carter Family, but hearing brief snippets of their songs and the stories behind them in this series makes me want to.

Reactions: plank

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Two episodes left.

#7 Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way? 1973-1983
Looking forward to Willie, Waylon and Outlaw country!

#8 Don't Get Above Your Raisin 1984-1996
George Strait, Randy Travis, The Judds, Garth Brooks:thumbd:
too bad the series has to end on a period I don't like, at least they'll touch on the Cash/Rubin American Recordings.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I love how many people (and its not exclusive to this thread even a little bit) always feel the need to specify that they don't like country music. "I like all music.......except country" is such a common refrain.

I wonder where this reflex comes from. People dont do the same for any other genre. Its always "except country".

Anyway, if Ken Burns made it then its probably great.
It's a complement to the Documentary that it interests someone in subject they normally don't follow. Personally I can think of a couple other instances, where I've never surfed or boarded (just never came up) but really enjoyed Dogtown and the Z-boys or Two Escobars when I loathe soccer.

Marty Staurt's first talking head bit I was like "Yeah whatever" but he's gone on to impress me with how encyclopedic his knowledge of the subject.

Reactions: plank

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I like authentic country, was planning to post in the country thread today, and will watch this and Jazz.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->