Recalled/Assigned: Kempe recalled, Strome assigned to Tucson

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I thought we were going to see more Tippet in Tocchet, than we are. I'm starting to think we need a hybrid of the two, but hey - it's still early.... just hard to figure how there can be such a lack of structure, despite being early.

Exactly. That's why I wanted Gallant until he got hired by Vegas. Old school but good with young players and willing to adapt to the modern game. Did a fantastic job with Florida and you can already see his handwriting if you watch Vegas.

Lack of experience amongst the staff I guess. Let's hope they'll figure it out. So far, I'm not impressed. And I don't even mean the results...

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
These guys are pros and they're paid like it. If you don't perform (faceoffs included) then you should be subject to being sent down if eligible. Who cares if it was only two games. Toc and company saw something in those two games from Stome (or didn't see something) that they didn't see in the preseason or training camp that warranted him being demoted. Enough with this he should have started in Tucson BS. Strome is a big boy and now he needs to show it.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
When he had the puck, he made consistently good decisions with it, and I felt pleasantly surprised by his defense as someone who watched him all last year in junior. His extra skating has allowed him to pursue guys a bit more than previously. He is still not 'intense' on the puck but the entire team isn't. If he elevates the puck just a bit more against Anaheim, he doesn't get demoted IMO.

I don't like short leashes. Give a guy a run of 10 games in his intended role. This is your 3rd overall pick and a major part of the rebuild. It's the least you can do.

Pulling random levers after losses was Tippett's thing. I'm not saying Tocchet is prone to it, but this has me slightly concerned.

I like Strome more than most and I while I think this was done in haste, a few games in the A will not hurt him. It happened to Dvorak last year as well.

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
Lack of experience amongst the staff I guess. Let's hope they'll figure it out. So far, I'm not impressed. And I don't even mean the results...
He's seriously TWO games into in tenure. Are you flipping serious? It takes time to gel, players and coaches alike. Calm the hell down.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We all have to take a chill pill here. It's only two games in. Tocc knows this team has to have a good start and so far we have not. It's better to have Strome spend a few games in the A than being scratched here. Our vets have to show the way and they have certainly not done that in any way shape or form.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I like Strome more than most and I while I think this was done in haste, a few games in the A will not hurt him. It happened to Dvorak last year as well.

It didn't. Dvorak didn't play a single game in the AHL and they should have never sent him down. He was far better last year than Strome is now. It's not even close. Tippett brainfarts to send him down twice. I think pretty much everybody was upset when it happened.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
We all have to take a chill pill here. It's only two games in. Tocc knows this team has to have a good start and so far we have not. It's better to have Strome spend a few games in the A than being scratched here. Our vets have to show the way and they have certainly not done that in any way shape or form.

Again, I'm not talking about the results. I'm talking about the messy roster/system and the Coaching. Tough to ask from more from the vets if they don't get to play...

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.

Dvorak was assigned to the A last year but he never actually played a game down there. Who knows if he even left town or if it was simply a paper transaction all along. IIRC there were some injuries that may have prevented the coaching staff from actually sending CD to Tucson.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Dvorak was assigned to the A last year but he never actually played a game down there. Who knows if he even left town or if it was simply a paper transaction all along. IIRC there were some injuries that may have prevented the coaching staff from actually sending CD to Tucson.

He was in Tucson at least two times and had to travel back and forth. He did have quite a few pratices with the Roadrunners as well. Those were Tippett brainfarts, definitely not paper transactions.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think it's pretty simple. Either Strome went down to the A, or he rode the pine here. That he didn't go straight to Tucson is problematic, but I'm willing to give Tocchet and Chayka the benefit of the doubt that they wanted to see if Strome was going to produce. And we don't have the full story, so our frustration with how it played out doesn't have a really solid basis.

I definitely prefer seeing Strome in the A after two games to reading complaints about Tocchet scratching him game after game like Tippett used to with our younger players before the rebuild.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Kind of weird how this played out but we all know Strome needs to be on a top 6 role not a checking line player. I will pay more attention to Tuscon now. Want to see Strome is playing 1st line minutes and leading the power play. This is a MAJOR test for Strome to prove he is a future NHLER. He needs to lead the Road runners and earn a call up. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: CC96, RABBIT and rt

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it's pretty simple. Either Strome went down to the A, or he rode the pine here. That he didn't go straight to Tucson is problematic, but I'm willing to give Tocchet and Chayka the benefit of the doubt that they wanted to see if Strome was going to produce. And we don't have the full story, so our frustration with how it played out doesn't have a really solid basis.

I definitely prefer seeing Strome in the A after two games than reading complaints about Tocchet scratching him game after game like Tippett used to with our younger players before the rebuild.

Strome played as well as most forwards the first two games but that is no saying much. I think what did Strome in was his pathetic FO % and getting thrown out of the circle so often.

Reactions: CC96 and rt

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
He is Chad Kilger 2.0. Both drafted 3rd overall. He will have a similar career trajectory, watch.

Wonder whether the decision to draft him in front of Marner was Maloney's or Tippets, but guessing the formers since the franchise had a glaring need to address the center position .

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I definitely prefer seeing Strome in the A after two games to reading complaints about Tocchet scratching him game after game like Tippett used to with our younger players before the rebuild.

Such as?

Lucas Lessio in the 2014-15 season? Miele and Rundblad?

The problem with your argument is that we never had players who were talented enough to stick in the NHL long term. If Rundblad's/Miele's/Lessio's careers took off, then you have an argument. So you are complaining about players who really wouldn't be considered impact players that the old coach "allegedly" scratched game after game for his own amusement. The reason is because they were fringe players who got a small cup of coffee and then were sent back down. The only one of the multiple players that we have brought up and sent down where you have a legitimate argument for is Turris, and half of that was probably due to his attitude. I don't see Strome making it clear how unhappy he is with getting sent down. Turris made it clear right from the start of the 09-10 season that he wasn't happy with that.

Look, we are all frustrated b/c for the first time since Turris, we have a player with skill whom we want to be up here. Going down to the A is fine for helping his development. But let's separate this idea that the previous regime didn't do exactly what Tocchet is doing - neither coach is leaving someone up in the NHL to only sit him for personal enjoyment.

He has some things to work on, and this gives him the best chance to do so.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The problem with your argument is that we never had players who were talented enough to stick in the NHL long term. If Rundblad's/Miele's/Lessio's careers took off, then you have an argument. So you are complaining about players who really wouldn't be considered impact players that the old coach "allegedly" scratched game after game for his own amusement.

What are you talking about? I did not once mention Rundblad or Miele or Lessio. Maybe re-read what I wrote rather than building a straw man.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What are you talking about? I did not once mention Rundblad or Miele or Lessio. Maybe re-read what I wrote rather than building a straw man.

I read what you wrote - you are happy that apparently Strome is now in the A instead of just hanging out and being healthy scratched as he would have been under the old regime. Except the only person that had that much talent yet was shown the press box over the entire span of Tippett's time here was Turris. So, you are creating a false narrative about how our previous coach did things vs what our current coach is doing.

One of the items that you mentioned is that you are willing to give Tocchet the benefit of the doubt - would you be willing to do the same thing if Tippett was still our coach and did the same thing?

All that I am doing is separating fact from fiction. You stated that you are happy that Tocchet put him in the A instead of healthy scratching him, yet you have no proof that the previous regime consistently healthy scratched players of an equivalent caliber to Strome, either. Please don't pit this into a "this coach did everything wrong" vs "this coach is doing everything right," as that is the direction that this is trending.

Last edited:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I'm surprised this is such a big deal. We all knew he needed time in the A. He will be better for it. Now let's enjoy another loss tonight in harmony.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
One of the items that you mentioned is that you are willing to give Tocchet the benefit of the doubt - would you be willing to do the same thing if Tippett was still our coach and did the same thing?

Yes. Because Strome is not NHL-ready yet. He belongs in the AHL. I personally don't think he should have gotten the two games he did get this season. I think you may have me confused with someone who is anti-Tippett.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I don't see this as a negative. Time in Tucson playing first line minutes can only help his development. If he was the 33rd player in 2015 draft no one would have issue with this move.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The RoadRunner fans will be thrilled with this move. I'm sure lots of Coyotes fans will make the trip just to see Strome play.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He’s not ready. He was a non factor in the first 2 games while in the ice.

Maybe he’s a bust. Maybe not. Time will tell.

Like the majority of the team. I don't have a problem of Strome going to the A, but I will have a problem if Cousins and Rinaldo play regular minutes and Strome sits in the A. Strome will not be a bust, mark my words.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Like the majority of the team. I don't have a problem of Strome going to the A, but I will have a problem if Cousins and Rinaldo play regular minutes and Strome sits in the A. Strome will not be a bust, mark my words.

The thing about Rinaldo and Kempe is that they can be the healthy scratches with nobody batting an eyelash. And I would hope Strome is not going to "sit" in the AHL... ;)

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Wait a second. Am I reading this right? Tucson's first game was October 7th. Their 2nd game is 7 days later on October 14th and their 3rd game isn't until 7 days later on October 21st? What the f***?!?!? I have to be reading that wrong. Right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad