Signing(s): Kemba Walker with the Celtics (4 years, $141 million)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
This is not a bad outcome for the Hornets. They need to blow it all up and build it the right way.

Going 37-45 every year brings you nowhere in the NBA.

They have basically been blowing it up and trying to rebuild their entire existence.

Finally they had a franchise cornerstone in Kemba, but completely fumbled the process of surrounding him with talent. Now they lost him and have a bunch of bloated / garbage contracts on their books. No blue chip prospects either.

Reactions: HisIceness

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
It’s about the best move they could make in the current situation they are in. I love Kemba and I love the signing, I just don’t love what it does to the cap and the availability that they will have to bring in more help.

They are probably just going to have to play this season out and look to add next year. For the time being I would be totally fine with signing Kevon Looney.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
downgrade from Kyrie

Hornets..... ouch. Screwed this one up big time.

It's a big upgrade. Pretty even level players but without the enormous baggage, Kemba is known as a great team guy.

Last edited:

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Said this on the Canes board but bears repeating, Jordan is a joke of an owner. But hey as long as his fanboys win the "GOAT" arguments on TV and social media, and keep buying his overpriced merchandise that's all that matters.

Wish Kemba Walker the best, but f*** rooting for the Celtics

Reactions: Voight

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
They have basically been blowing it up and trying to rebuild their entire existence.

Finally they had a franchise cornerstone in Kemba, but completely fumbled the process of surrounding him with talent. Now they lost him and have a bunch of bloated / garbage contracts on their books. No blue chip prospects either.
I mean they had Dwight Howard and Nic Batum in 17/18. Howard was actually a great fit there, recording 53 double doubles....there was no excuse for them missing the playoffs that year other then coaching staff inexplicably playing MKG over Jeremy Lamb.
They were good enough to make the playoffs this last season too. Idk what's up with them but a quite frustrating team to watch.

I think Boston should have focused on Rozier. But after losing 2 star names in Horford and Irving, guess this made as much sense as anything.

Reactions: Voight

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Said this on the Canes board but bears repeating, Jordan is a joke of an owner. But hey as long as his fanboys win the "GOAT" arguments on TV and social media, and keep buying his overpriced merchandise that's all that matters.

Wish Kemba Walker the best, but **** rooting for the Celtics

Michael on the basketball court is the undisputed GOAT, his front office dealings are terrible.
I'm an MJ fan but he sucks as an owner.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Don’t see them not being the worst team in the league next year

Nah Suns and/or Knicks will find a way to lose more games.

Hornets will no doubt suck, but they'll win enough to push themselves out of a top-3 pick. At least the tickets will be cheap so I could probably buy a $15 upper level ticket but then upgrade myself to the lower level

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It's good for both sides. Kemba was a fool for even considering staying given how much he's given that organization and how little he's gotten back. Now the Hornets will be forced to build from the ground up.

Until Jordan throws money at more unathletic white big men, that is.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
It's good for both sides. Kemba was a fool for even considering staying given how much he's given that organization and how little he's gotten back. Now the Hornets will be forced to build from the ground up.

Until Jordan throws money at more unathletic white big men, that is.

He will just sign a bunch of former UNC guys in an attempt to please a dwindling fan base.

But again, people will still eat up his merchandise so his pockets will remain full.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

Same story with Anthony Davis and New Orleans until he finally got out of there.

Charlotte honestly made the right move here. They have already demonstrated how they had no idea to build around him. Do you think that was about to change after offering and signing him to a super max? Where they screwed up obviously was not opting to trade him either at the deadline or before this past season.

As for Boston, meh...lateral move at best but they had no other choice.

Irving didn't work out and bailed. Heyward is still a question mark in year 2 of his recovery while Horford fled town. Unless Tatum and Brown step it up, nothing in changing.

Reactions: Winger98

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's a big upgrade. Pretty even level players but without the enormous baggage, Kemba is known as a great team guy.

Kyrie is a better player. Kemba is very good, but not as good as him.

Michael on the basketball court is the undisputed GOAT, his front office dealings are terrible.
I'm an MJ fan but he sucks as an owner.

Lets not forget how bad it was when he was President/GM of the Wizards. The infamous Kwame Brown era.

Gretzky in a similar fashion wasn't a very good coach either, but at least he screwed off and didn't try management except for the 2002 and 2006 Olympics.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Probably a better fit for the Celtics both on and off the court than Kyrie but I can't say he's a better player. I have to see what they do to fill out the roster and if they can maybe swing a sign and trade before judging this move because right now they basically swapped out Kyrie, Horford, Rozier, Morris, and Baynes for Kemba.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Just saw this on Sportsnet. The stats for Walker and Irving over their last 300 NBA games are almost identical:

Points Per Game - Walker ( 23.3 ) Irving ( 23.4 )
Assists Per Game - Walker ( 5.6 ) Irving ( 5.6 )
Steals Per Game - Walker ( 1.2 ) Irving ( 1.3 )

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->