Kelly Gaurd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Will probably get a few pro-tryouts... Personally I don't think he's all that great, solid most definitely but not outstanding. Collapsed in the Mem Cup last year, there was talk about Kelowna trying to acquire a better goalie such as Harding, obviously that didn't happen. He takes alot of criticism that the reason he does so well is the team in front of him. But as a said, decent goalie, just nothing amazing. Holds the WHL shutout record too.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
he attended the Ducks training camp last year on tryout, did alright, was outshone by Adam Russo (another goalie on tryout)
I think there would be a place for him in Anaheim's organization if he was interested, I don't know if how much NHL potential he has, but there would be some room in Cincy in a year or so

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
One big plus for Guard is the way he seems to respond to coaching. He was fairly shaky at the beginning of last season for Kelowna, and had a tendency to go down way too often. He got much more disciplined as the season went on, and improved as much as I've ever seen a goalie improve in one year. Either he's a very quick learner, Darren Jensen's a fantastic teacher, or a little of both.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Sometimes guys like this just get overlooked. He did some things that scouts didn't like (habits in goal I mean) he'll probably get a pro contract from someone and start in the ECHL.

Avery4Byng*

Reign Nateo said:
Sometimes guys like this just get overlooked. He did some things that scouts didn't like (habits in goal I mean) he'll probably get a pro contract from someone and start in the ECHL.

Yeah that sounds accurate. I dont think Guard has faced more then 22 shots in a game the last 2 years. I would love to see him face 50 shots one game and see how he does.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Puckz said:
Will probably get a few pro-tryouts... Personally I don't think he's all that great, solid most definitely but not outstanding. Collapsed in the Mem Cup last year, there was talk about Kelowna trying to acquire a better goalie such as Harding, obviously that didn't happen. He takes alot of criticism that the reason he does so well is the team in front of him. But as a said, decent goalie, just nothing amazing. Holds the WHL shutout record too.

Do you feel there might be a slight bias there ..seeing you are from Kamloops ..

I think it is all abut timing .... Gaurd was overlooked in the draft and has been a late developer.. at the entry draft teams usually like to draft the younger kids and Guard will probably just get signed now to a pro tryout ... No need to waste a draft pick on him NOW..

Kelowna is guaranteed to be in the Memorial Cup again and his performance will be closely watched and his future could depend on his success or failure ...

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Do you feel there might be a slight bias there ..seeing you are from Kamloops ..

I think it is all abut timing .... Gaurd was overlooked in the draft and has been a late developer.. at the entry draft teams usually like to draft the younger kids and Guard will probably just get signed now to a pro tryout ... No need to waste a draft pick on him NOW..

Kelowna is guaranteed to be in the Memorial Cup again and his performance will be closely watched and his future could depend on his success or failure ...

Nah, I don't believe there's any bias whatsoever... I recently just moved to Kamloops, for other reasons from the Interior, was a huge Rockets fan, needless to say I haven't attended many Blazers games, unless they were playin the Rockets... Know a couple guys on the team (Rockets), hope they improve this year, was a little disappointed to say the least at Guard's performance in the Mem Cup, watched it on TV, was expecting more. Under the pressure I believe he crumbled, he didn't play at that elite level that a team needs a goalie to perform at in those games... Once again, he has another shot, one year older, more experience, hopefully he redeems himself but personally I am far from expecting him to shine... and I'm sure alot of people don't have the utmost confidence in him or else there wouldn't have been all the rumours about needing a starting goaltender such as Harding.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
He tried out with the Ducks last summer. Russo did better, but he may get more attention. I could see him in Cincy next year, or the year after. Having Francois Allaire as a goalie coach for a bit in training camp will definetely help him.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
Guard is the Rodney Dangerfield of junior hockey goalies...he was a late bloomer and he plays on a great defensive team...we'll se how he looks at the end of his junior career...a lot of people used to pin Marty Brodeur's success on the fact that played on a Devils team that gave up few good scoring opportunities...if Guard is really good, it will become apparent in the next year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad