Speculation: Kekalainen fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
After kekalainen mortgaged the jackets future at the deadline and went all in for a cup, if they miss the playoffs, is Kekalainen’s job at risk?

They will be awful next season when Panarin, Bobrovsky, Duchene etc all walk and they have no big prospects or draft picks coming up either (no first or second in next two drafts).

I do not know if he was on the hot seat to get them into the playoffs? Or did he just decide to go all in himself and possibly fail miserably?

Just curious what others think about this. If they miss the playoffs this will look awful, being the biggest buyer at the deadline... had that ever even happened?

Would not be fair to a new GM though, he had nothing to build on now either. Would be a very tough feat.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
It would seem weird to me to blame the GM. Panarin and Bob are more than likely leaving. Those two are their chance to go deep. He didn’t do a whole lot to mortgage their future in those trades either.

I would be blaming the coach who couldn’t get a great roster together

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He should be, and to be fair, that position would be highly coveted. You'd have so much space to put your mark on that team right out of the gate, and they have some interesting prospects and younger pieces that to me a reno job like Columbus is more attractive than say what Fenton inherited in Minnesota.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It would seem weird to me to blame the GM. Panarin and Bob are more than likely leaving. Those two are their chance to go deep. He didn’t do a whole lot to mortgage their future in those trades either.

I would be blaming the coach who couldn’t get a great roster together
He kept both of those players who are beyond unlikely to re-sign, and he traded for Duchene and Dzingel. He gave up a ton of potential return for the long shot dream of a team barely in the playoffs miraculously winning a cup.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I’d assume ownership gave their blessing on this insane gamble but maybe not?

He probably had to do a major selling job to ownership. I wonder if it went along the lines of

"I will put my job on it I'm so confident this will work"

Pure speculation and guessing on my part of course

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
After kekalainen mortgaged the jackets future at the deadline and went all in for a cup, if they miss the playoffs, is Kekalainen’s job at risk?

They will be awful next season when Panarin, Bobrovsky, Duchene etc all walk and they have no big prospects or draft picks coming up either (no first or second in next two drafts).

I do not know if he was on the hot seat to get them into the playoffs? Or did he just decide to go all in himself and possibly fail miserably?

Just curious what others think about this. If they miss the playoffs this will look awful, being the biggest buyer at the deadline... had that ever even happened?

Would not be fair to a new GM though, he had nothing to build on now either. Would be a very tough feat.

Just wanted to point out that if Duchene walks they have their 2020 draft pick, but yes pretty awful gamble they took. Added two UFAs when he already had possibly the 2 biggest UFAs this offseason. Essentially he didn’t only mortagage the future by acquiring Duchene and Dzingle but also didn’t get anything back for Panarin and Bobrovsky. Very much an all in when his team didn’t even hold a playoff spot. They are still in it though but Panarin seems to have mailed it in

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011

He provided that team with every opportunity by providing high end elite players and mentally telling them they were going for it... what else can he do? Players did step up... he’s drafted well and hasn’t mortgaged the future. He has two bums who won’t sign....

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
so long as John Davidson is there, Jarmo is safe and sound.
would have to be a double hit

I wouldn't fire him tbh

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
He probably had to do a major selling job to ownership. I wonder if it went along the lines of

"I will put my job on it I'm so confident this will work"

Pure speculation and guessing on my part of course
I had actually speculated the opposite, more or less. Kekalainen knew his situation wasn't good, but ownership wanted to go for it anyways and maybe win their first playoff series before their 20th anniversary comes up.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
He kept both of those players who are beyond unlikely to re-sign, and he traded for Duchene and Dzingel. He gave up a ton of potential return for the long shot dream of a team barely in the playoffs miraculously winning a cup.
Hindsight is 20/20, yes. This is the reason why we are fans. Owners take risks to make themselves better off. Some don’t always pan out. Generally speaking, we are more critical of the ones that don’t pan out. Our armchair analyst or armchair coaching wouldn’t have been any better.

Two of the most important assets CBJ has (best F and a great goalie) aren’t coming back and there really aren’t many answers they have internally or externally to fill without making moves. Would trading them at the deadline make them better off next year or making moves to compete this year? The answer, disregarding something crazy happening in a potential Panarin + Bon trade, is the first one I said.

I follow the flyers and on the board we’ve had a saying that encompasses what our team has been doing for a bit... “2 years away from 2 years” meaning in 2 years, we will be 2 years from being competitive for the cup. That’s they type on mantra you just said. For fans... it’s incredibly frustrating.

Kekaleinen, sorry if I misspelled, made the correct moves regarding where the team was. The only reason one could disagree with it is due to where they aren’t presently. There’s really no other argument and that was present at the time of the trade. A move he made just didn’t work out. Is it due to then hughly regarding Dzingle and Duchene? Are they completely overrated? I don’t know the answer to either. However, it would be very “armchair analyst”-like to blame the GM for this. He got 2 great assets for a playoff push without giving up really any part of his lineup besides Duclair. The rest were a 1st, top prospect who isn’t NHL ready for likely the next year or 2, a couple 2nds, and a Cond. first. That got them a 1B C and a 2nd Line winger or a good M6 option. Is it too much? Maybe, but it was the right move.

This is just my opinion. The coach is responsible for acclimating them and building a winning system. I think this falls on Torts.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
If the Jackets miss the playoffs, I think Torts is to blame. The GM brought in solid players that should have put them over the top.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
People keep saying he mortgaged the future. That is not true. The Jackets still have their top two prospects and fairly deep system, and their active roster is very young. Stop saying that!

That being said, yeah, Jarmo should get fired if the team misses the playoffs and/or if the UFAs all walk. I find the second scenario unlikely. Torts should have been fired after they lost to Edmonton a few weeks ago.

Reactions: Monk and Viqsi

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If the Jackets miss the playoffs, I think Torts is to blame. The GM brought in solid players that should have put them over the top.

Jackets up 3-2 right now over Habs. I think the GM went all in knowing he’s losing two top guys in Panarin and Goalie Bob. He shouldn’t be fired. He’s done a good job.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, do you think they'd have been happier if he had stayed put, done nothing and lost both Panarin and Bob?

He made his team better, it's really not his fault the players started playing like garbage. Apart from not firing Tortorella, I guess. But it's tough to do so this late in a season.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

If Duchene walks, they keep their 1st in 2020.

He should not be fired for not standing on the sidewalk and look at the parade go by.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
CBJ is in the best shape it has ever been with him at the helm. Is this really the right direction to go?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Bob being middling this year is really hampering them. People are evaluating CBJ like they're still getting elite goaltending.

EDIT: for perspective, no current playoff team is getting .910 from their starter other than Calgary, and they're twice the offensive team the Jackets are.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I don't understand how anyone can look at the whole picture and actually think he hasn't done anything but wonders with his time in CBJ.

The franchise hasn't had a single post season series victory in its entire existence. Two of the best players it's seen in that time both made it clear they weren't coming back next year. Instead of trading them when their value was lowest they made a push for it.

But yeah, fire him. Would love to see him in Edmonton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad