Keith Yandle

hockeytown5

Aug 19, 2005
Toronto
I admit that I've had my doubts about his defense at the pro level but wow has this guy caught on. Last night, he was 2nd in icetime for the Coyotes, played physical and showed the razzle dazzle on offense that he's known for. To be trusted by Gretzky to log that much icetime on a pretty deep blueline speaks volumes imo about his NHL readiness. Does anyone else think that he can turn out to be the 2nd best defenseman from the 2005 draft? I don't see anyone other than Jack Johnson having the gamebreaking abilities that this guy does...granted his defense keeps improving as much as it has in the past year.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I admit that I've had my doubts about his defense at the pro level but wow has this guy caught on. Last night, he was 2nd in icetime for the Coyotes, played physical and showed the razzle dazzle on offense that he's known for. To be trusted by Gretzky to log that much icetime on a pretty deep blueline speaks volumes imo about his NHL readiness. Does anyone else think that he can turn out to be the 2nd best defenseman from the 2005 draft? I don't see anyone other than Jack Johnson having the gamebreaking abilities that this guy does...granted his defense keeps improving as much as it has in the past year.

I don't know about second best in that draft, with guys like Staal, Bourdon, Parent...even Brian Lee, Kris Letang, Vlasic. It's really too early to tell, but I did give him some props for his game last night. He looks to be a good one.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't know about second best in that draft, with guys like Staal, Bourdon, Parent...even Brian Lee, Kris Letang, Vlasic. It's really too early to tell, but I did give him some props for his game last night. He looks to be a good one.

In terms of Offense..I think Yandle has as much potential as anyone in his draft year..of cousre time always will tell.he had some really nice goals in the memorial cup last year from the highlights I saw. :handclap:
edit: Niskanen could be another one to also emerge from that year.. great start this year.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002

He did say gamebreaker which is slightly different from "best". Bourdon and Parent are not so known for their offensive ability. Yandle's offensive instincts are rare and his defense is surprisingly not a weakness. Enough that his plus/minus is actually even despite playing over 20 minutes vs Detroit (9-2) and Nashville (4-1). What surprises me is how quickly he looks at home on the bigger stage.

He's not the only one to impress though, Vlasic and Staal have really come on too. 2005 could be a banner year for defensemen.

NashisCash

Jan 25, 2006
Peterboreough
From what I saw the other night he has a tremendous amount of offensive potential. If he develops to his full potential I would say he could be a 60-70 pt defenseman, who plays at least a decent defensive game. He's very smart out on the ice though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he developed into a good defensive player as well.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
He did say gamebreaker which is slightly different from "best". Bourdon and Parent are not so known for their offensive ability. Yandle's offensive instincts are rare and his defense is surprisingly not a weakness. Enough that his plus/minus is actually even despite playing over 20 minutes vs Detroit (9-2) and Nashville (4-1). What surprises me is how quickly he looks at home on the bigger stage.

He's not the only one to impress though, Vlasic and Staal have really come on too. 2005 could be a banner year for defensemen.

marc staal hasn't played in the nhl yet. you are probably thinking about jordan staal he is a forward and was drafted in 06.

Transported Upstater

Bourdon has plenty of offensive ability. He just needs to be sent down to juniors right now.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
marc staal: I was referring to the big development in his offensive ability last year when I said he's made an impression. Jordan would make less sense :)

luc bourdon: may well have undeveloped offensive ability but his ex-teammate yandle is clearly ahead of him right now in the gamebreaking category.

It needs to be remembered keith yandle is one year older than most of them too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad