Confirmed with Link: Keith Yandle Signs One Year Deal With Flyers ($900K W/ NTC)

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
First i was a bit overwhelmed. Cause i havent any idea about what you guys are talking about, never heard about that german sentence! I needed to do a research with google :D.

This german sentence Mann tracht un gott lachten schnitzen was founded by germans settlers who lived in israel in the 1930s.... Iam nearly 40 years and never heard about this before in Germany. But iam not religious at all, so maybe i would´ve heard it otherwise!

"Wenn man den Wolf nennt, so kommt er gerennt" was another adage ive never heard before. Lupus in fabula, or Lupum in sermone was used by the roman people back in the days. They feared the wolf would come if you speak about him.

In Germany we have another adage which is closed to the adage you used: „Mal den Teufel nicht an die Wand.“ - "Don't paint the devil on the wall". I think that is what you are searching for. If you dont want bad things to happen, stop talking about them.

another adage: "Wer Wind sät, wird Sturm ernten".

"Who sows the wind will reap storm"

would be another term you can use ;D

Its very interesting you guys are knowing old German fables and adage more than myself ;D

My favourite from my inlaws, who come from Leer, is "Grün und Blau schmückt die Sau." lol :)

Und Sport ist Mord!

Everything's fine when they're speaking Hochdeutsch. I understand, answer, and I'm fully in the conversation (my German is probably intermediate) but once they switch to Plattdütsch, I'm out haha. I gotta say, though, there are some similarities to French (my mother tongue), and obviously Dutch, so I pick up words here and there.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Did you read Zamula’s interview? I don’t think he has a future in philly with that attitude. And can York buy beer?

The one from a while ago? Yeah I read it. If that destroys his future in Philly then this team is trash.

The ability to buy alcohol has no bearing on the ability to play hockey.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I gotta go mow the lawn sorry they don’t let us do that on Sundays in Germany

Are you Walter Sobchak?

giphy.gif

Reactions: GapToothedWonder

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
when 2 of your moves for a franchise that needs positive change are thompson and yandle, you obviously had no legit plan. when you give up over all more value then you bring in during an off season for a team that needs change you strait up suck. i like the ellis move, but for real, look at all the defensemen moved this off season and ellis, as good as he is, at his age doesnt look too good.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Wtf? Lol what kind of stupid ass law is that?
you are not allowed to do anything outside the house if it makes sounds on sundays or public holidays. You arent allowed to use your hoover in your rented apartment. You arent allowed to cut the lawn or cut the hedge.
I buyed a house nearly 1 year ago in a small city. Its very friendly and silent enviroment. But iam not allowed to do anything like i mentioned above from 12:30 - 14:00 cause of noon rest.

Germany can be very boring and frustrating sometimes. But all things have positives and negatives. So it is what it is ;D

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
My favourite from my inlaws, who come from Leer, is "Grün und Blau schmückt die Sau." lol :)

Und Sport ist Mord!

Everything's fine when they're speaking Hochdeutsch. I understand, answer, and I'm fully in the conversation (my German is probably intermediate) but once they switch to Plattdütsch, I'm out haha. I gotta say, though, there are some similarities to French (my mother tongue), and obviously Dutch, so I pick up words here and there.

Its so funny, i really never heard from "Grün und Blau schmückt die Sau", but it should be from near munich i guess?

Sport ist Mord is a very popular thing, for girls and fat men to say ;D

I´am from near Cologne so i can speak a bit "Kölsch". It´s very unique and sometimes far away from the normal grammar and speech. But if i´am speaking to old cologne people i also have a hard time to understand them.

Is this the same in the USA? Do you understand all people around the country if they rly speak their accent?

Reactions: flyersnorth

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
you are not allowed to do anything outside the house if it makes sounds on sundays or public holidays. You arent allowed to use your hoover in your rented apartment. You arent allowed to cut the lawn or cut the hedge.
I buyed a house nearly 1 year ago in a small city. Its very friendly and silent enviroment. But iam not allowed to do anything like i mentioned above from 12:30 - 14:00 cause of noon rest.

Germany can be very boring and frustrating sometimes. But all things have positives and negatives. So it is what it is ;D
I heard it's a dope place to live lol and honestly I'd rather sundays be a day to relax then bust my ass doing yard work myself, it's just crazy that they actually made those laws

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Its so funny, i really never heard from "Grün und Blau schmückt die Sau", but it should be from near munich i guess?

I´am from near Cologne so i can speak a bit "Kölsch". It´s very unique and sometimes far away from the normal grammar and speech. But if i´am speaking to old cologne people i also have a hard time to understand them.

Is this the same in the USA? Do you understand all people around the country if they rly speak their accent?

Dialects are so interesting to me. From what I understand, Plattdütsch is phonetic, right? So if you were to write something in Kölsch, you'd write it how it sounds because there's no set rules?

I'm on the east coast of Canada, and we speak a regional French dialect that is very close to people from Poitou in France. Maybe also some similarities to Picardy (ch'ti) from northern France. It's also a phonetic language.

If I speak "chiac" or "acadien", generally people from Quebec don't understand (or it sounds like we're completely uneducated lol), and neither do people from France. People from France have a hard time with certain Quebec regional dialects (though some of the Quebecers on here would know more about that).

But in a general sense, the dialects in Canada are not nearly as different from each other as they are in a lot of European areas.

It's amazing to hear Canadian, American, Australian, British and New Zealand English all be the same language but sound completely different.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Hardly. I can't imagine my net worth is much higher than yours, I'm too young for that (relatively speaking).

You're telling me a PhD in Economics isn't worth it? :sarcasm:

I'm surprised there isn't a German compound word summarizing the spirit of that quote.

Manntrachtungottlachtenschnitzen

Wenn man den Wolf nennt, so kommt er gerennt ( I think that's right from German tutors 4 years ago) @Ironmanrulez -- correct me if I'm wrong)

You've traveled the world in your professions, Deady! You can do dis mon!

Dont shy away from da bet mon!

I'll defer to a mutual - if you're on board.

@JojoTheWhale what's your favorite below 50, or even 40?

Gonna need somebody to fill me in on what garbage Deady was spewing that lead to this series of messages.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

I spent a year in Paris back in the '80s, and one night I went to a party. There was an American woman there who was from Lousiana and she had a real strong Cajun accent. And I couldn't understand a word she was saying. I could understand French better than I could understand her English.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->