Keith Yandle is the greatest human being of all time.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
A few years ago when the Blackhawks came into town, for some reason the Coyotes let a Chicago White Sox baseball player (AJ Pierzynski) drop the first faceoff puck. This really pissed me off, and I'm sure it pissed a lot of you off too. To make matters worse, he did the faceoff in a Blackhwaks hat. Whoever made that decision in the organization should have been fired and publicly shamed right after.

Recently, on the Spittin' Chiclets podcast, Yandle came on and had a lot of interesting things to say about Phoenix and his time here. In that podcast, he talks about that incident as well. It's a great listen, and the whole episode is interesting as well. Paul Bissonnette even features in a little bit.

The AJ Pierzynski story is right at the 31 minute mark (NSFW Language used)

https://www.podcastone.com/spittin-chiclets?showAllEpisodes=true

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
A few years ago when the Blackhawks came into town, for some reason the Coyotes let a Chicago White Sox baseball player (AJ Pierzynski) drop the first faceoff puck. This really pissed me off, and I'm sure it pissed a lot of you off too. To make matters worse, he did the faceoff in a Blackhwaks hat. Whoever made that decision in the organization should have been fired and publicly shamed right after.

It was a promotion director the Coyotes had hired that year who thought having a White Sox player from spring training drop the puck for the Blackhawks game was a good idea since there were a lot of Chicago fans visiting for the month.

It didn't just **** off fans.... it pissed off several team members.

He was fired about a week later.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

Recently, on the Spittin' Chiclets podcast, Yandle came on and had a lot of interesting things to say about Phoenix and his time here. In that podcast, he talks about that incident as well. It's a great listen, and the whole episode is interesting as well. Paul Bissonnette even features in a little bit.

The AJ Pierzynski story is right at the 31 minute mark (NSFW Language used)

https://www.podcastone.com/spittin-chiclets?showAllEpisodes=true

Was an interesting listen, Yandle didn't give a ton of insight but it did further prove just how poor this team was/is.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
bhahah what, Bryzgalov walked out on the team the game we had Walsh's love Tom Fenton as a back-up???

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I still wish we had signed Yandle for his current contract instead of Goligoski for his, but I'm not sure he was interested in coming here anyway. He'll always be a favorite of mine.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I still wish we had signed Yandle for his current contract instead of Goligoski for his, but I'm not sure he was interested in coming here anyway. He'll always be a favorite of mine.

May have made cutting Doan harder and increased the country club's power. Yandle's comments on Doan possibly not returning were revealing.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Son of a birch tree. That was great, thanks for sharing.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Funny to hear Yands' Boston accent return when talking with fellow Bostonians.

Son of a Birch Tree!!

Love Yands!

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Another interesting thing in that podcast was that the Rangers (and apparently other teams) provide breakfast for the players, and cater to them. The Coyotes breakfast was bagels bought at the store by Shane Doan.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Two most interesting pieces by far:

A) Yandle never worked out until his 2nd year pro.

B) After his rookie NHL season the team forced him to stay in Phoenix over the summer to prevent him from partying too much.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Two most interesting pieces by far:

A) Yandle never worked out until his 2nd year pro.

B) After his rookie NHL season the team forced him to stay in Phoenix over the summer to prevent him from partying too much.

Yandle actually wasn't much of a partier. He would go but he wouldn't drink or do any drugs. He also wouldn't cuss. I know this because when I was in high school he came down to Phoenix with the rest of his baseball team and roomed with friends of mine so I spent time around him.

Edit, might have just been because he was here though. Maybe in Boston things were different.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
The stay in PHX and don't party thing sounded like a joke to me. Immediately dropping Seguin's name and just the tone of it didn't sound serious at all. I doubt the NHLPA would stand for restrictions on non-dangerous (skydiving, etc) activities from June-August. "You can't go home to see family and friends" sounds absurd. Tikhonov Sr-esque.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The stay in PHX and don't party thing sounded like a joke to me. Immediately dropping Seguin's name and just the tone of it didn't sound serious at all. I doubt the NHLPA would stand for restrictions on non-dangerous (skydiving, etc) activities from June-August. "You can't go home to see family and friends" sounds absurd. Tikhonov Sr-esque.
And as they joked that wouldn't really work well anyway considering AZ is known for it's party scene anyway. Ask Radulov! Speaking of it was interesting hearing Yandle mention him in juniors, he was apparently amazing then.

rt

May 13, 2004

You can't force him but you can strongly recommend whatever you want. And if the partying may not have had a whole lot to do with proximity to bars and number of bars. It may I've been proximity to old friends. They were joking to some degree for sure but there was a definite "stay here, don't go there" suggestion. Maybe the partying piece was more of a joke and it had to do only with bad habits like never working out and/or possibly bad diet or sleeping habits.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I'm now a subscriber to Spittin Chicklets ... Biz referring to Krys Kolanos as 'Special K' saying he was a total egomaniac ... yes, players do look at hot chicks in the stands. .. unnamed PIT goalie got groral between periods at Nassau ... Jack Eichel citing P Kariya stats and Babcock punking an Echl'er ... this is a fun listen.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm now a subscriber to Spittin Chicklets ... Biz referring to Krys Kolanos as 'Special K' saying he was a total egomaniac ... yes, players do look at hot chicks in the stands. .. unnamed PIT goalie got groral between periods at Nassau ... Jack Eichel citing P Kariya stats and Babcock punking an Echl'er ... this is a fun listen.

What other ep was biz on?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad