Sportsnet: Keith Kinkaid Met with Canadiens Today (According to Eric Engels of Sportsnet)

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Was hoping Chicago could snag him for Crawford’s inevitable missed time.

We have 2 really good kids, but I’m not sure they are ready.

The Rochester Rocket

Feb 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I don’t think Kinkaid will be as bad as he was last year but I don’t think he’s as good as the year before making the playoff run. He’s a decent backup that can get hot when he gets a rhythm.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'd still love to buy Kinkaid a beer for saving our 2017-18 season. He's a perfectly acceptable backup and a seemingly good guy for the locker room.

Last year was the first time in his pro career, including the AHL, where he posted a below .900 SV%. The Devils being decimated by injuries must be the main reason that his stats took a hit.

I would love it if Habs sign him as Price's back up.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I challenge anyone to say his name out loud 4 times without messing up.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
I thought the plan was to run Lindgren or McNiven as backup?

Julien said a few days ago in an interview that goaltending was the position to address in free agency. Lindgren is an option but it seems as though the Habs are more so looking to go in the vet backup direction. I’m not sure the team has full confidence Lindgren can handle the load of 30 or so starts and he had a rough go at it when he’s been up in Montreal the last couple years.

Kinkaid would be a cheap, reliable backup. He can pretty easily give 20-30 starts and give his team a chance most nights. Would be a good target for the Habs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gravity

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Surprised he’d be interested in a team with a clear #1 guy.

I don’t know if he’d get a real shot to start anywhere. There are a few openings but more than a few quality goalies hitting the market. He’s a quality backup and that’s the role he probably keeps. Lehner, Smith, Varlamov, Bobrovsky, McElhinney, Mrazek and Talbot could all be available and there aren’t many starting jobs open.

Reactions: Tiger Svoboda

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
He can be a fine backup, ranging from serviceable to quite good at times

He was leaned on too heavily for starts when Schneider was still recovering from surgery

Deployed properly, he can help win some games

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Surprised he’d be interested in a team with a clear #1 guy.

At this point, he might just not want to be the guy left standing in the proverbial game of goalie musical chairs. Not many #1 spots that aren't already spoken for. Bobrovsky, Lehner, Mrazek, and Smith probably have the inside track to those spots.

Anaheim: Gibson|Miller
Arizona: Kuemper|Raanta
Calgary: (UFA)|Rittich
Edmonton: Koskinen|(UFA/Starrett)
Los Angeles: Quick|Campbell
San Jose: Jones|Dell?
Vancouver: Markstrom|Demko?
Vegas: Fleury|Subban

Chicago: Crawford|Delia?
Colorado: Grubauer|(UFA/Francouz)
Dallas: Bishop|Khudobin
Minnesota: Dubnyk|Stalock?
Nashville: Rinne|Saros
St.Louis: Binnington|Allen
Winnipeg: Hellebuyck|Broissoit

Boston: Rask|Halak
Buffalo: Ullmark|Hutton
Detroit: Howard|Bernier
Florida: (UFA)|Reimer?
Montreal: Price|Lindgren?
Ottawa: Nilsson|Anderson
Tampa: Vasilevskiy|Domingue
Toronto: Andersen|(Hutchinson/Sparks)

Carolina: (UFA)|(UFA)
Columbus: (UFA)|Korpisalo
New Jersey: Schneider|Blackwood
NY Islanders: (UFA)|Greiss
NY Rangers: Lundqvist|Georgiev
Philadelphia: Hart|Elliott
Pittsburgh: Murray|DeSmith
Washington: Holtby|Copley

Reactions: qqaz

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

I don't think much of kinkaid. Would rather hand the backup role to Delia and see what he's made of

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Aren't those 2 kids 24 and 25? Seems like they'd be as ready as they'd ever be to be back ups.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Aren't those 2 kids 24 and 25? Seems like they'd be as ready as they'd ever be to be back ups.

Delia looked ready and like the savior, but struggled horribly in a majority of his last half of games in the NHL.

Lankinen was lights out at Worlds for Finland and meh in the A, but sub .900 in 6 games in the ECHL last year.

In Chicago, there is a very real difference between a goalie capable of being a backup and a backup who has a huge chance of playing significant time. You need a 1B.

I hope Delia can find his early form from last year, but if he is Feb/March Delia and is asked to play more than sparingly.. “you’re gonna have a bad time”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad