GDT: Keith Kinkaid and Taylor Hall vs. Carolina Hurricanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Though there was an IR stint in there, Schneider in his last eight has allowed 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 3, 3, 3. That is very ugly and very worrisome. Not a one was a victory as you'd imagine. It's already an awful skid for what is supposed to be an elite guy. If you're a top goalie you knock this **** off after three games. At worst four. Maybe this is just who he is at soon to be 32?
It could be.

As I said early on and I still believe this, I don't think Cory played as bad during this stretch as those stats, but here's what I do think. I don't think he's played better than his current .913 this year, but I think what happened in this stretch was the percentages evening out. I noticed a lot of poor goals on Cory back in October and November, and they happened in games where he played relatively well on paper or where he didn't look bad when you just saw the stats and number of goals allowed. Take for instance that Edmonton game where we lost 3-2 in OT. He allowed 3 goals on 32 shots, but the two regulation goals were bad. Then a game or two later we go into Winnipeg and he allowed 5 goals on 21 shots and got yanked in the 2nd period. Out of the 5 that he allowed that night, I only thought that maybe one he could have had? But he played way better on paper against Edmonton, yet let in two really poor goals. The Arizona game in October? I thought he allowed a couple poor goals in that game, yet he only allowed 3 goals on 37 shots. One game where he looked especially bad was in Ottawa and he left due to injury that time for a week, it was back in October. He looked bad on paper and the eyes that night. He allowed another dead angle goal in that game. He allowed 4 goals on 21 shots and 2 were stoppable goals, and he left the game injured after 2 periods.

The Panthers game in November? We were heavily outplayed and he was the only reason we were in the game. He allowed 3 goals on 35 shots or something, but two of them were poor goals that could have been stopped.

I thought he was great both on paper and on the eyes for most of December. A stray bad goal here or there, but mostly very good. He won 5 in a row and 6 of 7. The one loss was a 2-1 OT loss to piece of shit Montreal.

I think these are the odds evening out, but at this point, I think the toll has been collected, he needs to be better. One bad goal I remember was in the beginning of this stretch in late December. That loss to the Sabres in the game where Hall's goal got overturned for offsides. He allowed a trickler to Jacob Josefson on a breakaway that started the scoring for the Sabres that game. The goal might not have been his fault, but I remember thinking it was stoppable. Went right through his arm and dribbled into the net.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
You have a source for this? Because I don't recall that being anything more than speculation by people on this board looking for an excuse for Cory's garbage performances.

I doubt there's any media source, but its also not hard not to interpolate that same possibility.....because he didn't look very Cory like right up to that injury outage.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Potato brain. Also way too much Lovejoy in the dying minutes of this game. He should be glued to the bench when we are trying to score.
I don't understand the need for Lovejoy in the final minutes.

I know we have to ''Keep the rotation going'' or whatever, but no need for that much of him down the stretch. We need to score to tie the game and I just don't see Lovejoy (or Greene at this point) doing much to tie the game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You have a source for this? Because I don't recall that being anything more than speculation by people on this board looking for an excuse for Cory's garbage performances.
Hynes hinted that Cory had something ''Nagging'' going on back in December and would have played both games in the back to back set (remember he played the Blue Jackets one night, then Kinkaid played the Rangers the next night and we got blown out) and Hynes said something was nagging him. We don't know if it was the same thing that kept him out the last month+, but I distinctly remember Hynes saying something to this effect and it being talked about on here.

In January he seemed to have a flu or some kind, which caused him to lose weight and he dressed as a backup for a game or two in between a couple games that he sat out and Appleby was the backup.

He also accidentally got high sticked by Brooks Orpik in that game while sitting on the bench. He probably needed stitches.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I doubt there's any media source, but its also not hard not to interpolate that same possibility.....because he didn't look very Cory like right up to that injury outage.

When he was on the IR his injury was reported as groin/hip. The hip was what he had surgery for last year. The groin was a new injury but it's possible his hip was bugging him again and causing his dip in performance.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think they must go back with him, him being Cory.

One was a deflection had low chance on, kind of like tonights game. The short side shoulder softie was a killer, but you gotta go back to your #1. Watching the game up until that point, it looked like Cory was in control. Not to say Kinkaid had a bad game today either, Keith was also fine,...........its just, i don't think you can sit your slated starter regularly and go to #2 guy. The team must keep the confidence up for Cory for us to have any chance at going anywhere.

Also, I think Cory is too young to say he's lost his edge :) ... (not you specifically, just the general vibe we've seen here)
Usually 30 (which is the age Cory was when he had his first poor season) is young for a goalie to fall off, at least one who had been elite. Even Price is having a shitful season this year. Most of other goalies on their roster have been better (in limited action) than him, including frickin Antti Niemi or whatever's left of him. :laugh:

Rask dropped off in recent years and he's only 30, but he hasn't been really bad. Varlamov (he's an injury case at this point) is 29 and dropped off the last couple years, but he also had poor seasons early in his career as well, which Cory hadn't.

Lehtonen seemed to drop off around 30, but is playing solid as a Hitchcock backup this year. Even Cam Ward has been a serial sub .910 goalie since the last lockout and he was only 28 then, but the thing with Cam Ward was that he was a BAD goaltender from 2005-2008. Outside of his random 20 game Conn Smythe. None of these goalies other than Rask (who hasn't dropped off significantly like these other names have) were as good as Schneider was before their declines at a young age.

One very interesting case is Pekka Rinne. He's had 2 or 3 poor seasons since the last lockout and since turning 30. He had a stretch of 3 poor seasons in 4 years, with a really good year in that one out of the 4 years. Then he was solid last year and now he's having possibly the best season of his career and he's 35. This is the first time Rinne has had consecutive good seasons since 2010-2011 and 2011-2012.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
When he was on the IR his injury was reported as groin/hip. The hip was what he had surgery for last year. The groin was a new injury but it's possible his hip was bugging him again and causing his dip in performance.

Ah, thanks, didn't connect the dots with the surgery also. So yeah, I guess we can assume there's some influences there....

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Usually 30 (which is the age Cory was when he had his first poor season) is young for a goalie to fall off, at least one who had been elite. Even Price is having a ****ful season this year. Most of other goalies on their roster have been better (in limited action) than him, including frickin Antti Niemi or whatever's left of him. :laugh:

Rask dropped off in recent years and he's only 30, but he hasn't been really bad. Varlamov (he's an injury case at this point) is 29 and dropped off the last couple years, but he also had poor seasons early in his career as well, which Cory hadn't.

Lehtonen seemed to drop off around 30, but is playing solid as a Hitchcock backup this year. Even Cam Ward has been a serial sub .910 goalie since the last lockout and he was only 28 then, but the thing with Cam Ward was that he was a BAD goaltender from 2005-2008. Outside of his random 20 game Conn Smythe. None of these goalies other than Rask (who hasn't dropped off significantly like these other names have) were as good as Schneider was before their declines at a young age.

One very interesting case is Pekka Rinne. He's had 2 or 3 poor seasons since the last lockout and since turning 30. He had a stretch of 3 poor seasons in 4 years, with a really good year in that one out of the 4 years. Then he was solid last year and now he's having possibly the best season of his career and he's 35. This is the first time Rinne has had consecutive good seasons since 2010-2011 and 2011-2012.

Lehtonen probably got back to being hamburglar........(if you know the reference to that one) ...

Agreed, you've made some reasonable cases here, but I'd like to see Cory finish out this season before we jump to any Cory's "peak" level paradise has reached its end.

We'll find out shortly anyway what this will be.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lehtonen probably got back to being hamburglar........(if you know the reference to that one) ...

Agreed, you've made some reasonable cases here, but I'd like to see Cory finish out this season before we jump to any Cory's "peak" level paradise has reached its end.

We'll find out shortly anyway what this will be.
We might not have enough games left to get a great read on Cory this season, but he looked a bit better than last year.

I don’t get the Lehtonen/Hamburglar reference haha.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We need need score goals. Offense is not good enough right now
We seem to have a stupid stretch every year where we go several games without an even strength goal, and we seem to be in one of those right now. Even though Bratt’s goal was technically even strength.

We even won 3 games in a row (I think) in 15-16 while scoring only on the power play and maybe a shorthanded goal.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Mueller surely can get a game in, what is their issue with him............?

They don't seem to want to move Butcher or any other LHD to the right side, which would mean one of Greene, Moore, or Butcher coming out for him. Greene isn't coming out. Given the offense (except Hall) has sucked for the last 6 games taking Butcher out probably won't help it. Moore could probably come out, but are we really any better with Mueller over Moore?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Though there was an IR stint in there, Schneider in his last eight has allowed 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 3, 3, 3. That is very ugly and very worrisome. Not a one was a victory as you'd imagine. It's already an awful skid for what is supposed to be an elite guy. If you're a top goalie you knock this **** off after three games. At worst four. Maybe this is just who he is at soon to be 32?

Cory's losing streak started with that bullshit Buffalo game, which incidently seemed to start the drop for the whole team. Before that he gave up 2 or less in 12 of his previous 19 starts. So it's hard to figure out which one is the real Cory.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
This team makes me either love them to death or pull my hair...It's one or the other once every couple of games.

I long for consistency. Was a long time ago we had a team we could count on to come through when needed the most. I just want to get into the playoffs again....

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
I think both goalies were playing with "tweaks" the game or 2 before they got injured.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Cory's losing streak started with that bull**** Buffalo game, which incidently seemed to start the drop for the whole team. Before that he gave up 2 or less in 12 of his previous 19 starts. So it's hard to figure out which one is the real Cory.
As a whole that is the real cory. It's the definition of an average goalie. Some good weeks, some not so good weeks. If you just take him for what he is, he's fine. If you have the false impression that he's elite, then you'll be disappointed with his overall performance.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
As a whole that is the real cory. It's the definition of an average goalie. Some good weeks, some not so good weeks. If you just take him for what he is, he's fine. If you have the false impression that he's elite, then you'll be disappointed with his overall performance.

Yeah it's entirely possible this just is what he is from now on. Although I'm not going to write him off just yet. You look at a guy like Rask who was similarly a consistent .920 goalie for several years, then dropped to a .915 for two years, and is a .919 this year. Although Rask never really had as bad of a season as Cory had last year.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Alright, let's all take a breath after sleeping it off. On to the next one, get back on track tomorrow at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad