Celebrity Death: Keith Flint (49) The Prodigy frontman

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
The Prodigy star Keith Flint has died aged 49.

Instantly recognisable for his fluorescent spiked hair, the musician sang lead vocals on both the band's number one singles, Breathe and Firestarter.

The musician was found dead at his home in Dunmow, Essex, on Monday morning.

Police said they were "called to concerns for the welfare of a man" just after 08:00 GMT. "Sadly, a 49-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene.

"The death is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner."

Flint had recently returned to the UK from a tour of Australia.

(BBC)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
CNN has a quote the it was suicide

His bandmate Liam Howlett wrote on Instagram that Flint died by suicide.
"The news is true, I can't believe I'm saying this but our brother Keith took his own life over the weekend," Howlett wrote on the group's official Instagram profile. "I'm shell shocked, f****n angry , confused and heart broken," he added.

Sad

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
RIP.

I don't know anything about their personal life but I really dig their music. Saw them live at festivals a couple of times, awesome and powerful shows.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I know this is gotten old, but this is my 2nd favorite Phoenix Suns intro.

(I think I need to take a break.)

RIP Keith. I'm a firestarter! Twisted Firestarter!

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
RIP. I used "Smack My B**** Up" as my intro to NHL 2009 I think it was. Back when you could set your own soundtrack. I wish they'd go back to that instead of playing the crap that they do now.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Loved his work. Only 49 too. Pretty awful. :(
Suicide doesn't discriminate based on age.

Anyway, he'd recently split with his wife of many years, Mayumi Kai, whom he credited with saving him from the self destruction of his own lifestyle and substance abuse in the 90s, and it was observed he'd lapsed into depression since. Also had just listed his home - which he reportedly considered his refuge - for sale, plus he was trying to sell a pub he owned. So it's safe to say the guy's life was falling apart and he just wasn't equipped to handle it.

I wasn't a huge fan, but the wife does have a copy of Fat of the Land and I think another "greatest hits" type compilation as well. Between this and the same day announcement of Luke Perry's death, (oh, damn, tried to look up someone I couldn't remember and just saw King Kong Bundy died yesterday too!) starting to wonder if any of the celebrities of my generation (generation X) will be around to die of old age?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Thanks for some of the most memorable music of the 90s and for being the first musician I was ever outright banned from listening to.

I love that he was the reference that made me laugh the hardest of any Venture Bros. reference throughout the years.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
made a huge contribution in getting electronic music into the mainstream with Fat of the Land.

helped open the doors for others like Aphex Twin, Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Fatboy Slim to break into the mainstream and become big acts.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I remember as a kid trying to figure out what he was saying in Breathe. :laugh:

That video freaked me out as a kid, but the tune was catchy as shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad