Keith Ballard signs with Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW

May 3, 2003
MN
Visit site
I'm not really surprised personally. He needs this more then another season of NCAA hockey. I congratulate him on a fine career here in MN.

Also, it shouldn't be long now until Vanek is a Sabre.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
We over at the Coyotes board think he won't play more than a few games in the AHL (CBA allowing) because fellow Minnesota alumni Jordan Leopold was called up after a small number of games, and Paul Martin did not see the A at all.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Nice signing! I was very suprised when the Yotes got him.

He could be fantastic. Now all the Yotes need is a top four dman who is huge and tough and can move the puck. Too bad every team wants a player like that.

Anyway, GO JETS!...er....Yotes? :banghead:

...plz come home

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
mazmin said:
He could be fantastic. Now all the Yotes need is a top four dman who is huge and tough and can move the puck. Too bad every team wants a player like that.

We're hoping that'll be Matt Spiller. At the very least he is top 6.

DW

May 3, 2003
MN
Visit site
PhoPhan said:
We over at the Coyotes board think he won't play more than a few games in the AHL (CBA allowing) because fellow Minnesota alumni Jordan Leopold was called up after a small number of games, and Paul Martin did not see the A at all.

Both were better defensively then Ballard. With Martin ahead of Leopold and I think Ballard better on the offensive side (atleast at the same time frame as Leopold with the Gophers) of the other two.

D.Legwand

Jun 4, 2004
Minnesota
Ballard was a great aquisition for the Yotes, as far as the minors and him go I am really not sure. I know he can get the job done on offense. It just depends if they want to let him get better on D in the minors or up with the big club.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
PhoPhan said:
We're hoping that'll be Matt Spiller. At the very least he is top 6.

Paul Mara - David Tanabe
Derek Morris - Keith Ballard
Brad Ference - Matt Spiller

Radoslav Suchy, Igor Knyazev, Forster, Bezina..

What a wonderful young defense the Yotes have.. All kinds of ingredients, very nice mix of players.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
DW said:
Both were better defensively then Ballard. With Martin ahead of Leopold and I think Ballard better on the offensive side (atleast at the same time frame as Leopold with the Gophers) of the other two.

On the other hand Calgary and New Jersey are very tough teams to crack. Im sure after playing in the World Championships Ballard will be targeting a top 6 spot on the Coyotes.

What is strange is suddenly having four talented puckmovers in Morris, Mara, Tanabe and Ballard. A year ago when Teppo left all we had was Mara and nothing else.

andimgone

Mar 19, 2004
Modano = Dud said:
Paul Mara - David Tanabe
Derek Morris - Keith Ballard
Brad Ference - Matt Spiller

Radoslav Suchy, Igor Knyazev, Forster, Bezina..

What a wonderful young defense the Yotes have.. All kinds of ingredients, very nice mix of players.

Actually, Cale Hulse would be there instead of Ference.

Main problem with the projected pairings is that the top four defensemen listed are all puck moving d-men. Hopefully Ballard will spend a year in the AHL to work on his defensive play, and the Coyotes will sign a stay-at-home defenseman who can clear the front of the net (or that Callahan or Knyazev steps up... which is doubtful).

And Bezina singed with Geneve Servette, CZE

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
I have the Yotes in a fantasy league and I'm anxious to see Ballard created!

My defense in this league looks like that:

Derek Morris - Tom Poti
Teppo Numminen - Dave Tanabe
Phil Housley - Radoslav Suchy
Cale Hulse

I brought a lot of ex-yote (Numminen, Housley on D, Handzus on offense).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
jc84 said:
Actually, Cale Hulse would be there instead of Ference.

Main problem with the projected pairings is that the top four defensemen listed are all puck moving d-men. Hopefully Ballard will spend a year in the AHL to work on his defensive play, and the Coyotes will sign a stay-at-home defenseman who can clear the front of the net (or that Callahan or Knyazev steps up... which is doubtful).

And Bezina singed with Geneve Servette, CZE

I think we can expect Phoenix to move one of their puck moving defenders (possibly at the draft). It will have to be one of Mara or Tanabe (I would expect the former) unless Phoenix doesn't like Morris's contract demands. Tanabe was absolutely fantastic when he was healthy last year so I can't see them dealing him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
hbk said:
I think we can expect Phoenix to move one of their puck moving defenders (possibly at the draft). It will have to be one of Mara or Tanabe (I would expect the former) unless Phoenix doesn't like Morris's contract demands. Tanabe was absolutely fantastic when he was healthy last year so I can't see them dealing him.

If Phoenix moves Mara it would have to be for one hell of a player/package. He was great last season and is just now coming into his own.

andimgone

Mar 19, 2004
hbk said:

I dunno about that. Since we have three already on the team, it would only make sense to have Ballard play in the AHL. Tanabe (played great), Morris (payed a lot to get him) and Mara (career year) all played well last season, so I really can't see any of them being moved. There's no point in forcing Ballard onto the team when he isn't exactly needed yet, and he could still use some work anyways.

Plus if we do have too many puck movers, it's not a huge problem. Tampa Bay doesn't exactly have a physical defensive core, so they play better positionally, and block a lot of shots. This team could be modeled after the Lightning if our new coach decides to do so. (which would be a treat to watch as well)

This defense wouldn't be so soft if Mara and Hulse would use their size to their advantage, and if someone could tame Ference.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
DW said:

I have to say though that Ballard's defensive side has gotten better this past season. I agree with you that Martin and Leopold are better, but I was impressed with the improvement of Ballard's defensive game. I expect that to continue at the pro level.

Very good signing by the Coyotes.

college hockey

Jun 8, 2004
Maine
Oilers Chick said:
I have to say though that Ballard's defensive side has gotten better this past season. I agree with you that Martin and Leopold are better, but I was impressed with the improvement of Ballard's defensive game. I expect that to continue at the pro level.

Very good signing by the Coyotes.
Agreed a verygood signing. As a College fan it's too bad Ballard left,but as a Maine fan adios :joker: He reminds me alot of Leopold and Martin which can only mean good things for him i'd say he's more of a Leopold D man.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Ballard may not be as good defensivly as the others but his physical play is better. May suit him in the pros to have a bit of a mean streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->