Keeper league with salary cap do you keep McDavid???

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I traded Auston Matthews leading up to my league's entry draft and I regret the return I got (I was looking ahead at his impending new contract which I won't be able to accommodate under our cap). I received a 2018 1st (Drafted Oliver Wahlstrom 5th OA), 2018 2nd (Drafted Dominik Bokk 15th OA) and a 2019 3rd - that was the available market for his next contract perceived to be worth 10+ mil AAV by fellow GMs in my pool. Drafting 4th and 5th OA and getting both Tkachuk and Wahlstrom is huge for my prospect pool but comparatively Matthews to what Wahlstrom, Bokk and a 2019 3rd could be is less of a difference than what McDavid is. McDavid may not be the leading producer in your pool depending on the scoring categories but he's at least in the top 20.

The issue is that if you're struggling with his cap hit, so will others. That's going to affect your return.

For your cap do you use AAV or that year's salary number - 12.5 mil AAV or the 15 mil he's owed in salary this year? This would drop McDavid's trade value this year vs a potential trade next year after the front loaded term is paid.

Edit:
I'd float the idea of a trade and see what GMs are prepared to offer - that might set the table for better advice with specifics. But, you're going to be unquestionably giving up the best player in the trade. You're going to need to be receiving a haul of high end picks or players to offset that loss.

Last edited:

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Well said by @Brockon. I think you should pursue a trade as him name will garner a lot of interest. In many cases, any one wanting to take him will also have to move out salary. If you can get some good young NHLers at smaller salaries for him it might be better.

I always say, it doesn’t hurt to at least see what the market offers. You can always say NO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad