Keep the Vegas Pick?

Do you keep the pick?

• Total voters

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
As much as I would like DET to keep the pick and rebuild by the draft, is there an argument to be made that if a great deal is there, say AA + Vegas 1st or Nyqvist + Vegas 1st to get a young D, do you make it?

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
The better question is would there be a young top 4 defenseman available for that package ?

My guess is we end up keeping the vegas pick and hope for the best, only way I see kenny trading a draft pick is to move up in the draft.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Trade Nyquist and/or Athansiou, but don't trade the Vegas 1st-round pick too unless you get a better pick back.

I don't picture anyone wanting to trade a good, young defender for that kind of package. Also, there's an okay chance that pick could get someone good, who works out for us.

So, I think maybe you package Gus or AA with the pick for a better pick. Or you trade Gus and/or AA for more picks. Anything else is wishful thinking.

Last edited:

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
If i look at the rankings of the rookies available, there seem to be a few centers that could be picked at the end of the first round. If they don't land a promising young defender for the package you spoke about, i'd rather keep the pick, draft D with the 6th overall and a C near the end of the first round (or wait and see, if some 10-20 range prospects drops to us)

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
The realistic trade scenario for that pick would be a move-up situation. I don't see anyone giving us the kind of talent we need for AA+27 so just keep rebuilding through the draft.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I like a lot of the players that will be available at the Vegas pick. Philipp Kurashev is a high skilled center that's been rising recently. Jacob Olofsson is a solid two-way center whose been doing well against men in the Allsvenskan. If we take a forward at 6OA there's guys like K'Andre Miller, Mattias Samuelsson, Callen Addison, Jonny Tychonik, and Rasmus Sandin, all solid D.

Reactions: turkleton85

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We are going to get good defansman in the first round. ,We better get plymacer,center preferable. Come on ,so many good players we can get around #30. I am more excited about late first and orly second than our first overall

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Unless the D is top pairing, no. And you're not getting a top pairing D with a low pick as the centerpiece.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think the Islanders are in win now mode. Tavares ain't getting any younger and they need to prove to him they are going to build a winner sooner rather than later. With that being said I'd try to send them one of our wingers + the Vegas pick in exchange for their 11th or 12th pick. That way they get a proven goal scoring winger and still draft near the top 10.

So I'd offer them Mantha since he's cheap and still under team control. If they prefer Nyquist that's fine. Just make them the offer and see if you can get the #11 or #12 pick in addition to the #6 pick.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I think the Islanders are in win now mode. Tavares ain't getting any younger and they need to prove to him they are going to build a winner sooner rather than later. With that being said I'd try to send them one of our wingers + the Vegas pick in exchange for their 11th or 12th pick. That way they get a proven goal scoring winger and still draft near the top 10.

So I'd offer them Mantha since he's cheap and still under team control. If they prefer Nyquist that's fine. Just make them the offer and see if you can get the #11 or #12 pick in addition to the #6 pick.

Mantha
Vegas 2018 1st

For

11th
Or
12th?

Who would you target?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mantha
Vegas 2018 1st

For

11th
Or
12th?

Who would you target?

I don’t think we will be able to trade up that high... but I have Kotkaniemi, Smith, and Veleno as my favorites in that range.

I think a more realistic scenario is trading into the teen’s and taking McIsaac.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I don’t think we will be able to trade up that high... but I have Kotkaniemi, Smith, and Veleno as my favorites in that range.

I think a more realistic scenario is trading into the teen’s and taking McIsaac.

...with Mantha and the Vegas pick?

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Mantha
Vegas 2018 1st

For

11th
Or
12th?

Who would you target?

Yeah I'd prefer to keep Mantha than use him as a trade up piece. Nyquist or AA? Sure, but Mantha should be part of our team long-term plans IMO.

If we made that trade, I'd target Smith. If he and the rest of the consensus top 10 are gone, I really really don't want to make that trade, but I guess Veleno.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I wouldn't do it even if we could land Kotkaniemei, Smith or Veleno. As much as I like Kotkaniemei and Smith I think they are closer to what is projected to go at the end of the 1st round than they are to the top 9.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I wouldn't do it even if we could land Kotkaniemei, Smith or Veleno. As much as I like Kotkaniemei and Smith I think they are closer to what is projected to go at the end of the 1st round than they are to the top 9.

I could see the Hawks drafting Kotkaniemei, he reminds me of Toews. That guy should be a climber as they start testing and dissecting mountains of film. Certainly helped himself with his U18 performance too.

I like Kotkaniemei and Hayton a lot as two-way centers in this draft.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Mantha
Vegas 2018 1st

For

11th
Or
12th?

Who would you target?

Trading Mantha right now doesn't make any sense. I don't see why we would trade Mantha plus a late first, in hopes of finding a player at 10 or 11 that in 5 years from now can hopefully be as good as Mantha is. With a bit of consistency, Mantha could be a beast. Worst case scenario for him is an inconsistent 25 goal, 50 point player, which he is right now. I don't think we've seen anything close to his ceiling yet. If we can retool and be ready to compete in 4-5 years, Mantha is still in his prime. I don't think we should even consider moving Mantha.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
It would not surprise me if Holland packaged that Vegas pick along with our 6th overall pick for something like the Isles 11th, and 12th picks along with one, or both of their 2nd round picks.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think we just need to draft right now.

The difference between 20 and 27 is really marginal more often then not.

Keep the picks this year and start building a stable of young prospects

Reactions: golffuul

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad