Post-Game Talk: Keep shooting on the net until tomorrow nothing will happen... (Habs 1-3 Sharks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Huh? Domi had a 2 on 1 right after the first SJ goal but was stopped. Byron had 2 GREAT chances in the first...Weber had his big stick breaking bomb in the first. Domi had another 2 on 1 in the 2nd...etc.

Like I said, Habs had a bunch of chances to score but couldn't finish.

You can definitely tell who watched the game and who doesn't when reading the PGT.
You can tell who watches the highlight reel. :sarcasm:
We were seriously out chanced in the first two periods and you know it.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Why anyone is surprised by our record is beyond me. It was hilariously obvious we're playing way over our heads, Domi was set to outscore Ovechkin ffs lol.

We're still a mediocre team, with shoddy offense and subpar D. Tatar, Domi, Armia, Drouin etc.. are nice complementary 3rd liners on a Stanely Cup team, not first and 2nd line material. Benn, Alzner and Schlemko don't belong in the NHL. Petry is a solid #4D that's being played like he's a true #1, Weber can't be everywhere at once, the rest of the D squad is AHLers and decent #5-#7 guys.

Like it or not, we NEED a full blow rebuild AND overhaul of management top to bottom, starting with Beregvin. Get picks and prospects for Tatar, Gallagher, Domi and Drouin (I'd include Price but that contract isn't going anywhere without costing us something it shouldn't) and for the love of everything holy, don't let Bergevin be in charge of the trades.

thegoalie39

Nov 28, 2018
Ah no.....you sure?

Cause that point against Toronto in the first game doesn't exist if Price doesn't steal it. That's 1 points.
That shutout against Boston with 33 saves (Habs with 22 hots)...We're at 3 points.
That game against Calgary with 43 saves, 1st star of the game....We're at 5 points.

That's just on the top of my head...without those 5 points, Habs are where all of us expected them to be....in the bottom of the standings.

Price stole some points this season but how can any goalie save a team that have a Danault on the top 6 or a Kulak on the top pairing.

Look at Martin Jones, he's posting .894 with Burns, Vlasic and Karlsson in front of him.......Price had Petry - Benn - Juulsen for most of the season so far. You're expecting a goalie to steal how many games with that disaster of a D-squad?
Martin Jones is having a bad year....look at Raanta last year with the horrible Coyotes he had a .930% save percentage goalies do have great years even with mediocre d-core.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Ok, you guys can think whatever you want and we'll agree to disagree I guess.

All I said was the Habs had a bunch of scoring chances throughout the game and couldn't finish. You don't agree with that, then fine.

And as if a Weber one timer from the circle isn't a scoring chance :laugh:

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

All I said was the Habs had a bunch of scoring chances throughout the game and couldn't finish. You don't agree with that, then fine.

You're going to count every one timer Weber takes from the slot as a scoring chance? No wonder you think we had a "bunch of scoring chances" lol

Most of our shots posed no real threat, were routine saves and never challenged the goalie. I'd take 15 quality shots over the 40 something useless shots we throw at the goalies that serve nothing but pad our stats.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The shot numbers are similar to the team's that CJ coached in Boston around when he was fired. Looks to me like he's reverting back to his old ways after the team was letting in more goals than he was comfortable with.

They played real barn burner hockey at the start of the season. Tons of fun to watch, but a coach like Clode would never allow it.

I can't remember which season it was under Therrien(was it the year he was fired?) but we came out and played a similar style and flew out of the gate but similarly he tightened things up as well. The team has tried the old hold them close and shut them down while losing approach and it simply does not work. Who cares if we lose 6-5? We all know that this is a shallow team especially on D, at least let us feel somewhat entertained, some honey with our cough syrup so to speak.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
You're going to count every one timer Weber takes from the slot as a scoring chance? No wonder you think we had a "bunch of scoring chances" lol

Most of our shots posed no real threat, were routine saves and never challenged the goalie. I'd take 15 quality shots over the 40 something useless shots we throw at the goalies that serve nothing but pad our stats.

You're wrong, but that's okay.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Hey, what happened to Domi, Tatar and all that firepower from the early season games? Read right here how Tatar shouldn't be traded and how Domi's torrid pace was sustainable. Did Julien get to them with his defence-first default strategy or did they merely regress to the mean?

I said that 5 weeks ago, that they'd regress to the mean and what I was told is that OTHER players on the team would also regress to their own mean and score goals as those players were under their mean. Everything would be fine. Im just negative.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

It really isn't. Shooting isn't a scoring chance. Its a shot on goal...or often wide.

Reactions: Edgy

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I said that 5 weeks ago, that they'd regress to the mean and what I was told is that OTHER players on the team would also regress to their own mean and score goals as those players were under their mean. Everything would be fine. Im just negative.
Same, I was cautious on our 80-100 point players. Seems odd to have a guy out pace himself by 30 points, nevermind several guys. And we knew how weak our D was. A few teams took us lightly the first 2 weeks. We have been solved since then and are playing close to what this team really is.

Reactions: Runner77

murray

Oct 6, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
It was a very nice and well placed shot. That ain't a gift man.

We need high end talent, not average depth.

I watched that first goal on replay SO MANY times last night - Price's body language seemed angry/annoyed, and I wanted to confirm who was on D - and the puck was tipped by Schlemko right after the release.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Why anyone is surprised by our record is beyond me. It was hilariously obvious we're playing way over our heads, Domi was set to outscore Ovechkin ffs lol.

We're still a mediocre team, with shoddy offense and subpar D. Tatar, Domi, Armia, Drouin etc.. are nice complementary 3rd liners on a Stanely Cup team, not first and 2nd line material. Benn, Alzner and Schlemko don't belong in the NHL. Petry is a solid #4D that's being played like he's a true #1, Weber can't be everywhere at once, the rest of the D squad is AHLers and decent #5-#7 guys.

Like it or not, we NEED a full blow rebuild AND overhaul of management top to bottom, starting with Beregvin. Get picks and prospects for Tatar, Gallagher, Domi and Drouin (I'd include Price but that contract isn't going anywhere without costing us something it shouldn't) and for the love of everything holy, don't let Bergevin be in charge of the trades.
While we may be a mediocre team, its certainly a fun team to watch. We have quickly become a quick team that can play with anyone. Speed will do that. But the observation about our defence is self evident. Until that glaring weakness is addressed we will be treading water. Its a strong draft this year and we should be able to add several pieces who in time will only add to the general upward improvement of the team. Nothing is going to happen fast. But incremental improvement is more than acceptable. No single transaction can transform this rag tag collection into a contender. But if they continue to play hard and remain entertaining what more can we ask for at this junction.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I watched that first goal on replay SO MANY times last night - Price's body language seemed angry/annoyed, and I wanted to confirm who was on D - and the puck was tipped by Schlemko right after the release.
You are correct, that slight tip changed the trajectory of the puck and put the puck on a plane that would not otherwise have allowed the puck to elude the goalie..

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Domi and Tatar are nice complimentary third liners?

Edgy indeed. You don't need to post rubbish to get your point across, everyone knows the team isn't as good as their early record indicated. Not sure why people take such pleasure in saying our players suck so much though.

Love these post-loss posts

Reactions: Tuggy

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL

Edgy indeed. You don't need to post rubbish to get your point across, everyone knows the team isn't as good as their early record indicated. Not sure why people take such pleasure in saying our players suck so much though.

Are we at 40 pages yet?

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

Exactly.
There is no need to bash any player on the team, actually the moves and finds by Bergevin this off season have all been positive
At the end of the day this team wasn't supposed to be good enough to compete this year, perhaps even next season. But we are fun to watch and playing the right way while having a much better young core and lots of promising prospects.
I prefer this then us still being in the mix and seeing Bergevin get away from the real plan and start making stupid trades to try to "sneak in " to the playoffs

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Same, I was cautious on our 80-100 point players. Seems odd to have a guy out pace himself by 30 points, nevermind several guys. And we knew how weak our D was. A few teams took us lightly the first 2 weeks. We have been solved since then and are playing close to what this team really is.

Bravo gentlemen,

I'm glad you feel proud to announce that you knew, unlike all the imbeciles that cheer for the team, that Domi isn't a 100 point player all of a sudden.

I'm glad you both just knew that a team that was supposed to be atrocious isn't suddenly at the top of their division.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009

Reading comprehension fail? Or deliberately obtuse for the sake for arguing?
What I said was:
complementary 3rd liners on a Stanely Cup team
Unless you really think either of them cracks the top 2 lines on the Caps, Pens or Bolts. In that case, we're too far apart in our player talent assessment to agree on anything.

We take no pleasure in calling out the team as we see it. You want to sugar coat things and believe it'll all workout in the end that's you prerogative, I'd rather indulge in fantasy and wishful thinking and focus on fixing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad