Keep 1, Trade 1: Keller vs. Schmaltz

Keep 1, Trade 1: Keller vs. Schmaltz

• Total voters

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Schmaltz is excellent defensively in the neutral zone. He's just not good at board battles from his blueline in. He'll never be ROR. Putting him on the wing aka in a phone booth makes him play even worse, so that's why he is at center this year.

Finding a center that can skate and gain the zone with offensive skill like Schmaltz is a lot easier said than done, and will cost you a pretty penny in FA for a guy with a lot more mileage. He's flawed but he will have to do for now. His contract ratchets way, way up on the back end so I expect BA to rehab his value and then trade him, or trade him this summer with another center in mind.

It's a shame they missed out on Bennett.

Schmaltz is great at entering the zone offensively, probably one of the best in the league at it, but you're wrong on the defensive side of the equation, he is below average defensive center

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Schmaltz is great at entering the zone offensively, probably one of the best in the league at it, but you're wrong on the defensive side of the equation, he is below average defensive center

His takeaway rate is actually very good and he can cover guys in the middle of the ice. He just gets lost in his own zone. That's a problem when your system is shit and you spend 90% of the game in your own zone. It's less of a problem if you actually consistently generate offense.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
His takeaway rate is actually very good and he can cover guys in the middle of the ice. He just gets lost in his own zone. That's a problem when your system is shit and you spend 90% of the game in your own zone. It's less of a problem if you actually consistently generate offense.

It might be the system, it might not be the system, I don't have anything to compare it with because all we've seen him with is our horrible soft zone d-coverage system. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he can change and hopefully that is the case when we finally get a new/better coach.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It might be the system, it might not be the system, I don't have anything to compare it with because all we've seen him with is our horrible soft zone d-coverage system. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he can change and hopefully that is the case when we finally get a new/better coach.

They play box + 1 in their own zone like a f***ing peewee team would. It's not even coached well. I think a major improvement is definitely feasible. It just takes the right hires.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
You have to break down his defensive play into different parts for evaluation. He's great at creating pressure on the backcheck and knocking the puck off the carrier with his own stick, leading to takeaways, but yes, he does struggle along the boards. Altogether, his defense might then look below average, but if you were to supplement him with wingers who can ameliorate his weaknesses along the boards, or better yet, alter the system so his offensive zone entry skills could manifest in more zone time, you would have less of a worry about his defense because he'd be playing it far less. The Coyotes play a lot of defense, so just by virtue of accruing multiple chances against to defend, they are going to have higher counts of failures.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I see four young players that have established themselves as top six quality. I think Hayton will join that group very soon. If we can find another top six player in UFA this summer then we have a legit forward corps. Not elite but young and affordable.

I favour adding to what we have instead of tearing it down for a rebuild.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Now judge Keller vs his class with salary included.

I judge players by talent first, not salary. I dont have a problem with overpaid players if they fit in well. Minnesota is a good example of a bunch of bad contracts but playing great hockey.

Secondly, there's this simple fallacy around here that the Coyotes can just go and find more talented players if only they freed up salary space. Not true and not borne out by our track record. Losing teams do not attract top talent.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I judge players by talent first, not salary. I dont have a problem with overpaid players if they fit in well. Minnesota is a good example of a bunch of bad contracts but playing great hockey.

Keller's contract is going to be not only bad, but immovable in a couple of years. And folks can only throw the P-word (potential) around for so long before it becomes a joke.

Secondly, there's this simple fallacy around here that the Coyotes can just go and find more talented players if only they freed up salary space. Not true and not borne out by our track record. Losing teams do not attract top talent.

Salary and cap space might not buy us top talent, but it'd give us the leeway to plug holes with more than AHL-level bodies.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
They play box + 1 in their own zone like a f***ing peewee team would. It's not even coached well. I think a major improvement is definitely feasible. It just takes the right hires.
Will you please stop with that stupid shit? Yeah, we collapse too early and too much, but it’s not like an exclusive box p1 mandate. We’re not the only team that does it either, it’s hockey man, you can try to overcomplicate it to make yourself appear a tier above, but it’s a pretty simple game.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Keller's contract is going to be not only bad, but immovable in a couple of years. And folks can only throw the P-word (potential) around for so long before it becomes a joke.

Salary and cap space might not buy us top talent, but it'd give us the leeway to plug holes with more than AHL-level bodies.
Keller is still young and the salary cap will be going up again. EVERY contract can be moved with creativity.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Main issue is ALL our top group of forwards are small and play small (except Garland).

Jaskin is a big boy. 6'2" 224lbs. That will help.

I believe we will sign Jaden Schwartz. Not big but plays feisty.

Hopefully FM can add 2 big boys on the blueline.

Something like...

Keller - Dvorak - Garland
Schwartz - Hayton - Bunting
Jenik - Schmaltz - Jaskin
Crouse - Larsson - Pitlick

Chychrun - ??
OEL - Soderstrom
Provolnev - Lybushkin

Last edited:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I don't love adding Schwartz, I don't hate it. After watching the Florida/TB game how can you not want to throw more money at Coleman?

Get Coleman, Danault and one of Oleksiak, Hakanpa or Poolman. Trade Schmaltz and Kessel, OEL if it's possible. That's my ideal offseason

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't love adding Schwartz, I don't hate it. After watching the Florida/TB game how can you not want to throw more money at Coleman?

Get Coleman, Danault and one of Oleksiak, Hakanpa or Poolman. Trade Schmaltz and Kessel, OEL if it's possible. That's my ideal offseason
Would love to get Coleman and Danault. And also Oleksiak and Hakanpaa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad