Confirmed with Link: Keegan Lowe re-signed for 2 years

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Out playing guys in meaningless pre-season games means absolutely nothing. You think Ty Rattie is our best player right now?

Meaningless? Preseason performance means a lot (should mean everything) when it comes to deciding who makes the NHL roster. Based on performance, he should have been cut.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Meaningless? Preseason performance means a lot (should mean everything) when it comes to deciding who makes the NHL roster. Based on performance, he should have been cut.
Lol, good luck with that not how the real world works. Especially games against split squads.

If McDavid shits the bed you think he should be benched? Darnell Nurse is a step behind should he sit out until he's up to NHL game speed?

There has never been a year where the best 23 players in pre-season make a team.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Lol, good luck with that not how the real world works. Especially games against split squads.

If McDavid ****s the bed you think he should be benched? Darnell Nurse is a step behind should he sit out until he's up to NHL game speed?

There has never been a year where the best 23 players in pre-season make a team.

That's a straw man and you know it.
For tweeners, bubble players, PTO players and prospects, performance means a lot. If performance meant nothing, McLeod would have been cut along with Benson.

Honestly, if no other Dmen were cut, I wouldn't have made a stink about it but players who played better than Lowe were cut including a similar vet in Stanton.

Reactions: McGhost Division

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Clearly it was the best performing defenseman's fault for the team's lack of success last year...
On a farm team you have prospects and vets.

It's way easier to upgrade the vets.

I wish they had prospects that played better than a guy that came from the discard pile but here we are.

Hopefully Bear and Jones still have some development runway left.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
On a farm team you have prospects and vets.

It's way easier to upgrade the vets.

I wish they had prospects that played better than a guy that came from the discard pile but here we are.

Hopefully Bear and Jones still have some development runway left.

Honestly man...why are you pounding this drum over and over again. There is nothing here except maybe an excuse to keep the Kevin Lowe vitriol alive.

Let it go already.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's a straw man and you know it.
For tweeners, bubble players, PTO players and prospects, performance means a lot. If performance meant nothing, McLeod would have been cut along with Benson.

Honestly, if no other Dmen were cut, I wouldn't have made a stink about it but players who played better than Lowe were cut including a similar vet in Stanton.
Mcleod is also a player this team has never saw before, so it's not shocking that he's still here. Doesn't mean McLeod is a better prospect than Benson. Doesn't mean Marody is better. Training camp is used for a variety of aspects.

This happens every year, nothing new here. And I'm sure other teams are doing similar things

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Then scrap the preseason. If you won't do a merit based evaluation, then don't bother with it.
Pre-season tickets sell for a similar price as regular season tickets don’t they? That’s the reason there are pre-season games. With a salary cap and fifty man roster spots most of these decisions on players are made before camp. Unless a player is so bad in camp, or hurt, teams aren’t moving much from their plans.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Honestly man...why are you pounding this drum over and over again. There is nothing here except maybe an excuse to keep the Kevin Lowe vitriol alive.

Let it go already.
I'll let it go when the nepotism stops.

I don't know about you, but I feel like we as fans should not let stuff like this be swept under the rug.

People need to be talking about it. Public opinion matters to the Oilers on some level.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I don't know about you, but I feel like we as fans should not let stuff like this be swept under the rug.

People need to be talking about it. Public opinion matters to the Oilers on some level.

There is nothing to sweep under the rug here IMO.

Its virtually irrelevant. Keegan is a legit AHL player and he is on a 2 way contract.

There really is no issue worth spending time on here.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
You know how ridiculous this is, right?

You do understand that if that was the case, Lowe would have played more NHL games than he already has, no?

Will Acton was guaranteed a spot here, and his dad didn't have nearly the pull that 'ol six rings has.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Mcleod is also a player this team has never saw before, so it's not shocking that he's still here. Doesn't mean McLeod is a better prospect than Benson. Doesn't mean Marody is better. Training camp is used for a variety of aspects.

This happens every year, nothing new here. And I'm sure other teams are doing similar things

What I'm saying is that McLeod is here because he earned it with his performance. I'm following up on your comment that preseason performance means "nothing".

If you look at the D right now. It's NHLers, bubble guys, a PTO and Kevin Lowe's son who happened to stink against Vancouver.
I hate to be one of those "wah wah nepotism" guys, I really do, but come on.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Whys it matter? They don't have dads working for the team, so they aren't wanted here.

Oh god, this is ridiculous now.

Keegan Lowe survives a round of cuts and suddenly he is guaranteed a roster spot.

Wow, this is an incredible stretch of logic at work.

Reactions: McBooya42

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh god, this is ridiculous now.

Keegan Lowe survives a round of cuts and suddenly he is guaranteed a roster spot.

Wow, this is an incredible stretch of logic at work.

If Will Acton can get a guaranteed roster spot with a lesser known dad, the possibilities for a Lowe are endless.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Let's pool our money together for a billboard that says "Stop signing good veteran defensemen for our farm team", I guess.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
If Will Acton can get a guaranteed roster spot with a lesser known dad, the possibilities for a Lowe are endless.

Yes, all 33 games of Will Acton is all the proof we need to know Lowe is starting the year in Edmonton.

Again, the fact that you are penciling in Keegan Lowe on the opening night roster because he survived a round of cuts, with more cuts to come, says so much more about your bias against his dad and far less of your objectivity of the player himself.

It is wildly well known that his performance last year in the AHL was very good. Hey, though, that doesn't count for anything because he struggled in his first game in months.

Reactions: harpoon and guymez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad