Keaton Ellerby a few thoughts.......

KBF111

May 16, 2007
From someone who actually has seen him play on many many occasions throughout his career in Kamloops.

Basically, yes he does have the tools to be a top D-man. So far, he hasn't progressed since he was 16. He's a great skater, has a hard shot but never uses it. He's selfish, you could count all the turnovers and lazy plays he made each game on at least one hand.

I cannot fathom him being higher than a guy like Blum. Ellerby has the potential, but as of right now has no smarts and not much common sense with the puck and I for one cannot believe he's a top 10 potential pick.

Speedshank

Apr 4, 2007
Edmonton
The one thing that really appeals to me about Ellerby is his size. He's a physical presence yet he's nowhere near from filling out. Imagine him 4 years from now and weighing 220 ibs. He will be a large presence on the ice and he can skate and has a great shot.

There are not many big defenseman in the NHL with great wheels and a hard shot. I believe he has the most potential out of this years crop to be a top D in the NHL. Alzner maybe a safe bet but he doesn't have as much potential.

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
I think of him as a combination of Matt Spiller and Shawn Belle. a great frame and wheels only take you so far. he just can't think.

I think he'll end up being picked around 45, as obviously what he brings to the table on the physical side is very impressive, but the complete lack of hockey sense has to push him down.

KBF111

May 16, 2007
I think of him as a combination of Matt Spiller and Shawn Belle. a great frame and wheels only take you so far. he just can't think.

I think he'll end up being picked around 45, as obviously what he brings to the table on the physical side is very impressive, but the complete lack of hockey sense has to push him down.

Very well said, Keaton does have the talent but I don't think he has the coach to sit his ass down when it needs to be sat. He played like junk most of the year, and it took till March for the coach to finally bench him for his stupid play.

Bill_Meltzer

Jan 28, 2005
Players like Michel Petit and Karl Dykhuis played for years in the NHL after being drafted in the first round because of their collection of physicial skills. But they were marginal defensemen because of their tendency to make poor decisions on the ice.

While Ellerby could work through those issues with additional experience, the odds are against it. You can't teach hockey sense, and the forechecking and speed of the game are only going to intensify as he moves up the ladder.

One reason to give him the benefit of the doubt, however, is that he had a very late growth spurt and is just learning how to use his size to his advantage.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
No way Ellerby slips past twenty. I have him going off the board around the 8-14 range and anywhere below that is an absolute steal for a gamble on a prospect that has the ceiling potential that Ellerby has.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
I think of myself as somewhat of an Ellerby detractor, in the sense that I am not really buying into the hype around him. That said, he is really getting dragged through the mud here. His hockey sense may not be an overwhelming strength, but I don't see him as a particularly stupid player. He is error prone, but I find that to be a lot of the time a result of him being a risky style player. He likes to carry the puck, he likes to go for big hits, and he isn't the strongest positional player. I think he has reasonable offensive instincts, though, and he can learn positioning and be tamed in a more stable controlled pro environment. Guys with his frame, aggression, talent and stride (I don't actually think his skating is that great, but he is good in a straight line forwards) are going to be drafted high. I don't like him as a top 10 pick, and I don't think he a better prospect than Blum or Hickey, and not even close to Alzner, but I would be very surprised to see him out of the first round.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ellerby is an interesting case. I'm high on him, and see him as a 10-15 overall pick.

He does need a coach to straighten out some bad habits. Like Greg just said above, he doesn't seem to be a dumb player and I don't think his defensive reads are really all that bad. When his head is in the game and he keeps his play crisp and simple, he's very sound. But he seems to lose his focus and start playing a very lax game - lazy plays with the puck, going for big hits when he shouldn't, and not playing with the same pace/intensity he does when he's 'on'. Right now it seems to be 50/50 which guy shows up.

If he was always on his game, he'd be a top-10 pick. 6'4 defenders with a mean streak and mobility who can move the puck out of their zone with authority are a very, very rare commodity. The upside is undeniable, and you have to hope solid coaching can bring him a consistent focus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->