WJC: Kazakhstan 2020 Roster Talk

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
This team will likely get relegated as a lot of the big boys from last year are gone, and this will be a young team, but I recently saw a MHL game, and I think there's actually going to be a few players on this roster worth a watch. Pretty much just that top line, like it was last year where we'll see them play a bit of a trap/hard paced hockey and rely on the PP.

Last year I made the late roster thread too, and spoke highly of Gatiyatov who I had seen play before, and thanks to relegation matches and a solid PP, he was 3rd in tourny scoring. I still think he and Orekhov should have been drafted (especially Orekhov).

This year the player I think most worth a watch is Dias Guseinov. Holy crap this kid is good. He's better than Gatiyatov, but he's got to be on early draft lists. This kids skill level is very good. I seriously wouldn't doubt if he leads the tourny in points depending on who they face in relegation. To me Guseinov is a 6th/7th rounder with tremendous upside you don't typically see in late rounders. Someone should take a stab at him. He's a better skater than Gatiyatov, and I think that was what held Gat back.

There are also 2 kids playing in the Kazakh mens league who actually play on the same line. Buyalsky and Dyomin. That chemistry will pay some dividends, and Buyalsky has some good size. I could see them surprising too. Especially as 19 year olds. These are not really draft players, but rather tournament players if that makes sense.

The other big name you need to keep an eye on, especially with how this position always seems to make a media darling, is Maxim Pavlenko, the 17 year old goalie. He's got great size, and is very quick. If he can get hot he'll be good but I have a feeling they'll go with someone like Nurek as a late add, but I'm not sure as he hasn't even played in any games for the u20 team this year. I could see Pavlenko getting some 7th round looks if he has a strong tournament here.

It's too bad this team qualified for this year, and not next because next year I think they'll be formidable and could stay around another year. This year though, I just think they're too young, and not enough skill.

airbus1094

Feb 27, 2013
Philly
Is there a translation available?
Haven't seen anything in English, you can always throw it into google translate, but there not much info beyond he's injured and will not participate in the tournament. No information about the type of injury, when he sustained it or how long he'll be out. Shaiba.kz is a generally reliable site imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad