Katz interview from Studio 99

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Did anyone catch the Katz interview from Studio 99? From the piece Stauffer just played today on Oilers Now Katz sounded very tapped in, he himself was talking about how the team didn't show up last year and didn't show up for the first couple of games this year and first 2 periods of the Winnipeg game. Makes me think that the pressure was genuinely on Tmac right off of the hop and will continue to be. I would love to hear the entire interview if anyone knows where it can be found.

Reactions: Del Preston

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Did anyone catch the Katz interview from Studio 99? From the piece Stauffer just played today on Oilers Now Katz sounded very tapped in, he himself was talking about how the team didn't show up last year and didn't show up for the first couple of games this year and first 2 periods of the Winnipeg game. Makes me think that the pressure was genuinely on Tmac right off of the hop and will continue to be. I would love to hear the entire interview if anyone knows where it can be found.

Is there anywhere to hear the interview? At least it's somewhat encouraging to hear he actually follows the team from the sounds of it.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Oct 18 - Daryl Katz with Reid and Bob - CHED - Omny.fm

Starts at 2:03.

- asked Chiarelli in New York to explain how [effectively] the same team 18 months ago was able to reach round two of the playoffs
- didn't think the team showed up last year or the first two games this season + first two periods of the Winnipeg game; that was the most frustrating thing for him and the fans
- it is a big year for the team
- the fans expect a lot and deserve a lot

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

It sounds like the 3rd period in Winnipeg saved Todd/Peter's bacon for a little while anyway, lol, sounds like Katz was not a happy camper to that point.

He confronted Peter before the Rangers game and wanted to know how 18 months ago the team looked good but had been terrible since. Didn't feel the team was "showing up".

My problem with this that was McDavid putting the team on his back, I think he's masking a lot of problems right now and Katz is probably be suckered into it.

And also yeah for people who think Katz doesn't watch ... guess he does because he specifically singled out the first two games and the first two periods vs. Winnipeg as being crap, so he must watch the games.

Last edited:
Reactions: McFuhryous

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
By all account outside this site Katz is a hardcore fan. It's just a narrative from hf that he doesn't care.

Yeah actually I'm surprised by how closely it sounds like he follows the team.

It sounds like he's not f***ing around with this season either, they better make the playoffs at bare minimum.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
By all account outside this site Katz is a hardcore fan. It's just a narrative from hf that he doesn't care.

He’s made billions of dollars by putting people in positions that he trusts.

The man hates failure. It’s not even in his vocabulary

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
2. What a difference two games make. Heading into last Saturday’s game at Madison Square Garden, the mood around the Oilers was tense. Daryl Katz was at practice the day before, and everyone knew how he felt. As far as owners go, Katz is on the low end of the hands-on scale. He’ll make his calls, but generally isn’t breathing down everyone’s necks. When I started studying the business of sports, some of the best advice received was to learn how ticket plans and luxury-box sales worked. Often, I was told, the answers explained why certain decisions were made. When Rogers Place opened, the suites came with three-, five- and seven-year options. The three-year term ends this summer. Now, do you think that adds importance to the season? You go from 0-2 to 2-2 and a excited fan base can’t wait to see what’s next at its home opener on Thursday.

Of course he cares, there's money on the line

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the murmurs last season that he wanted some blood and wanted some firings but was talked out of it are probably true. He follows the team for sure.

I would guess the Coffey hire was an attempt to calm down his anger.

oilsplatzz

Apr 14, 2018
if it was not for Katz i am not sure we'de even have a team, he has always been one of the biggest fans , who else would put up millions to support this team? If you or I owned this team would we be crazy to NOT try and get former Oilers to run the team?

Reactions: Former Referee 68

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I cant speak for anybody else but I have never thought that Katz didn't care.
My issue with Katz has always been that his judgement was badly impaired by his loyalty to the boys on the bus gang.

He has protected them and made sure that they were a part of the Oilers Management team in some capacity all along. He even obscured it from the fans in an effort to shield them from any future criticism.

I have wondered all along if Chiarelli really did have autonomy with his decision making. If there is backroom decision making team that continuously takes the reigns away from Chiarelli then as a fan I have an issue with that.
That lack of transparency makes it difficult to get true accountability.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Of course he cares, there's money on the line
This is the root of it right here.

When the rumours came out last year that he was unhappy with the teams performance and was considering making changes, it wasn’t just because they were losing. He was angry because the previous season (the first year in Rogers) they were leading the league in revenue and last season the team saw a significant drop in that revenue.

Since the day he bought the team we’ve been told he’s a big fan. Despite what we’ve been told, I haven’t seen a lot of evidence that backs that up. I’ve seen mountains of evidence confirming he loves money though. Seems the only times we ever hear from him is when his money train is being interrupted. I’ll wait to see him make decisions on running the team with winning in mind instead of keeping his buddies around before I’ll believe he cares a lot about the current team.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Oct 18 - Daryl Katz with Reid and Bob - CHED - Omny.fm

Starts at 2:03.

- asked Chiarelli in New York to explain how [effectively] the same team 18 months ago was able to reach round two of the playoffs
- didn't think the team showed up last year or the first two games this season + first two periods of the Winnipeg game; that was the most frustrating thing for him and the fans
- it is a big year for the team
- the fans expect a lot and deserve a lot

Katz reads HF, confirmed.

Does anyone recall which game Chiarelli did the interview during an intermission, was it the Rangers game?

Reactions: PulYou

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I think it was the game before in Boston.

Ah yes, I believe you are to be correct. If it was the Rangers game, I was gonna say no wonder he looked uncomfortable getting put on the coals by the owner prior to the game. On the other hand, I imagine the meeting was scheduled and he knew he was going to get roasted so he was probably pretty stressed.

Winning keeps people's jobs safe but I'd say Chia's job is likely more in jeopardy than Todd's as he is the architect of the team with Katz grilling him and not Mclellan (or both).

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
What I hated about interview (and I only heard that snippet on Bobs show) was that he never said or gave the answer that Chia gave him when he asked about how the team's so crappy 18 months later.
I mean if he was pissed and serious that he asked Chia, what did he say to assuage Katz? I'd like to know!

Reactions: guymez

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I honestly think it's a joke that Tmac recieves just as much criticism as Chia.
This team struggles in every area that’s heavily dependent on coaching. Special teams, systems play and matchups. The only offense we have is what McDavid creates with his speed. That’s on coaching. You can criticize the roster all you want but it’s impossible to have a perfect roster in a cap system. What you need is a coach that can get the most out of what he has and devise systems to cover weaknesses. Not only does Mclellan fail miserably at that, there isn’t any evidence that he recognizes that he needs to do it. He does the same things game in and game out whether they’re working or not.

Chiarelli hasn’t done a very good job. I don’t think he’ll be here much longer. IMO, Mclellan has been even worse because he hasn’t shown any ability to adapt to anything. I don’t think he’s gotten enough criticism. The media left him alone last year when they should have been questioning everything from his stubbornness to him being just as disinterested in the games as his players were.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
It’s a not very well guarded secret that Harrison Katz is being groomed to take over the GM role but I don’t think Daryl meant for it to be this soon.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Yeah actually I'm surprised by how closely it sounds like he follows the team.

It sounds like he's not ****ing around with this season either, they better make the playoffs at bare minimum.

Can you imagine, after the 2015 draft, that making the playoffs would be successful season 4 years later?

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
Contrary to some of you, I think it reaffirms Daryl Katz as one of the most clueless owners who surrounds himself with even more clueless management. I'm not sure if he can even tell it's not just coaching - the poor results are actually magnified with a poor shaping of the roster with no cap flexibility. Our D is only marginally better when Chiarelli started while he decimated all the offensive depth with poor trades and signings. We have no more assets to address the same old ongoing needs without trading RNH Drai etc. The organizational incompetence is really being enabled by him for the past 12 years. Most owners would have identified and cleaned house top to bottom years before we lucked out drafting McDavid. Even worse we still currently have nothing to show for into year 4 - now it's no longer a one line team but a one man team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad