WJC: Kassian hit on Senkerik (UPD: Suspended 2 Games against NOR/SWE)

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Not talking about hits from behind into the boards there awful and yes there is issues with them.As for head shots if its a clear head shot yes something needs to be done about that banning or limiting open ice hits is going down a very slippery slope.If the player last night did get up kassian gets nothing the growiing trend of making calls based on injurys is a big concern.

I can definitely agree with you about that last part. :) It is a big concern. However, I'm not sure it really is a growing concern. I think extreme consequences have had a huge impact on the discipline for an extended amount of time now. But that doesn't take much away from the problem, though.
It's a tough problem to deal with, though. Actions regularly get evaluated based on their consequences. Intent, as it is hard to prove, necessarily needs to be found in factual circumstances, involving the consequences at times. It's not an easy job for the people in the respective committees...

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
What happened to Frk for the spear? I know he didn't get any extra game suspensions from the IIHF article, but did he get the match penalty automatic 1 game or he is allowed to play next game?

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
I can definitely agree with you about that last part. :) It is a big concern. However, I'm not sure it really is a growing concern. I think extreme consequences have had a huge impact on the discipline for an extended amount of time now. But that doesn't take much away from the problem, though.
It's a tough problem to deal with, though. Actions regularly get evaluated based on their consequences. Intent, as it is hard to prove, necessarily needs to be found in factual circumstances, involving the consequences at times. It's not an easy job for the people in the respective committees...

But can you see my point the call was made because of the injury.If right away they made the call fine but waiting to see how bad he was hurt that is a bit of a issue if he gets up nothing is called.

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
Its just amazing some of you have no issues with the spear and think its fine.

The "spear" was the guys pulling his stick back out from between the legs. ( the stick should not have been there, I get that). Also, the Canadian did not miss a shift from it. A little embellished, as was the guy in front of the Czech net that went sprawling.
Hey, if it draws a penalty, great! But I don't think the player Kassian hit was embellished.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
But can you see my point the call was made because of the injury.If right away they made the call fine but waiting to see how bad he was hurt that is a bit of a issue if he gets up nothing is called.

Sure, if that's the way it went down I can easily understand someone having an issue with that. On plays like this, however, where play gets broken up so quickly after the hit I usually find it a little tougher to judge whether there was one referee intending to make a call (and which) right away. I absolutely see your point in general and agree with it.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
The mere fact that was penalized is a joke. Having a one-game suspension (at minimum) tacked on is simply a farce and an embarrassment to this sport.

The worst part is that this is only the beginning. The NHL will adopt similar measures soon. We're seeing the death of contact in hockey, and I can't believe some of you are fine with it.

ok, tough guy. your post = me :laugh:

Late and to the head. That's a misconduct in IIHF games, no news there. He'll miss the game against the incredibly strong Norwegian powerhouse.

yes it was. it's exactly the type of hit that has ended (or will end) careers. it was gratuitous and unnecessary.

punishment for that hit is most certainly not the death of contact hockey. when players are taking liberties with other players careers or even lives, something has to be done. this isn't scott stevens stepping up on lindros, these are late, blind cheap shots by players looking to hurt someone badly because they think they can knock some guy's block off and get away with it. add in the damage modern shoulder pads/elbow pads can do and this is a joke.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Yes, Kassian DID hit Senkerik in the chin, but that was only because Kassian is the taller of the two.

Terrible call based on that, IMO. The result of the hit didn't help Kassian's cause, either.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
LMFAO! Could you imagine how bad the game would look if everyone had their head down looking at he puck all the time...it would look bush league. I agree with a previous post about players who have their head deserving what they get. You can't skate in the middle of the ice without knowing who's around you. Also I don't think an opponent should have to lay off a hit when they know their head is down. There has to be some pay off for looking at the puck at your feet. This is a contact sport not foot hockey. If you can't keep your head up you deserve to get drilled.

Nobody is talking about looking down at pucks at your feet. You're creating strawmen and they're not helpful.

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Guess we all know what happens nxt eh ?

When Kassian comes back in the semis, Our Euro opponents will be throwing themselves on the ice, and laying prostrate , every time he so much as touches them. And there's a good chance the refs will fall for it. The only saving grace is that these games are being played in North America where the audience is a tad more savvy, so there's less chance of the crowd being taken in too / unduly influencing things

You're right. Kassian is the victim here.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Luckily Kassian isn't the type to let this affect his style of play. The Kennedy hit/suspension gave him some more discipline, but he definitely stayed physical. That said, I'm not sure that there's anything to learn from this hit.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
the extra game is not needed

period.

I almost wonder, if the Sweden game was tonight and Norway on Friday, would it have been 2 games?

I wasn't counting time of the lateness, rather the possession factor, meaning it was not a legal hit in that sense. Time is irrelevant when the target has no puck and his teammate has already passed the puck to someone else.

So if it took .5 seconds for the puck to be where it was at the time of the hit, it still would have been late? Flawed logic if you ask me. If you are talking about how late a hit is there is no way to exclude time. The hit was around the 1 second late mark, borderline late.

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Late hit, interference for sure, but otherwise the hit seemed fine to me. I'm pretty surprised by the additional suspension, I guess that's the IIHF for you though.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
A late hit that results in an injury and/or the head area is targeted is a punishable offence in the NHL also.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Coyotes-Shane-Doan-gets-3-game-suspension-but-?urn=nhl-277951
I see the Doan hit as more of a blindside hit that really targeted the head, while this Kassian hit was more of a straight up shoulder to chest (and somewhat head) open ice hit that was late. I feel like the Kassian hit would just have been 2 mins for interference in the NHL, but I could be wrong.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Rule 540 - Checking to the Head and Neck Area – A player who directs a check or blow, with any part of his body, to the head and neck area of an opposing player or “drives†or “forces†the head of an opposing player into the protective glass or boards, shall be assessed at the discretion of the Referee, a minor and a misconduct penalty; a major and game misconduct penalty; or a match penalty. When injury occurs, a match penalty must be assessed.

That's straight from the IIHF rule book. You can complain that you don't like the rules that the IIHF enforces, but you can't say that check was 'clean' (within the rules).

There was clearly contact to the head (penalty) and there was a injury on the play (match penalty). I think the supplementary discipline was a bit much (the extra game), but you CAN'T SAY THAT WAS A CLEAN CHECK BY IIHF RULES (the only rule set that applies at the WJC).

Sure, it deserved a match penalty by the IIHF rules but did it deserve an extra game? I don't think so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad