TSN: Kassian for Scrivens

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Here's the rub though. What has Scrivens shown (beyond a 19 game stint in LA) that shows he is any better than Tokarski?

If you think Toker gives up softies, wait 'til you get a load of Scrivens.

MT cited his goalie's inexperience as an issue recently. MB got him a backup with more experience.

I think the experience will help keep Scrivens grounded. Fundamentally, Scrivens is still a back up and we should expect him to be relatively average but what is fair to expect is that he at least brings .900 goaltending. We haven't gotten that recently and most NHL backups can provide that.

Overall? Yah, Tokarski, Condon and Scrivens are in the same class of goaltending but one is more experienced, knows he's a journeyman and is getting a fresh start. The other two probably feeling the pressure.

We forget that Price is a special goalie sometimes in terms of the market.

You gotta think a rookie goalie like Condon is aware of the heat on the team, aware that his play has dropped off and aware that it doesn't look good on his resume.

Again, Scrivens can be a bust but as long as he provides .900+ it's better than what the other two are providing. Will it solve our goal scoring? Probably not. There's an outside chance that a fresh face might give the team some confidence but apart from that, Scrivens wasn't acquired for goals.

At this point, it's like MT requested. A goalie with more experience, he's getting it and the price is minimal. For the anti-MT crowd this is the first step isn't it? The GM is admitting there's an issue. If we keep losing then MT can no longer use this reason.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Why not see how scrivens does? I don't expect much but who knows.

What the hell are you doing LL? You should know better than to bring common sense into a discussion like this. :shakehead ;)

Personally I'm still on the fence with this trade. I don't mind adding Scrivens, since it allows Tokarski to go back to the AHL. I don't like the idea of trading Kassian at his lowest point. I would have let Kassian go down to St.John's to prove himself. While trying to see if I could move someone else to obtain Scrivens or someone similar to him.

weedersson

Mar 5, 2014
I guess MB is trying one more time with a goalie from the Oilers. We could've had Dubnyk as a starter, but we treated him like a bag of pucks.

Nynja*

The loss of Gallagher destroyed any semblance of balance of our low scoring forward group. He not only provided balance but was an inspiration as well. Galchenyuk cannot play on 2 lines nor can Pacioretty or Plekanec. The forward group as constructed will never win a cup.

No it didnt
We scored 13 goals in the 11 1/2 periods following Gallaghers injury before Therrien shuffled the lines for no reason.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
At this point, it's like MT requested. A goalie with more experience, he's getting it and the price is minimal. For the anti-MT crowd this is the first step isn't it? The GM is admitting there's an issue. If we keep losing then MT can no longer use this reason.
People want to win, not keep losing. I doubt Scrivens is the solution.
Price couldn't even keep a .500 record last year when we had the same issues scoring 1-2 goals. I doubt Scrivens will be the saviour. I mean, he can pull a Hamburglar, you can always be lucky. That's not a winning strategy though.
Would be like having a career plan that revolves around winning the lotto.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Actually. That would be fitting to the way the team is playing lately.
I hope he wears a Habs jersey, his Oilers mask, LA trapper and blocker, and Leafs pads.

As long as it's not the Sparks pads, Im cool with it! :laugh:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Then I guess Scrivens is getting geared up for Vezina consideration next season.

Seriously, I don't hate him as a full-time backup for this season if Price can play at some point.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Is Scrivens the guy that went on that big hot streak last year? Or is that another Leaf third stringer I'm thinking of?

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Not sure Scrivens career numbers are proof of anything. He played with two of the most utterly garbage teams of this decade in the Leafs and Oilers.

2011–12 TOR 4-5-2 3.13 .902
2012–13 TOR 7-9-2 2.69 .915
2013–14 LAK 7-5-4 1.97 .931
2013–14 EDM 9-11-0 3.01 .916
2014–15 EDM 15-26-11 3.16 .890

Anomalies, anyone? He apparently does quite well under good defensive systems.

I can't promise that he'll do well as a full-time starter, but maybe for a stretch of games long enough to get our real starter back...

Nynja*

Anomalies, anyone? He apparently does quite well under good defensive systems.

dg1i6h.jpg

Heres a sample of our "good defensive work" in this 1-10-0 stretch.

Alone in the home plate area? check
Allowed to dangle at the lip of the crease uncontested? check check check
Alone in the high slot? Check check
Unhindred cross-slot passes to open players? check
Attackers sitting behind the D at 5v5? check
2 on 0's? check

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Lmao I like that pic.

Also, every goalie does good behind a good defensive system. What kind of an argument is that.

I imagine it's along the lines of "Therrien is a great coach when he has the first goaltender in NHL history to win the Hart, Jennings, Vezina, and Lindsay trophies in the same season on his team".

Lions999

Jun 28, 2011
Dumb move I think we're ok on on D if we use the 8 dmen that we have smartly. Should have kept kassian for the 4th line right winger and pick up Simmonds in a trade for our 2nd line rt winger. Get rid of DD and put back Eller as 3rd line center.
Patches Pleks Gallagher
Carr galchenyuk Simmonds
Flash Eller Weise
Ghetto Mitchell kassian
That looks pretty good.

Kraniumm

Hanshan
Jan 1, 2015
BC
New top line: Patches - DD - Scrivens

Or is there some other way he helps us put the puck in the other team's net?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad