Kassian/Cernak kicking incident Part 2 (suspended for 7 games)

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
yep. Pretty evident. Still can’t see the skate make contact with the Tampa player
I just don't see how you don't see it. You can even see Cernak's head snap a little as it would when you're hit in the chest. But I mean you were saying Cernak was holding Kassian down when he kicked him even though you can clearly see his both arms and both legs free so I guess we just see things differently.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Kassian already waived his right for the in person hearing, Mckenzie reported that the phone hearing already took place 2 hrs ago, 4pm pm eastern. theres no reason to not come to a desicion for another 48 hrs or over the weekend, they have all the facts now.

Doesn't mean they have come to a decision based on those facts

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Your comment makes it sound like you think it's a joke. I know you don't mean it that way but to follow the lead of someone who has a history of hot takes and salacious outrage is not a good idea.
What Kassian did is a very serious matter and to joke about the punishment is just stupid.
Personally I hope they throw the book at Kassian. Its obvious that a few days suspension is meaningless to him.
The DOPS has been at best inconsistant with how they call things.
Kassian does deserve whatever they give him. And honestly as an Oiler fan I am ok with that for a couple of reasons.
The first and most important one is that Kassian crossed a pretty big line here, not the first time he has crossed the line, it is the good and bad you get with players of that ilk(Marchand, Tkachuk ect) and it does not excuse it

The second one is selfish as hell but....Kassian has not been playing that well since the last BOA game, and there are rumors out there(no media reports) that he is nursing an injury.....this could turn into rest time for him....

But I thought the league was too soft on Pronger when he stomped Kesler(and I hate Kesler) so it would be very hypocritical of me to say that Kassian should recieve nothing. Throw the book at him.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
IIRC Kassian is not allowed to play with pending disciplinary action

Is that really the rule?

if it is then there's no way the DOPS is allowed to wait until over the weekend to announce a desicion.

What if a player is under investigation and misses two games while waiting but the findings of the investigation is that 0 games should be missed?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Doesn't mean they have come to a decision based on those facts

That makes 0 sense.

They have all the facts and have spoken to everyone involved? why do they need to 48 hours to come to a decision?
Nothing is going to change over the weekend. I expect a verdict within a few hours or less.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Ok I wasn't aware of that... probably because you never, or rarely ever, see it done. So what is the linesman's excuse then? He was right there... 10 ft away and looking right at them.

Honestly the lines men and refs are in the same fast game the players are. If the TBay player was smart he would have dropped to the ice and got a penalty call. The contact was pretty minor(does not excuse the action at all) so the linesmen probably brushed it off as "no harm, no foul" which seems to be the way the league makes calls on the ice.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I just don't see how you don't see it. You can even see Cernak's head snap a little as it would when you're hit in the chest. But I mean you were saying Cernak was holding Kassian down when he kicked him even though you can clearly see his both arms and both legs free so I guess we just see things differently.
Yeah we do. The camera definitely doesn’t show the skate contact Cernak (not denying it happened) but Cernak is also just starting to get up as the skate comes close to himC hence the body and head movement that is natural of anyone who has been crouched over holding someone down.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Yeah we do. The camera definitely doesn’t show the skate contact Cernak (not denying it happened) but Cernak is also just starting to get up as the skate comes close to himC hence the body and head movement that is natural of anyone who has been crouched over holding someone down.
2.3 General Duties – The Linesmen are generally responsible for calling violations of off-side (Rule 83) and icing (Rule 81). They may stop play for a variety of other situations as noted in sections 32.4 and 33.5 below.
32.4 Reporting to Referee – The Linesman shall give to the Referees his interpretation of any incident that may have taken place during the game.
The Linesman may stop play and report what he witnessed to the Referees when:
(i) There are too many men on the ice (Rule 74)
(ii) Articles are thrown on the ice from the players’ bench or penalty bench (Rule 75)

(iii) When team personnel interfere with a game official (Rule 39)
(iv) When a player who has lost or broken his stick receives one illegally (Rule 10)
The Linesman must report upon completion of play, any circumstances pertaining to:
(v) Major penalties (Rule 20)

(vi) Match penalties (Rule 21)
(vii) Misconduct penalties (Rule 22)
(viii) Game Misconduct penalties (Rule 23)
(ix) Abuse of Officials (Rule 39)
(x) Physical Abuse of Officials (Rule 40)
(xi) Unsportsmanlike Conduct (Rule 75)
Should a Linesman witness a foul (above) committed by an attacking player (undetected by the Referees) prior to the attacking team scoring a goal, the Linesman shall report what he witnessed to the Referees, the goal shall be disallowed and the appropriate penalty assessed.
The Linesman must stop play immediately and report to the Referees when:
(xii) When it is apparent that an injury has resulted from a high-stick that has gone undetected by the Referees and requires the assessment of a double-minor penalty. (Rule 60)

The linesmen could have called it or reported it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Honestly the lines men and refs are in the same fast game the players are. If the TBay player was smart he would have dropped to the ice and got a penalty call. The contact was pretty minor(does not excuse the action at all) so the linesmen probably brushed it off as "no harm, no foul" which seems to be the way the league makes calls on the ice.
LOL... with the state of refereeing these days the Tampa player would have most likely been given a diving call if he fell to the ice after Kassian kicked him.

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
It's funny how this is being downplayed by the media … kicking an opponent with your skate blade …. and the same sports media and former players who loudly call out Matthew Tkachuk for a clean hit …. this isn't real sport it's wrestling …. I have lost my respect for the sports media in this country ….

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Yes because Kassians stupid wreckless kick to Cernak is the result of the feud with Tkachuk that virtually ended with them dropping the gloves and Tkachuk getting his his ass kicked.

Makes sense .
Sure, he's living in Kassian's head rent free. Got him on total tilt.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
LOL... with the state of refereeing these days the Tampa player would have most likely been given a diving call if he fell to the ice after Kassian kicked him.

Probably lol, they are a tad inconsistant.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Is that really the rule?

if it is then there's no way the DOPS is allowed to wait until over the weekend to announce a desicion.

What if a player is under investigation and misses two games while waiting but the findings of the investigation is that 0 games should be missed?

As per the NHL website if a player is offered an in person hearing, they are suspended until the hearing occurs. I'm guessing since Kass passed up on the in person hearing that was scheduled for Monday he also waived his rights to play in the games this weekend.

That makes 0 sense.

They have all the facts and have spoken to everyone involved? why do they need to 48 hours to come to a decision?
Nothing is going to change over the weekend. I expect a verdict within a few hours or less.

I don't get how this doesn't make sense to you just because they have all the facts doesn't mean they can instantly come up with a verdict.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It's funny how this is being downplayed by the media … kicking an opponent with your skate blade …. and the same sports media and former players who loudly call out Matthew Tkachuk for a clean hit …. this isn't real sport it's wrestling …. I have lost my respect for the sports media in this country ….

Downplayed by the media? Pretty sure they are all unanimously calling for a suspension.

This whole Flames fan delusion that the NHL and surrounding media are with the Oilers and against the Flames is a fascinating phenomena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad