Kassian/Cernak kicking incident Part 2 (suspended for 7 games)

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Pray tell why the DoPS couldn't have suspended him for 10 games or let's just say 8 games... if they had the intestinal fortitude to do that.
I look forward to reading your qualified expert judicial opinion.

8 games maybe since 1 game isn't too different, any longer though like lets say 10 games would just get appealed and reduced since there is no basis for a suspension of that length.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Do you honestly believe the DOPS gets everything right?

One player got fined because he was Chara.

Both should have been suspended.

Ah yes, another poster who all thinks it’s a conspiracy. If anything, Chara could probably use the couple games rest at his age.

As has already been stated, sometimes players get carried away with stick work or don’t swing where they wanted to.

No sane person uses their damn skate blades to kick another person. There’s a reason it’s barely happened, and there’s a reason it’s a suspension every single time.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Ah yes, another poster who all thinks it’s a conspiracy. If anything, Chara could probably use the couple games rest at his age.

As has already been stated, sometimes players get carried away with stick work or don’t swing where they wanted to.

No sane person uses their damn skate blades to kick another person. There’s a reason it’s barely happened, and there’s a reason it’s a suspension every single time.

You kind of glossed over things to create an argument where there is not one. I never once stated that kicking should not be a suspension, not once, you outright put words in my mouth that were never stated.

So you think even if Chara accidently(and he did not at all) hit Galahger in the throat with his stick, it does not take away the danger of that play(that is a good way to literally kill someone).

There was no statement of conspiracy, Chara avoided suspension with his Patchoretty hit and with this one.
It is no secret the league is a little softer on star players and not so much on repeat offenders(duh).

Also if you bothered to read any of my other posts.....I AGREED THAT HE SHOULD BE SUSPENDED BECAUSE KICKING HAS NO PLACE IN THE NHL.....neither does crosschecks to the throat or hitting from behind....you know plays that could end in a fatality.

I hope that cleared it up for you and if you wonder if I stated something please by all means quote my stuff....just do not make stuff up.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Lol at the oiler fanboys trying to defend this after what they were saying about Girodano/Tkachuk, I expected nothing less from them though.
Bulk of the Oiler fan base has actually agreed with the suspension.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You kind of glossed over things to create an argument where there is not one. I never once stated that kicking should not be a suspension, not once, you outright put words in my mouth that were never stated.

So you think even if Chara accidently(and he did not at all) hit Galahger in the throat with his stick, it does not take away the danger of that play(that is a good way to literally kill someone).

There was no statement of conspiracy, Chara avoided suspension with his Patchoretty hit and with this one.
It is no secret the league is a little softer on star players and not so much on repeat offenders(duh).

Also if you bothered to read any of my other posts.....I AGREED THAT HE SHOULD BE SUSPENDED BECAUSE KICKING HAS NO PLACE IN THE NHL.....neither does crosschecks to the throat or hitting from behind....you know plays that could end in a fatality.

I hope that cleared it up for you and if you wonder if I stated something please by all means quote my stuff....just do not make stuff up.

You’re comparing the plays like they’re of similar stupidity.

Kicking someone with your skate is on an entirely different level of stupidity and was rightfully suspended for much longer.

It’s a stupid point to bring up in “defense” of Kassian.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
8 games maybe since 1 game isn't too different, any longer though like let's say 10 games would just get appealed and reduced since there is no basis for a suspension of that length.
You mean reduced because there's no precedent? Don't tell that to the courts. Obviously they've been doing it all wrong over the years because courts make precedent rulings all the time.
No reason why the DoPS can't be allowed to make a precedent ruling in this case, too. Times change and over time certain infractions become even less acceptable. Plus the guy was on the carpet 5 WEEKS AGO with DoPS. Its obvious he has a difficult time learning to control his temper... and don't tell me a bs story that he wasn't pissed off when he kicked Cernak in the chest.
Plus if they know the player is going to play the appeal game the DoPS could give him 20 so that it could get knocked back to 10 upon review.

nshlphoenix

Feb 11, 2020

Everyone keeps bringing up Chara and it has zero to do with the kick. Did Chara kick him? No. Did Kassian crosscheck him? No. Not comparable at all. Get over it and move on.

Reactions: Dexter Colt

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
You mean reduced because there's no precedent? Don't tell that to the courts. Obviously they've been doing it all wrong over the years because courts make precedent rulings all the time.
No reason why the DoPS can't be allowed to make a precedent ruling in this case, too. Times change and over time certain infractions become even less acceptable. Plus the guy was on the carpet 5 WEEKS AGO with DoPS. Its obvious he has a difficult time learning to control his temper... and don't tell me a bs story that he wasn't pissed off when he kicked Cernak in the chest.
Plus if they know the player is going to play the appeal game the DoPS could give him 20 so that it could get knocked back to 10 upon review.

In each of the past two seasons there's been cases where the time frame between suspensions was a lot shorter than 5 weeks and the league still only added an additional 2 or 3 games so your argument of 5 WEEKS AGO doesn't really work on why they can add too many additional games

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
In each of the past two seasons there's been cases where the time frame between suspensions was a lot shorter than 5 weeks and the league still only added an additional 2 or 3 games so your argument of 5 WEEKS AGO doesn't really work on why they can add too many additional games
Well a 4 to 5 game punishment (lets disregard the 2-3 game repeat offender penalty for the time being) is just ridiculous for what Kassian did. Kicking someone in the chest with your skate blade deserves much more than that, even for a first time offender.

But... lets get on to the main point of my post...
You haven't explained why the DoPS would not be allowed to give a precedent punishment of say 10 games. Are precedents not allowed in DoPS rulings?

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Well a 4 to 5 game punishment (lets disregard the 2-3 game repeat offender penalty for the time being) is just ridiculous for what Kassian did. Kicking someone in the chest with your skate blade deserves much more than that, even for a first time offender.

But... lets get on to the main point of my post...
You haven't explained why the DoPS would not be allowed to give a precedent punishment of say 10 games. Are precedents not allowed in DoPS rulings?

Because between the Skinner suspension and Pronger suspension there is already a level of precedent that exists. If you were to take this suspension to a neutral arbitrator with the argument "we decided to treat this different then last cases" that argument doesn't hold up by itself. At this point the league needs to add kicking to its list of automatic 10 game suspensions (which I have no problem with) if they really want to increase the severity for the punishment of kicking.

It was the same with Tom Wilson last year, they messed up with the length of his third suspension because it was the playoffs so they reduced it, then tried to throw the book at him and set precedent for suspension #4 in 13 months and it got reduced from 20 to 14 games by a neutral arbitrator.

And yes maybe there's an argument made that if they tried a super long term suspension like 20 games that it'd still be more games than 7 once appealed, but I dont think the league is really keen to because it doesn't really reflect well on yourself when a neutral party keeps reducing your suspensions

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Everyone keeps bringing up Chara and it has zero to do with the kick. Did Chara kick him? No. Did Kassian crosscheck him? No. Not comparable at all. Get over it and move on.

If you had actually read the posts, Chara was used by many here as an example as to why DOPS is very inconsistant.

If you do not like the posts you don't need to respond to them or read them.

And again I agree with DOPS on the Kassian suspension.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
DoPS is a joke, that said Kassian deserves every game he got. People calling for 10+ are insane.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
And just like that, Cernak injures another talented player. Rantanen out long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad