NHL Player - Kasperi Kapanen

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I have to wonder if Brown or Kapanen get tried on the left wing. Nobody wants either player stuck on the 4th line and with Nylander clearly stayingRW with the addition of Tavares, and Marner at RW, without a trade we have 2 guys in Kappy and Brownie that we all (for the most part) like being stuck in a 4RW role. When Marleau is gone maybe as soon as next year for cap reasons, another LW spot opens but we are still heavy RW. Have to wonder if Babs tries a 3rd line of Brown-Kadri-Kapanen and throws Johnsson on the 4th line. Keep Johnsson's stats a touch lower and re-sign him for cheap when he needs a new contract after this season. Then move Johnsson up when Marleau is gone.
LW- Hyman,Brown,Johnsson
RW-Marner,Nylander,Kapanen
Seems more ideal than when Marleau goes having;
LW- Hyman,Johnsson
RW-Marner,Nylander,Brown,Kapanen

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
It all depends on how Babcock uses him. If he can get up with Matty or JT for a while, maybe 2nd pp, he will crack 20 for sure.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Happy Birthday:
2.png
Kasperi Kapanen (22 yrs)

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If a team wants to overpay for Kapanen let it happen. What would Kapanen even fetch? Surely not a first round pick. Kapanen can not think the game and his ceiling is limited because of that.

****Trade Gardiner and Kapanen for a RD. Gardiner doesnt fit long term. Too many LD in the pipeline to push up.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Kapanen is levels ahead of where Hyman was at his age, but Hyman has an immense leash and we should trade/demote Kapanen or something.

I truly hate the double standards here, we give infinite rope to Hyman, Brown and Komarov, meanwhile Kap has two mediocre PRESEASON games and Babcock and co are out for blood....just lol.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I have to wonder if Brown or Kapanen get tried on the left wing. Nobody wants either player stuck on the 4th line and with Nylander clearly stayingRW with the addition of Tavares, and Marner at RW, without a trade we have 2 guys in Kappy and Brownie that we all (for the most part) like being stuck in a 4RW role. When Marleau is gone maybe as soon as next year for cap reasons, another LW spot opens but we are still heavy RW. Have to wonder if Babs tries a 3rd line of Brown-Kadri-Kapanen and throws Johnsson on the 4th line. Keep Johnsson's stats a touch lower and re-sign him for cheap when he needs a new contract after this season. Then move Johnsson up when Marleau is gone.
LW- Hyman,Brown,Johnsson
RW-Marner,Nylander,Kapanen
Seems more ideal than when Marleau goes having;
LW- Hyman,Johnsson
RW-Marner,Nylander,Brown,Kapanen

I do. They really don't add to lines with better players.

Sure they can fill in a few shifts a year, but do you really want Brown or Kap in your top 6?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Kapanen is levels ahead of where Hyman was at his age, but Hyman has an immense leash and we should trade/demote Kapanen or something.

I truly hate the double standards here, we give infinite rope to Hyman, Brown and Komarov, meanwhile Kap has two mediocre PRESEASON games and Babcock and co are out for blood....just lol.

U dont understand. Hyman's forechecking, puck pursuit is as good as anyone in the NHL. He isnt relied on for skill. Kapanen doesn't have the skill or the grit to specialize in any area. He is 4th liner with speed who wont win battles.

Reactions: therealkoho

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

You mean fans right? Not Babcock.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
U dont understand. Hyman's forechecking, puck pursuit is as good as anyone in the NHL. He isnt relied on for bring skill. Kapanen doesn't have the skill or the grit to specialize in any area.

He's 22 and is already one of the best skaters in the NHL.

As far as grit goes, I've seen Hyman attempt to lay hits and mostly get flattened, meanwhile I've actually seen Kap dish out a few solid hits.

He should absolutely have an opportunity to showcase himself with good players like JT, Mitch or Auston, we've given such opportunities to trash like Brown, Hyman and even Komarov, but we can't afford it to a 22 year old speed demon?

Give him a good opportunity and then if he fails hit me up with that theory.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Kappy should have been on Matthews line from the start of the preseason instead of a player whos destined to play on the marlies.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He's 22 and is already one of the best skaters in the NHL.

As far as grit goes, I've seen Hyman attempt to lay hits and mostly get flattened, meanwhile I've actually seen Kap dish out a few solid hits.

He should absolutely have an opportunity to showcase himself with good players like JT, Mitch or Auston, we've given such opportunities to trash like Brown, Hyman and even Komarov, but we can't afford it to a 22 year old speed demon?

Give him a good opportunity and then if he fails hit me up with that theory.

If u can't see it now, u never will. Kapanen is outsmarted on every odd man rush he gets with his speed. They dare him to shoot and he forces the pass. He never makes a high end play. It ends after his great speed. This isnt the old Maple Leafs regime. They can upgrade the bottom 6 by moving him out. Surely, Leivo should never sit in place of Kapanen. Leivo has hockey sense and deserves a shot.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
If u can't see it now, u never will. Kapanen is outsmarted on every odd man rush he gets with his speed. They dare him to shoot and he forces the pass. He never makes a high end play. It ends after his great speed. This isnt the old Maple Leafs regime. They can upgrade the bottom 6 by moving him out. Surely, Leivo should never sit in place of Kapanen. Leivo has hockey sense and deserves a shot.

This sounds a lot like Hyman and Brown who have infinite leashes and both were just as invisible in the preseason as well.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Kappy should have been on Matthews line from the start of the preseason instead of a player whos destined to play on the marlies.
I don't think they will demote Marleau. lol

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Kapanen will be fine. He's relied on as depth scoring and pk, and I think he can give that with the potential of a little more.

Tonight was about the Lindholm line not being able to hide behind the big 3 centres. It wasn't awful in that regard as Kappy got himself that pesky first goal. I think Babcock has his forward lines - save for Willy - figured out.

Lets remember this line will see other teams 4th lines. Depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad