NHL Player - Kasperi Kapanen

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I was a big fan of Komarov's work on the right side of the puck. However, you weren't about to see tic-tac-toe passing plays with him. Connor Brown had 14 assists. 10 of them were first assists. This is the same amount as Marleau. Kapanen had a very decent goals/60, but honestly, can he tic-tac-toe himself? The answer so far is a resounding no. He has some of the worst passing stats the Leafs have seen in their franchise history. Goons have done more. He'll be a defensive player that the line tries to break-out for breakaways. I don't see him being part of any offensive equation working with others. He has potential, but he has plenty of work to do.

You expect great passing stats From Kapanen when the receivers are 0 goals in 17 games Plekanec, and unable to pot in a gimme to save his life Komarov. Give your head a shake. He had 46 goals and 64 assists with the Marlies. How did that happen? His linemates weren't broken down geezers.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Brown has been put at the bottom of the lineup, or made to play an entirely defensive game in order for JvR to do his thing with Bozak, a because he isn't Nylander or Marner or B, Marleau was being paid 6 mil, and the love afair Babcock had with the severely declining Komarov. When he has been given the opportunity to play an offensive game he's done comparably to what Marleau managed with a 30 goal center and the team's top scorer. I point out that 5 of Marleau's goals were empty netters, so not so impressive, is it, when he only scored 2 more goals against a goalie than Brown did in his rookie year? Fact is, both Brown and Kap have equivalent shooting percentages to Marleau, so this is a case, not of Marleau's overriding talent, but of the place he was given on a silver platter and a gold plated retirement contract, for you know, his past performances, not his present or future. Kapanen, like Brown have been shoved down in the lineup because the vets, regardless of their flaws were put ahead of them. This year, they'll finally have a chance to excel they should have been offered last year.

pretty sick of the argument, that line was getting 60% offensive zone starts. They were heavily sheltered excusing Browns total lack of scoring by pretending he had a defensive job only is beyond ridiculous, If brown can only do offense OR defense then he is one dimensional and it would not of hurt to try Kapanen in browns spot last year and perhaps Kapanen could have done both.

This year one of Brown and Kap are going to be on the 4th line, there are 2 RW they will never surpass (marner and Nylander) therefore only Kadri's RW is available IMO its time to see what kapanen can do in a more offensive role. Even when he scored 20 goals brown still only managed 36 points, lets see what kapanen can do. Unless of course babcock switches kap to LW but that then would be at the expense of Johnsson

Reactions: weems

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Some Leafs fans never learn. He's 21. And his progression up until this point has been very solid.

Last year, at ES, he was deployed with the highest defensive zone start rate of all regulars. He still managed a very good xGF% (53.37), CF% (50.74), and when he was on the ice -- despite this extreme defensive deployment -- the team only gave up 53.34 shot attempts per 60, which is by far the best of any regular on the team.

He is really developing his defensive game nicely, and given the offensive tools he already possesses, when he moves up in the lineup (hopefully to replace Marleau, when he moves to Robidas Island), his offensive numbers will pop. But they haven't even been bad thus far. Out of the 28 players with 350+ minutes and <36 ZSR, a P1/60 of 0.96 is 9th in scoring rate, and 5th in GS/60.

Dude is a good young player. Not anywhere close to the quality we gave up to get him, but he's what we need to replace our old, expensive top 6 parts.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
playing with bad talent on bottom line, no PP, and little ice time, and kapanen still managed 15 goals per 82 games last season, pretty impressive

that speed is special, and dangerous, has created some nice goals with it already...and his shot and skills are improving and coming along, 2 years younger than johnsson and producing offense just as well in the ahl

could be a very useful winger with elite speed, great defender and PKer, with 20-30 goals 50 points potential

Kap's points extrapolated to 82 games = 19.4
Matt Martin's points extrapolated to 82 games = 19.7

He's a useful player, but aside from 3 high profile goals, he really hasn't done much offensively yet.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
pretty sick of the argument, that line was getting 60% offensive zone starts. They were heavily sheltered excusing Browns total lack of scoring by pretending he had a defensive job only is beyond ridiculous, If brown can only do offense OR defense then he is one dimensional and it would not of hurt to try Kapanen in browns spot last year and perhaps Kapanen could have done both.

This year one of Brown and Kap are going to be on the 4th line, there are 2 RW they will never surpass (marner and Nylander) therefore only Kadri's RW is available IMO its time to see what kapanen can do in a more offensive role. Even when he scored 20 goals brown still only managed 36 points, lets see what kapanen can do. Unless of course babcock switches kap to LW but that then would be at the expense of Johnsson

Pretty sick of the argument that Bozak and JvR are defensively responsible and don't need a 'third defenseman' on their line to ensure they don't let in more goals than they score.

Obviously you've never watched the game if you think Brown wasn't playing 3rd defenseman for that tandem. Total lack of scoring? His sh% didn't go down, just the number of shots. Why wasn't he getting as much shots as before, maybe because Bozak passed to JvR and not him. And because he was too busy preventing his line from being the sieve that has been known for for years. Do you think it was a total coincidence that Bozak and JvR managed to not be major minus players this year as opposed to the last several years? Do you really believe it is a coincidence that they were both minus players with Marner, but plus players with Brown? How many players can be both all offense and all defense anyways? Not many.

Kapanen isn't the same player that Brown is. His main advantage is his speed. That means, as with Grabner, he actually needs players who can keep up with him to be able to coordinate with or give him the seconds of space and time he needs to score, or you'll get another performance like Grabner offered when he was a leaf. Whatever pairing he gets should be what he needs to excel. You put him with slowpokes like Komarov and Plekanec next season and you'll get what we got this year.

Last edited:

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Kap's points extrapolated to 82 games = 19.4
Matt Martin's points extrapolated to 82 games = 19.7

He's a useful player, but aside from 3 high profile goals, he really hasn't done much offensively yet.

Sure, and Grabner got a grand total of 18 pts in his year in Toronto, but somehow 52 goals in 133 games with New York. Bad/inappropriate linemates do make a difference since this is a team sport and not golf.

Oh, but the way, his center, Plekanec? His point total extrapolates to 0 goals and 9 assists over 82 games. Komarov offered little more. Who is going to put up decent assist numbers carrying that kind of garbage on their line. Let me help - no one.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Sure, and Grabner got a grand total of 18 pts in his year in Toronto, but somehow 52 goals in 133 games with New York. Bad/inappropriate linemates do make a difference since this is a team sport and not golf.

Which is why I compared his 82 game extrapolation to another 4th line Maple Leaf as opposed to a 15 minute a night New York Ranger.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Which is why I compared his 82 game extrapolation to another 4th line Maple Leaf as opposed to a 15 minute a night New York Ranger.

Bad linemates are bad linmates, not matter what your TOI. How about comparing Kap to someone playing with a center with a 0% sh% and a fellow winger with a 6% sh%. You won't find many assist leaders out there, will you?

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Pretty sick of the argument that Bozak and JvR are defensively responsible and don't need a 'third defenseman' on their line to ensure they don't let in more goals than they score.

Obviously you've never watched the game if you think Brown wasn't playing 3rd defenseman for that tandem. Total lack of scoring? His sh% didn't go down, just the number of shots. Why wasn't he getting as much shots as before, maybe because Bozak passed to JvR and not him. And because he was too busy preventing his line from being the sieve that has been known for for years. Do you think it was a total coincidence that Bozak and JvR managed to not be major minus players this year as opposed to the last several years? Do you really believe it is a coincidence that they were both minus players with Marner, but plus players with Brown? How many players can be both all offense and all defense anyways? Not many.

Kapanen isn't the same player that Brown is. His main advantage is his speed. That means, as with Grabner, he actually needs players who can keep up with him to be able to coordinate with or give him the seconds of space and time he needs to score, or you'll get another performance like Grabner offered when he was a leaf. Whatever pairing he gets should be what he needs to excel. You put him with slowpokes like Komarov and Plekanec next season and you'll get what we got this year.

JVR -2 to a +1 & Bozak a little bit better at -1 to a +6. That is not a "major" turn around at all

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Didnt martin have half his points playing with marner/nylander? Matt martin was a liability despite a decent pace scoring wise. Kapanen even with poor production mostly due to bad linemates and bad luck along with some adjustment to the nhl game, still was a positive player who could be a weapon on the penalty kill and has a lot of ro to grow. Kapanen will be compared to Hyman, johnsson, and brown next season.. I see us keeping 2 out of 4 of these guys long term.

Reactions: Menzinger

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
JVR -2 to a +1 & Bozak a little bit better at -1 to a +6. That is not a "major" turn around at all

They were pretty bad defensively the first half of this year. No one can argue that, and Babcock would support me there. Mid season all three of that line were in serious negative territory. That was one of the reasons Marner was taken off their line, because JvR and Bozak were making him worse. Brown help right the line. Dislike Brown all you want, he did his job and sacrificed offense to do it (he had almost 50 fewer shots on goal this year). If he was taking shots and not being told to watch JvR's and Bozak's rears, he would have had 20 goals again, as his shooting percentage was entirely consistant with his rookie frame.

Kaps was just under Marleau's as well, but he had crappy linemates to carry. Both are capable of managing Marleaus 22 non-empty net goals this year if they aren't shunted to the 4th line or expected to play 3rd defenceman. As are Leivo and Johnsson. Trouble is, there are only 2 third line slots and 4 potential players to claim them. But at least the 4th line won't have 2/3 garbage players like it did for a good portion of last year.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I have no idea where Brown and Kapanen will be playing this year.

Brown really reminds me of a bottom 6 winger, whereas I could see Kapanen as a middle 6 winger.

But then Hyman looks like a bottom 6 winger and he plays 1st. line.

If players were always healthy ... you wouldn't need more than more than 12 forwards.

EDIT: I would not be surprised if the Leafs do make a move for a defender, and perhaps follow the Raptors and go big game hunting.

I suspect one of Kapanen or Brown is moved between now and the fall for a D man.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
IMO we should move Brown, keep Kapanen. Kap is better defensively, better on the PK, much faster, more physical, and with time I think he’ll be comparable if not better offensively too - don’t forget that Kapanen is 21, while Brown is 24. I see Kapanen maturing into a great 3rd line RW, Brown is just kinda there, without making much impact.

IMO Brown is like a slightly less talented, winger version of Bozak - produces decently, but otherwise doesn’t impact the game much. Kapanen has the ability to be very good defensively, tough to contain due to his speed, while hopefully bringing similar production. If I could only keep one, it’d be Kap.

I’d also move Brown first too.

I like the guy but don’t think his trade value will be any higher than it is now.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I think the Leafs have done everything possible to get Johnson, Kapanen, Dermot and even Brown along to now let them be good NHLers.. It's same with every team, guys leave via retirement or UFA and now the young ones you've been developing now have their chance.
Johnson and Kapanen seem smart, fast. I just wonder if they are going to score in the NHL.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I think the Leafs have done everything possible to get Johnson, Kapanen, Dermot and even Brown along to now let them be good NHLers.. It's same with every team, guys leave via retirement or UFA and now the young ones you've been developing now have their chance.
Johnson and Kapanen seem smart, fast. I just wonder if they are going to score in the NHL.
Yes, I agree. This can be a very telling year for those players,I keep them!
Brown bleeds blue and white,he is a homer,he is a smart ,tenacious player that may be able to slot in anywhere needed! The other 3 have shown very good upside,nope,gotta keep'em for now.
I think a potent offensive machine with responsible forwards will take pressure off the D corps!

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Didnt martin have half his points playing with marner/nylander? Matt martin was a liability despite a decent pace scoring wise. Kapanen even with poor production mostly due to bad linemates and bad luck along with some adjustment to the nhl game, still was a positive player who could be a weapon on the penalty kill and has a lot of room to grow. Kapanen will be compared to Hyman, johnsson, and brown next season.. I see us keeping 2 out of 4 of these guys long term.

That's fair.

I want him to succeed, I'm just not as enamoured with him as some are.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Brown is going to play more this year. He is playing with Kadri and Ennis to start season. He will have a lot better year offensively. Kappy is going to play more on pk this year and will play with Goat and Johnsson in limited minutes on the 4th line. I think what you will see is Marleau will shift down if not this year then next for sure. And Kappy will move up to play with Nylander. They have good chemistry when they play together. Also you will see more of Babs getting ticked with Nylander lack of defensive effort and you will also see kappy move up to play more with Matty.

Guaranteed you wont see Babs mess with Tavares Marner or Hyman. He is going to stick with that line all season. Again if Marner forgets his defensive role then you will see Matty shift to left wing at times and play with Tavares and hyman shifts to right side.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Brown is going to play more this year. He is playing with Kadri and Ennis to start season. He will have a lot better year offensively. Kappy is going to play more on pk this year and will play with Goat and Johnsson in limited minutes on the 4th line. I think what you will see is Marleau will shift down if not this year then next for sure. And Kappy will move up to play with Nylander. They have good chemistry when they play together. Also you will see more of Babs getting ticked with Nylander lack of defensive effort and you will also see kappy move up to play more with Matty.

Guaranteed you wont see Babs mess with Tavares Marner or Hyman. He is going to stick with that line all season. Again if Marner forgets his defensive role then you will see Matty shift to left wing at times and play with Tavares and hyman shifts to right side.
I'd rather have Tavares on the left-wing if he's playing Mats in critical situations. You keep the analytical darling in the middle to drive offensive zone possession that very few can do. Tavares-Marner can play a more looser role as wingers and let their creativity overwhelm the opposition.

Personally, I think Nylander blossoms this season. You need someone more skilled than Hyman to play that high-skilled utility role ( i.e. Marleau, Johnsson) as that isn't his game. Tavares - Marner play a far more involved game and would benefit more from a third guy like Hyman.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Unless Goat and Ennis suddenly jump a full magnitude better than they have been over the past 2+ years, they are both starting the year in the Coca Coloseum. The Leaf's didn't not resign Komarov to ice 2 players who are worse then he was last year.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I think the general point is that Kapanen should be at least given a long look with quality linemates.
Until he's given that chance for a decent sample size we really dont not know what we truly have in him. I'm sorry but playing on a 4th line and playing 10 minutes a night isnt anywhere close enough to a decent oppurtunity to gauge what the kid is capable of. I mean if we dont plan on at least giving him a look higher up in the lineup and are just going to pigeonhole him as a 4th liner we might as well trade him and get some value.

This doesnt even have to be a Brown vs Kapanen thing. This should be a asset management thing and right now by just stapling him to the 4th line without any look with more quality linemates and more icetime noone really knows what he is and thats silly imo.

We already know what we basically have in Brown. If we push Kapanen up in the lineup and he falls on his face its very easy to just put him back on the 4th line but at least we gave the kid a legitimate look.

I dont understand why some are so against just giving him a look? Its not like Brown is Mitch Marner and the talent gap between the two players is massive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max Money

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Kapanen for puljujarvi? Adds speed to mcdavid/oilers and adds size to our top 9
That's tough cause you're gambling away a pretty much sure fire bottom 6 NHLer (at least) in Kap for a mystery box possible top 6 player in Pulju. I like to think I'm pretty high on Pulju but I'm not sure I'd gamble for that, especially with the Leafs strength at the right wing currently. Maybe Nylander moves to the left but still, kinda risky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad