Prospect Info: Kasper Puutio (2020, #153 overall), KalPa (Liiga)

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Mfw+waiting+for+gifs+to+load+on+this+slow+ass+computer+_256a108138a76d22976f15ce8012a3b4.jpg

Bagged another RD.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He was selected #1 overall in the 2019 WHL import draft. That says something to me. He sounds like a very calm, reliable Defender.

Yeah, Sourdif was our best value pick imo, but Puutio wasnt far behind. He had pretty good numbers for a guy not counted on for that, and it also says something that a contender wanted to pluck him from Swift Current in the first place. Decent size, composed, smooth skater, big tool box. I think this was a very good pick.

Reactions: Cold Cat

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
He was selected #1 overall in the 2019 WHL import draft. That says something to me. He sounds like a very calm, reliable Defender.
CHL import draft (especially the top picks) is more about picking guys that you already know are coming over. Most of them have agreements already in place before they get drafted.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
Reactions: Dread Clawz

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It is interesting Nevalainen from Dobber Prospects mentioned that going into this year Puutio was considered the best Finnish defenseman. Seems as though it was a down year considering the Finnish defenseman drafted highest was Niemela at 64 overall, but still speaks to the potential value getting Puutio almost 100 picks later.

Yeah, he definitely had some pedigree heading into the season. He probably wasn't the best Finnish born D talent by the end of the season, but he didn't do anything to hurt himself. He probably should have gone higher than the 5th. He's going to be an intriguing prospect to watch over the next couple years for sure.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
As of today I've seen 2 games from Puutio. In the first match he was really solid defensively. On the second he did few mistakes with the puck and few with his positioning.

At the moment I don't have anything else to say. I'll try to keep you posted on how he's doing.

Where's he playing?

Stoat

Jan 5, 2014
Oulu
Where's he playing?
Yeah, just like the post above said. Puutio is playing with Kärpät. I think he'll play more in Kärpät U20 than the Liiga, but we'll see.

On Kärpät depth chart he's dman #11. So there's not going to be much ice time with men. Even Finnish top defensive prospect Topi Niemelä is not going to get many games with men.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yeah, just like the post above said. Puutio is playing with Kärpät. I think he'll play more in Kärpät U20 than the Liiga, but we'll see.

On Kärpät depth chart he's dman #11. So there's not going to be much ice time with men. Even Finnish top defensive prospect Topi Niemelä is not going to get many games with men.
Wasn’t Kasper a better prospect at the start of last season?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

They could loan him to another Liiga team I guess, if he goes a long time without playing Liiga minutes. Off the top of my head Kärpät has in recent years had young players loaned to teams like Ässät, Pelicans and Sport.

Stoat

Jan 5, 2014
Oulu
Wasn’t Kasper a better prospect at the start of last season?

I think it was quite even. And to be fair, it is still quite even.

They could loan him to another Liiga team I guess, if he goes a long time without playing Liiga minutes. Off the top of my head Kärpät has in recent years had young players loaned to teams like Ässät, Pelicans and Sport.

They could and they have done it in the past. However, usually young players are loaned to Hermes in Mestis. And I think that big minutes with men in Mestis(Second tier in Finland) is the best way to go for players under 20 that are too good for u20 and not good enough for big minutes in Liiga.

Reactions: violaswallet

Stoat

Jan 5, 2014
Oulu
Puutio was interviewed by a local podcast, Petopodi, just a few days ago. I got a really mature and smart impression out of him. The host asked him about who he thinks reminds best his playstyle in the NHL. He responded with Seth Jones and John Klingberg.

Puutio is playing today 2nd defensive pairing for Kärpät. I'll try to keep an eye on him.

Stoat

Jan 5, 2014
Oulu
A bit unfortunate game for Puutio today. He was on ice both times visitors scored, and end up with -2 rating. He had some good plays here and there, but he is still too young to play with men. I expect him to get ice time only when 2 or more of our top 6 d-men are out.

One thing I forgot to mention about the podcast interview. Puutio has been practicing with NHL players from Oulu during summer and fall. These players include Sebastian Aho, Pekka Rinne and newly added Panther, Markus Nutivaara.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->