Former Bruins Karson Kuhlman waived - claimed by Seattle

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
I think I've made this argument before. While I think most are correct in that his talent and scoring touch are limited, his mere presence on the second line increases the net production of Krejci and Debrusk. He creates oodles of turn-overs in the offensive zone. Is a whirling dervish on the forecheck. But most importantly, his speed creates more space for Krejci and odd mans with Jake. Don't be surprised at a 20g-25a line at the end of the season, but he might be the spark that gets Jake to 40g and Krejci to 80 points. This is a classic scenario of the sum being greater than its parts.

But then again, I could be over thinking it and my line of thought goes down in flames mid-season.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think I've made this argument before. While I think most are correct in that his talent and scoring touch are limited, his mere presence on the second line increases the net production of Krejci and Debrusk. He creates oodles of turn-overs in the offensive zone. Is a whirling dervish on the forecheck. But most importantly, his speed creates more space for Krejci and odd mans with Jake. Don't be surprised at a 20g-25a line at the end of the season, but he might be the spark that gets Jake to 40g and Krejci to 80 points. This is a classic scenario of the sum being greater than its parts.

But then again, I could be over thinking it and my line of thought goes down in flames mid-season.

I think more than anything if the 2nd line can just get someone who can be a mainstay to create some chemistry it will be a vast improvement. The constant revolving door is what hurts most. Really pulling for kuhlman to just be serviceable in that department

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011

I agree with this. Kuhlman isn't a guy that's going to generate his own offense, but he creates so many turnovers with his speed and tenacity. He's smart enough to know his own capabilities and makes simple plays that maintain possession and create chances for his line mates. He also has some finishing ability that we haven't seen in a lot of the other forward prospects. I'm sure his NCAA stats would look pretty good with Krejci and Debrusk caliber players as his linemates.

I get the feeling that some people are too rigidly fixed in their views of what a "Top 6" or "Top 9" forward looks like. Not every forward playing on the 2nd line needs to be Nathan Horton and not every 3rd line guy needs to be PJ Axelsson. It's more about finding combinations that work together to outcompete, outchance and outscore their competition. Kuhlman has shown that he can play a role on a scoring line that does this consistently against other scoring lines. He'll probably have some ups and downs (which is completely normal for a young guy) but after last year and this preseason I feel pretty good about giving him another shot in that role.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'm interested in seeing what sort of improvement he makes this year. In college, he was basically the same player for his four years there (10 G/10 A, 20 PTS). That tells me that he adjusts quickly to a higher level of play, but maybe he's not capable of moving beyond that. I think it's fine if he's just the same player offensively, but if he is, then hopefully he doesn't end the year on the 2nd line.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
It seemed from the playoffs that he was not always positioned correctly on defense including on backcheck -- is this an area of improvement or do I just have bad eyesight?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`m a fence sitter when it comes to Kuhlman in regards to where he`ll line up, love the guy`s motor and hustle, think he`s an ideal 3rd line guy but also wouldn`t be totally shocked, if he plays a full season (far too premature to etch his name in stone there) I could see him popping 15 -20 goals riding shotgun with DK

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It seemed from the playoffs that he was not always positioned correctly on defense including on backcheck -- is this an area of improvement or do I just have bad eyesight?

Yes, I think he has some great hustle but he has plenty of room for improvement. He also turned over a few pucks inside the blueline in the playoffs. In the pre-season he had some neutral zone turnovers that he shouldn't have had.

However I think that's something the Bruins think they can fix. Sean Kuraly used to have one bad neutral zone turnover per game but now it almost never happens. Heinen too.

I think management believes in his shot and scoring more than this board. I think they believe he can be a consistent +20-goal scorer. Watch his shot closely. Even when he doesn't score he gets rebounds because it fools goalies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Yes, I think he has some great hustle but he has plenty of room for improvement. He also turned over a few pucks inside the blueline in the playoffs. In the pre-season he had some neutral zone turnovers that he shouldn't have had.

However I think that's something the Bruins think they can fix. Sean Kuraly used to have one bad neutral zone turnover per game but now it almost never happens. Heinen too.

I think management believes in his shot and scoring more than this board. I think they believe he can be a consistent +20-goal scorer. Watch his shot closely. Even when he doesn't score he gets rebounds because it fools goalies.

His shot reminds me of Kessel's the way he gets it off and how quick it gets on net

aguineapig

Read up on Kit Karson quite a bit the summer he signed, (no first round pick that year, traded to Rags). Heart and soul, always wore a letter wherever he played, Captain of UMD national champion squad. Scored game winner in championship game, Frozen Four MVP. Never a big goal scorer, but a scorer of big goals. My money's always on a money player.

Reactions: YouTakeTheVan

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
If someone does not put Karson in a pinstripe suit with a tommygun for Halloween I'm gonna be upset.

james-cagney-celebrity-image-232588.jpg

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
yeah but how quick can he jam hot dogs down his pie hole? There`s only one Kessel:laugh:
I don't understand the need to make mean spirited comments. He overcame and has since given his own time to help others. This world could use more like him.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Read up on Kit Karson quite a bit the summer he signed, (no first round pick that year, traded to Rags). Heart and soul, always wore a letter wherever he played, Captain of UMD national champion squad. Scored game winner in championship game, Frozen Four MVP. Never a big goal scorer, but a scorer of big goals. My money's always on a money player.
sounds like a guy we can all get behind.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
will be interested to see if sweeney tries to get kuhlman to sign a clifton type extension.
they are giving him prime ice time, may as well try to get that asset on the cheap down
the road.
Think they’re still trying to figure out what they have in him at the NHL level. Don’t think they’re all that worried that he’s going to light it up enough to warrant a big deal either.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I agree with this. Kuhlman isn't a guy that's going to generate his own offense, but he creates so many turnovers with his speed and tenacity. He's smart enough to know his own capabilities and makes simple plays that maintain possession and create chances for his line mates. He also has some finishing ability that we haven't seen in a lot of the other forward prospects. I'm sure his NCAA stats would look pretty good with Krejci and Debrusk caliber players as his linemates.

I get the feeling that some people are too rigidly fixed in their views of what a "Top 6" or "Top 9" forward looks like. Not every forward playing on the 2nd line needs to be Nathan Horton and not every 3rd line guy needs to be PJ Axelsson. It's more about finding combinations that work together to outcompete, outchance and outscore their competition. Kuhlman has shown that he can play a role on a scoring line that does this consistently against other scoring lines. He'll probably have some ups and downs (which is completely normal for a young guy) but after last year and this preseason I feel pretty good about giving him another shot in that role.
Good post. I’ll say this, he has an awesome release and wrist shot. I’d like to see him given some time to find his game on the 2nd line. He definitely isn’t a forth liner.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Good read. I love this kid as well. Late last season, Providence came to play up in Montreal and I remember telling my wife before the game, watch his kid Kuhlman tonight...didn't get on the scoresheet but he ended up being the best player on the ice that night. The stats aren't there now but you can just feel it will come together for him very shortly.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
I like Kuhlman as a player. I’m not sure he’s a top 6 forward that they need . HOWEVER definitely a spot for him on the team. He’s got speed and smarts.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
he's gonna be an excellent 3RW. compete, speed, net drive, sneaky shot, great details.
i'd offer him the clifton extension today. then put bjork on the other wing with coyle.
heinen with krejci until they figure out an upgrade there.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
The issue I see, is the incompatibility between Krejci and Kuhlman

Krejci and Debrusk are not the most compatible either, though they have some "tricks"

I would try to change up the lines (if the scoring drought continues- other than 1st line)

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Debrusk Coyle Kuhlman
Heinen Krejci Ritchie
4th line

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->